“Another Kind Of Hero” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Lumberton
Orange City, Florida
“Another Kind Of Hero”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Mid-August of 2011, I was traveling with my husband from our "summer" home in New York to our home in Florida, hauling a small U-Haul, when our truck broke down on I-95 just as we were reaching the 24 mile marker. We were able to pull off into a deserted truck weighing station. It was 97 degrees, my portable oxygen tank had about fortyfive minutes left and the ice in the chest keeping my diabetic dog's insulin cool was just about spent. We notified AAA and informed them of our peril and they said about and hour and a half, then gave us the number for the tow truck. By the grace of God, we reached him right away and found he was already on I-95 and had just passed the weigh station and saw us. He need only to double back. Within forty-five minutes, we were opening the door to room 111 at the Super 8 in Lumberton, NC. the clerk, Anthony McCrimmon became a hero for a few minutes when he volunteered to help us unpack what we were going to need,: my oxygen machine, ice chests, plastic crates of essentials, etc. The next morning we found we were going to be there a week waiting for extensive repairs, we also learned that a hurricane was coming! During that week, the day clerk, Geraldine Justice, lived up to her last name, Despite loosing electricityand cable from a severe thunderstorm, she managed to show us how to use their waffle iron, give directions and calm up about the approaching hurricane with the friendliness of a distant relative. By mid-week the motel was full to capacity from the evacuee from the coast line and still the staff was wonderful. Never a cross word! Even housekeeping called me every morning to see if we needed anything. When our truck was fixed and we were able to leave, I felt I was leaving friends. I only had a couple of collection in which my poetry had been published in to leave with them but I felt I left with so much more; the kknowledge that when things are at their worst, there are places like this Super 8 that you can depend on and find a smiling face, a warm bed and a friend. Nancy Watson Dodrill

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Nancy D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

Apparently our reservation was accepted and charged but no room was reserved in the system. As a result, we arrived with the front desk being unable to find our reservation. Twenty minutes later the manager arrives and informs us that the books were being closed when we reserved so that was the cause. Long story short, we received the last non-smoking room but not in the bed arrangement booked.
Besides the checkin glitch, the location is great - right off the highway. The lot is well lit and plenty of parking. The room was as expected: clean, neat, and A/C working well. The mattresses areva bit springy, but firm.

• Stayed July 2011
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

The hotel was fine for a stopover, the room was spacious and soundproof so we got a good night's sleep. We paid around $60 for the night which was very good value compared to the hotels on the other side of the highway. We didn't think that the lobby and breakfast room looked all that clean though.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank SuzieLee71
South Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

My daughters and I were on our trip from NJ to Florida and unfortunately pulled into this motel at 4:50 a.m. - totally exhausted. The room was dimly lit, but we were only sleeping for a few hours and moving on. This couldn't be that bad, could it? First thing we found were 2 bugs in the bathroom - one dead and the other on its back with its legs kicking. Gross. Well, it is a warmer climate and it is the first floor but this is disgusting. Gave us the creeps. Were there bugs in the beds too? We checked and fortunately did not see any IN the pitiful beds. Who knows what crawled on us during the next couple of hours. At 8:25 a.m., Housekeeping decided to knock on our door. We had just checked in and got in the room after 5 a.m. and they were knocking on the door at 8:25 a.m. Our room had no "Do Not Disturb" sign to put on the door, but come on, check-out time is 11 a.m. why did they decide to knock so early? I never really slept - kept thinking of bugs crawling on us. I finally got up around 10 and went outside to call family members while my daughters got some more sleep. Don't I see the Housekeeper AGAIN knocking on the door? What is wrong with these peopel? I told her that we weren't checking out til 11 and why did she knock again? She said she thought we were gone. Right. I then heard her tell the other Housekeeper that it wasn't her problem. I got my girls up and said let's get out of here. Upon trying to leave the room, a bug - a term I use lightly - a 2-1/2 to 3 inch - roach or some kind of palmetto bug - was on the door right next to the door handle. That was it. I called the Front Desk and told the woman to send someone to come to our room to open the door from the outside as I wasn't putting my hand anywhere on that door! She matter-of-factly said she'd send someone from Maintenance to our room. Probably a common occurrence. Maintenance guy came to the room and joked that it was only a "cricket" who had wanted to come in. Completely grossed my girls and I out. Once I got out and went to the office to check out, I demanded a refund and was told that no refunds are given, but she'd give me a 10% discount. I want the Super 8 to know that a refund will have been much cheaper as I intend to tell this story to everyone and anyone who will listen. I hope this place gets closed down. The Health Dept. must not have to inspect it or it would already be closed. It was crudy, dirty, and absolutely disgusting. By all means, NEVER EVER STAY HERE AND WASTE YOUR MONEY. NEVER. EVER. And by the way, I took pictures of the bug on the door - no one can believe the size of the bug and everyone agrees that it was no cricket! - and there's a picture of the bugs on the dirty bathroom floor. PLEASE, PLEASE - SAVE YOUR MONEY AND NEVER STAY HERE!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank debicita

Travelers are raving about these Lumberton hotels

New Port Richey, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

The room was clean and neat. All you needed for an overnight stay. Not fancy but nice.We used a handicap room and it met all our needs.The lobby was clean and they served a nice breakfast. Would stay there again

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
va.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2008

I've stayed here before in the past and this time it was noisy,firlthyand had raches.Had to call front desk twice to complain about noise.First time about 1 am second time about 3am.The room wasn't clean.

i'll probally avoid staying there any more.

• Disliked — roaches
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
columbus
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2008

I stayed one night at Super 8 Lumberton on Feb 12.
I booked the hotel from Hotwire.
However, they charged me two time, from Hotwire and Super 8 respectively.
I found the problem few days after I left the hotel.
I made phone calls to them, but always hold for somebody who can solve the problem.
The third call, I finally talked to someone who manage the payment problem and she said they are going to refund me the addiational charge.
After one month, the refund still didn't come into account.

I made several calls to them.
They care little about the problem and let me call their manager again an again.
It really sucks.
I syated at least 14 days per month,and never have this problem.

The hotel is just terrible.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)