All reviewsroom was cleanhot wafflesgreat place to staypleasant staydefinitely stay here againeasy accessmoteldeskpetdogexithighwaybrand
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Booked this hotel through Wyndham Rewards program; would have canceled but we got there too late to not be charged. We typically stop in Lumberton on our trip from FL to PA and back to FL. Would never stay at this Howard Johnson again, would never recommend to anyone with even the lowest of standards. There was a terrible odor in the lobby, which should have been my first clue. When we got inside, the halls were hot, muggy and very smelly - no a/c in the hallways and there is minimal lighting. The steps to the 2nd floor smelled of stale cigarettes, there were dead bugs (roaches) and the stairwells were filthy. Got to the room to find the a/c hadn't been turned on, it took several hours to get the temperature to a comfortable level. The bedspreads had visible stains and we removed them immediately. The furnishings were on the older side, but were otherwise fine. The bathroom had a sticky floor and there was a spider in the tub. The TV worked, the clock radio ran hours fast even after setting it to the correct time. Free 'breakfast' is included - mini donuts, mini muffins, cereal, juice, coffee and make-your-own waffles. However, only 2 small tables available, so we took our muffins and donuts to go. If I knew I would be able to upload pictures, I would have taken them.

Room Tip: Don't take a room at this hotel - go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I travel to Lumberton monthly and have stayed as some really poor hotels. It has always been just me and I though I could skimp on the quality to save some money, well all of those trips I have regretted. I found a great price for the Howard Johnson and thought I would give it a try. I was very impressed! From the first phone call verifying the price I found on the Internet and using the coupon I found on the city of Lumberton website, the price was out of this world. Even without the $10 off it would have been a bargain. The room was clean and very comfortable, the bed was a dream and everything was as promised. The staff was very polite and helpful and overall it was a great stay. I know where I am staying every month!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank spctessnc
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Very friendly desk lady. Room was good size, but very musty smelling. Thought it odd that the ironing board, and iron were mounted on the wall next to the room desk. Bathroom has new floor tile, but old wall tile. Hi "MIA" , from B-hill...she signed the towel hook on the wall with fingernail polish...don't know why it's still there. The toilet seat bolt covers were missing...pretty nasty looking. The sliding glass door was in really bad shape, and very hard to open and close....I only used it to get my stuff from the car. The interior hallway A/C wasn't working, and smelled bad.....they did have the doors propped open for air. TV worked well, but no channel guide. Internet had a good signal.....but not the fastest I've seen. Bed was comfy, sheets a little thin, and see through. Somebody had written "OK" on the mattress pad and you could read it through the sheets....the pillows were written on too..."HO JO". Lots of fast food places around. All in all a 2 star hotel....no frills, but okay for a $60 room (after taxes, and Senior discount).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2011

This hotel provided very good lodging at a very reasonable price. It is clean and very handy to I 95 when travelling through.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I'm usually pretty hard to please with hotels and if there is a problem I will find it. This hotel more than exceeded my expectations. First of all, they have completely remodeled everything. The rooms are beautiful, the room looks closer to the marriot room that we stayed at in FL than a side of the road motel. They even had a recliner chair like you would have in your living room!! I have never seen that before. I appreciated the fact that the comforters weren't the typical floral print ugly hotel comforters. They had a microwave, large refrigerator, ironing board and iron, granite counters in the bathroom, a high quality leather computer chair, huge bed which was actually a king size bed- most hotel "king size beds" are the size of a typical queen bed. The woman at the desk was more than nice. If you are on the first floor you will have a huge glass sliding door that covers the wall so you can just bring things directly from your car to your room. The motel does have interior hallways. Upstairs the rooms have vaulted ceilings and outside balconies that you can actually use. The upstairs rooms have a great vibe, like a swiss tavern with the wooden beams.

I am taking a card so I can remember the location of this place.

When you first see it, you have to pay through a bullet proof glass window which makes this place seem seedy even though its not at all. Also, the lobby hasn't been redone so you can't judge the rooms with your first impression at check-in.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple