“felt like home with a soothing creek at back door, clean friendly”

Ramada Maggie Valley
Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed May 31, 2011

friendly caring employees, good enviroment, felt safe, clean rooms,second time here and i will be back

Room Tip: ask for a room on the creek
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank edisong

Reviewed February 16, 2011

Our family of 4 spent two nights at the Ramada Limited in Maggie Valley as our base for skiing at Cataloochee. After reading the other reviews on tripadvisor I nearly canceled but went ahead after discovering we were within the cancellation period. Our experience was better than most, the beds are relatively comfortable and the hotel relatively clean. The water pressure in the shower was excellent. The breakfast was OK and provided some fresh fruit to take to the ski slopes. There are waffles available for those who want something hot. Coffee and juices were adequate. Our Sunday night stay even qualified for a free lift ticket for my daughter. It is not a great place but for approximately $60 per night I did not expect Ritzy accommodations. I have not found any Ritzy accommodations in Maggie Valley. The front desk experience was the one disappointment; I paid in cash after reading the reviews and the hotel posted a pending charge to my credit card anyway. I discussed with the front desk clerk and she tried to be polite but was obviously not well trained. The clerk we spoke with at check-out was much less personable than Cathy who greeted us at check-in. Even at a Ramada Limited I do not want to see an employee's tramp stamp! Other than the one employee the stay was fine, not likely she we still be around if we return next year. Odds of staying again are 50/50 as there are no nice places to stay in Maggie Valley and the #1 property across from the Ramada looks a lot worse than the Ramada. I have stayed at 4 properties in Maggie with the Jonathan Creek Inn probably the best. Wish someone would build a new hotel but that is not likely as the tourism is not year-round.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank AthensGator
Reviewed January 3, 2011

My family decided to go skiing at Cataloochie Ski after Christmas. Picked the Ramada because it was close and had interior corridors. Had room with 2 queens and a sofa sleeper and micro/firdge. Room was nice size and the place was clean. Basic continental breakfast with waffles. I always bring micro bacon and that always helps. Hotel has two floors but no elevator. Normally this would not be a problem but with ski equipment and luggage, it was annoying. Staff was very friendly. Checked out early due to poor quality sleep. Pillows so overstuffed that neck hurt. Sofa sleeper was broken and mattress would fold like a taco. Reported this and received a roll away that basically did the same thing. Very noisy at 2am with small kids screaming and running in hall and doors slamming. We wanted to be close but if we return again I think I'll pick a hotel a little further out for comfort sake.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelNurse1
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I bid on Priceline.com and received the reservation for 12/26 -12/28/2010 at Ramada Limited. I paid $177 for the reservation. Before I go to Maggie Valley, I called the hotel to ask for a room with double bed, since we have four people (2 adults and 2 teenagers). They stated that we have to pay $10 extra for each person, each day ($60 extra) That came up to $237 plus tax, which is more expensive than if I booked directly on Ramada's web site. I tried to negotiate with hotel staff, but failed. I then called Priceline to request change my reservation, they refused, citing their rule is for 2 adults, non refundable--ect. They did however, sent a fax on my behalf to request no extra charge with double occupancy. Ramada limited refused . We ended up paying $48 extra for the three days stay, after I argued with the manager over the phone when we arrived at Ramada, The hotel room is OK, nothing special, clean enough, to be honest. The continental breakfast was terrible: not enough food, very limited selection, not enough chairs and tables. It's the first time I had to pay extra money for extra people in United State's hotel. My previous experience with Priceline was quiet positive, until this time. Basically, you are trapped if you bid on your hotel room on Priceline. I'll have to think twice to use Priceline again. Ramada Limited hotel , in my opinion is a money sucker.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sunnyside1905
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I get a discount through saverclub.com so I called this place to book 3 creekside rooms which was 44.00 per room with my discount, 1 for my husband, 5 and 10 yr old and I, and a room for each of my sisters and her family. When we arrived they were going to charge us 62.99 per room with no discount. I went to the lobby computer and showed the clerk at the front desk the 44.00 on the website. He saw it and changed the price to 44.00 and said he would get the manager to take care of it and it wouldn't be a problem. Well it turned out to be a big problem. The general manager, Mike Patel, was rude and not helpful at all. He refused to honor the rate that was originally quoted. He said that it needed to be booked online. If that was the case then they should have told me when I arrived. They did some sneaky things by cancelling my original reservation for the 3 rooms and then rebooked them. I called corp. and they were not much help either. I filed a dispute with my credit card because they charge the full price. I just got a response in the mail about the dispute with a signed copy of me approving the 62.99. The only thing that I signed was a 44.00 charge. They must have altered the original ticket. So I guess my next step will be the better business bureau.
The rooms were smelly with dirty carpet, broken locks on doors and uncomfortable beds. We didn't feel very safe there. The pool was small and the hot tub could fit 2 adults if your lucky.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jtofano
Reviewed October 12, 2010

This hotel was clean but in near of repair and overpriced. Bathroom had a leak above our shower. Pool was located next to the main lobby and puddles of water remained on the floor which was an accident waiting to happen.

Would not stay at this location again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank angelbCamden_Sc
Reviewed October 4, 2010

My parents, husband and I wanted to take our children (ages 7, 5 and 1) on their first Trip to Santa’s Land. I remember when I was little and my parents took my sibling and I every year. So, I want to start a new tradition for my little ones. I called the Ramada Limited Maggie Valley about a month in advance to reserve our one night stay (this is where my mom suggested because we stay there before.) I called and was happy with the service on all the phone calls (spoke with Keith, Mike and Lora). I called on Wednesday (prior to arrival) to confirm our arrival time and see if we could get the sleeper sofa ready because we were going to come in late. I spoke with Keith, very helpful and pleasant, he asked me to please give them a call 2 hours before arrival and he would also note the system of the request. I was so grateful and knew that this trip was going to be GREAT!
During the travel, the kids sleeping, I called the hotel 3 hours prior to arrival and spoke with Cathy. I told her who I was and wanted to confirm our arrival and see if she would go ahead and verify if the sleeper sofa bed had been taken care of. Ms. Cathy then paused and said that she was the only one working; she was really busy and would not be able to take care of this request. She also stated, “I should have requested this when I made our reservation.” I told her that “I call two days ago and it was note on the computer.” She said “let me look”…then she stated “yes it was but I don’t have time.” I then looked at my husband and told him what was going on. He wanted to find another hotel but I am a positive person and said “maybe she is just have a bad moment.” “I think we will be okay, let's just get to the hotel.”
Upon arrival at the hotel, the kids were asleep so I told my husband that I would go and check us in. I saw one other family checking in. Walked up to Cathy at the front desk and said “my name and we were checking in. Cathy stated “that we did not have reservation and she could put us in a room with two queen beds.” I was totally confused. I stated “I just spoke with you three hours ago to confirm my room.” She rolled her eyes, shrugged her shoulders and helped the other family. After helping the other family she then looked at me and said “yes, I have you right here.” I am still thinking positive! I was sleepy and wanted to get my kids in bed. Once she finally took the time to check me in, I asked her “if she took care of the sleeper sofa?” She stated “NO…Don’t you see I am busy and it has been this way all night.” (while rolling her eyes, again!) I said that's okay…I will go up to the room before my husband brings the children up and take care of it. I went back to the car asked my parents to go ahead up and we will give you guys a few minutes to get the room ready for the kids. My parents were fine with that, went up to the room and pulled out the sleeper sofa. My husband and I came into the room and my parents were disgusted by the unclean bed. It was horrible!! My parents went down stair to get clean sheets and Cathy was not very helpful once again. She made my parents wait for her, while she was on a personal call and then stated “we have the cleanest and best housekeeping, you must be needing sheet for something else.” My Mom stated, “And what would that be?” My parents came back to the room and we made up the sleeper sofa. After an hour and half later, we final got into bed.
The next morning (7am), My Mom and I got up went down to get breakfast for everyone. The breakfast was nice. After everyone headed to the car, I checked us out. I spoke with the friendly person, Lora; I told her about the unclean sleeper sofa, unfriendly and very unprofessional service from received from Cathy. I could have not been more disappointed and discouraged after one night at the Ramada. I would suggest that Ms. Cathy, you need to be aware of your behavior and actions. She should NOT treat people this way! I paid good money for a service and did not receive it!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
The Clarketon Motel
The Clarketon Motel
#10 of 25 in Maggie Valley

Been to Ramada Maggie Valley? Share your experiences!