“Wonderful people serving home style Southern food”

Candy Sue's Downtown
Ranked #10 of 101 Restaurants in Lumberton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Need to add this. The original Candy Sue's is on Pine Street in Lumberton, and just moved to a 2nd, larger, location downtown. Good menu.
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

This wonderful restaurant requires a short two mile drive from I-95 and is well worth the extra time. You select the food cafeteria style with wonderful offerings such as coleslaw or broccoli salad, brisket, fried chicken or Boston butt, sides including okra, black eyed peas, sweet potato pie, turnip greens, butter beans, and corn, and a choice of dinner roll or corn bread. The plate appeared more like a platter and the wonderful women behind the counter do not skimp on portions. Great food at a great value, a short drive from the interstate.

There are newer reviews for Candy Sue's Downtown

Reviewed August 16, 2013

We shared the Potato "Butt Skins" which are baked potato skins scooped out and filled with grilled Boston Butt, cheese chives and sour cream with bbq sauce. Incredibly tasty and left us wondering if we would have room for our meal. My husband had the grilled Boston butt and I had the smoked beef brisket. Both were fabulous. When Candy Sue came by the table to check on our experience, we invited her to come to Florida so we could enjoy her meals on a regular basis. As we were heading out the door, we were offered a tour of the downtown property which serves as "Candy Sue's Downtown." They offer so much more than we were able to experience in our one evening in town.

1  Thank 0neWhoLovesToTravel
Reviewed August 14, 2013

After living in Lumberton for nearly a year we finally decided to try Candy Sue's. We had heard the great reviews and had several recommendations, but never really made the effort to go seek it out. Now we are sorry we didn't try it sooner. We will definitely be back.

Today was a stressful day, we were near downtown so we decided to treat ourselves to something new. First off, the place is a little hard to find, but definitely worth the effort. Upon arriving the hostess asked if we wanted a high top table near the bar or a more quiet table in the dining room. We chose a high top. The servers were there to greet us with a smile and upon learning that we lived in Lumberton for nearly a year, but it was our first time in the restaurant, they went out of their way to make us feel right at home.

In the evening, after 5:00pm there is a regular menu, not the cafeteria-style buffet offered during the day. The menu has some great offerings, but the specials board had some great offerings at a reasonable price, so we went with the specials. I chose the grilled scallops, my husband opted for the Jambalaya. The servers suggested the "Butt Skins" (potato skins topped with their famous grilled pork) as an appetizer and after their enthusiastic recommendations, we decided to try those as well. We were not disappointed. They are basically deep friend potato skins topped with Candy Sue's famous bbq butt and amazing blueberry barbeque sauce, served with homemade Ranch dressing for dipping. They were amazing. I will never again crave traditional bacon/cheese potato skins after tasting these potato skins.

My grilled scallops came with three large scallops and two jumbo grilled shrimp, offered with two sides or a side and salad for about $11 it was worth every penny. The scallops and shrimp were cooked and seasoned perfectly, and paired perfectly with the homemade remoulade sauce. I chose Sweet Vidalia Onion Cobbler as my side dish and a side salad. The Onion Cobbler was amazing, kind of like a loose corn cake with nice chunks of sweet onion. The only complaint was that the salad was a bit "uninspired" just some basic romaine lettuce with a few grated carrots, cucumber slices, a tomato wedge and exactly three small slices from 1/4 of a red onion. The homemade dressing was delicious, but I prefer to have more variety in the lettuce used in my salad. At least it was nice and fresh and crispy.

My husband had the jambalaya, which was also on the special board. He had green beans and a side salad. The beans were nice and fresh, the salad good, but uninspired. The jambalaya was really truly delicious, served over penne pasta rather than the traditional rice, Both of our dinners also came with nice large fluffy homemade biscuits.

It was also "wine Wednesday" which means 1/2 price on a bottle of wine. We left very happy, relaxed, content, and with enough jambalaya for my husband's lunch tomorrow.

Great value, atmosphere, decor, service. We will definitely be back.

Just a side note, my husband and I both have traveled a lot and business and thought this would be a great place if you were traveling and eating alone for dinner. There is a nice comfortable bar and a few small high top tables in the bar area were people eating alone would find a friendly, comfortable place to enjoy a rather gourmet meal.

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

What a great place to unwind after a long day. The food was outstanding, the bourbon chicken was amazing smothered with bacon and cheddar. My wife enjoyed the lobster ravioli that had large chunks of lobster served in a light cream sauce. Our waitress was very friendly and helpful! We will definitely make this a must stop when in Lumberton!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stop in for dinner at this place while spending the night in Lumberton on our way to Myrtle Beach and I must say it was the perfect spot. I never even heard of Lumberton, so I went online to tripadvisor and read about this place. We had a very nice dinner, the atmosphere is cool, and the service GREAT! The building is an old historic place and we were fascinated by it, so much so, that the Manager showed us around the place after dinner. He was such a nice young man and proud of what he is doing.