“Shrimp and grits and fried cheesecake? You've gotta try them!”

Candy Sue's Downtown
Ranked #10 of 99 Restaurants in Lumberton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Need to add this. The original Candy Sue's is on Pine Street in Lumberton, and just moved to a 2nd, larger, location downtown. Good menu.
Woolwich, Maine
“Shrimp and grits and fried cheesecake? You've gotta try them!”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

On the way to Hilton Head we stopped for the night in Lumberton, N.C. (right off Rt. 95) Eager to avoid a chain, we found ourselves in the new location of Candy Sue's in a renovated warehouse downtown. The setting was great, the waitress charming and the food absolutely memorable for us New Englanders. The potato skins, stuffed with barbecue and topped with melted cheese, were actually delicious; the shrimp and grits, according to my husband, were spectacular (he hardly shared any of it...) and the splurge dessert (since we were on vacation) fried cheesecake, was fabulous! Be sure to stop here if you find yourself traveling along 95 in N.C. - we certainly will again!

1 Thank Skippy8534

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“thank you my fellow travellers”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had booked an overnight stay in Lumberton and looked on Tripadvisor for dining suggestions. Tripadvisor reviewers got it right. This place is great. We stopped on a Tuesday night when the cafeteria was an option. Tried the butt, smoked brisket, collards, onion cobbler. All were exceptionally good. Susan and Kevin couldn't have been nicer. We got a tour and a complimentary fried cheesecake dessert. Certinaly will stay dine here any time I'm in the area.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Cathy S
Springfield, Virginia
“The Go-to place on the I-95 corridor”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Just had dinner on our way north. Fabulous. Had the ribs and the butt. Both were fantastic as was the onion cobbler. Topped it off with fried cheesecake. OMG! The manager, hostess, and wait staff made us feel like one of the regulars. We will make this our dinner place every time we are traveling on I-95 in North Carolina.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Mrsckaz
Falmouth, Ma
“Wonderful,experience in Lumberton!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

On our way back from Florida, we went to Candy Sue's after reading about it on Tripadvisor. It more than lived up to our expectations. Sue welcomed us at the door and later gave us a tour of the historic building she has renovated and made into a delightful space. Her son, Kevin, introduced my husband to some local beers that he loved and plans to order when we get home. Sue gave us a sample of their signature Boston butt which is the most tender, delicious meat we have had. The cheese biscuits were to die for as is the crispy slaw and the sweet Vidalia a onion cobbler. It was a really fun evening and we heartily recommend this restaurant when you're in Lumberton- it's reasonable and my husband bought a tee shirt that says Best Butt inTown! - worth a stop in Lumberton!
worth

2 Thank Salmouth
Charleston, South Carolina
“Birthday Dinner for Mom”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I live in Utah and found this restaurant on TripAdvisor and decided to try it for my Mom's birthday. We had a party of 10. The food was fabulous and we had awesome service. We even received a visit from the Owner - Sue. She was a very pleasant person and wanted to make sure we were taken care of...It is definitely a spot that will have my business every time I am in town. We had a wonderful waitress and other's stepped in even though they were not our server to make sure we had everything we needed. The Butt Skins are a must!! Thank you Sue and your staff for making my mom's birthday dinner the best. We LOVED the fried cheesecake!!

1 Thank 4Punkin4

Been to Candy Sue's Downtown? Share your experiences!