“A must visit venue”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is more than just a great place, it is sort of like visiting with new friends in their restaurant.

First make sure you get to the right location, at 111 West 3rd. Our GPS lists their old address, they moved last June.

We were welcomed by the owner. Then the young but very competent waiter explaine the specials and menu. He was terrific, explaining all the specials, how they were prepared and various alternative side dishes.

Make sure you try the valdalia onion cobbler regardless of what else you order. I had the butt, which is not something you find on menus in Chicago or New York. It was superb, the barbecue sauce was perfection. My wife had the mahi mahi, which she reported was also excellent. We had a terrific dinner. They have a full bar, reasonably priced.

The owner's son, Kevin, came by to talk and wanted to both get to know us better and tell us about himself and the history of the great old building. The owner also came by to talk. They were genuinely. Interested in being friendly and warm, well beyond southern hospitality.

After dinner Kevin took us for a tour of the banquet rooms and the kitchen. We were also introduced to the kitchen staff.

At lunch they have cafeteria type service and I understand a big crowd from the courthouse.

Don't pass Lumberton, North Carolina without stopping here for lunch or dinner, even if you are just "passing through." You won't be disappointed.

3  Thank Glenn E

Reviewed December 30, 2012

After stopping for gas and only finding large chain options for dinner right off the highway, turned on restaurant locator on the nav and headed towards Lumberton and found Candy Sue's. Staff and management greeted us enthusiastically and was more than happy to explain the menu, house specialties and even give us a tour of the old downtown building and it's history. Prices are very reasonable, our kids of 8 and 10 were welcomed and enjoyed the stop as well. Meatloaf, Boston Butt and fried cheesecake were all great, good beer selection, early-bird dinner hours. We will definitely be on the lookout for this stop as we pass through NC in the future.

3  Thank Angelo N
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This restaurant is amazing!!! The food, the atmosphere and the service is something you do not want to miss. Roasted oysters on Thursday, Friday or Saturday night is a big hit. Karaoke and live entertainment is all about good food, good fellowship, just alot of fun. On facebook, visit candy sue's and you will see what I'm talking about.

3  Thank Sue G
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Susan and Kevin have definitely brought their A game to the new Candy-Sue's in the beautifully restored old building in downtown Lumberton (previously Blackwater .
Candy-Sue's has progressed to be the best restaurant Lumberton has seen since John's, which was the best for decades!
Great Food! Great Atmosphere! Great Service!
Reward yourself to a fun, delicious, dining experience at a very reasonable price .....That's right.....Right here in Lumberton!!!

3  Thank jfranklin61
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The food here is delicious with many options of traditional and some non-traditional dishes like tomato grit casserole. I was curious with that one but now that I have tried it, I am hooked. The fried chicken is some of the best I have ever had...including my own. And if you have room, don't miss the opportunity to try their fried cheesecake. It was covered in a blueberry sauce and rivals any dessert I have tried before.

2  Thank Vie C