“Cheap, Noisy, No-frills - with a few good points.”

Comfort Inn Lumberton
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Lumberton
Reviewed January 30, 2011

God only knows how this hotel has gotten such good reviews. My best guess is the type of person it attracts. A Days Inn type person may give this high marks, whereas a Courtyard type would call it a dump. Lesson, always consider the sourse. I often spend half of my days in hotels, so I have a good basis of comparison. 1st, Lumberton is sorely lacking for quality lodging, so if you can, drive on. If you must stay in Lumberton, like I did, perhaps the best is the Fairfield by Marriott - and it isn't the best Fairfield. I chose Comfort this time because of the reviews. I quickly checked out & moved for the 2nd night. OK, on the positive side, the beds were pretty good, for a Comfort Inn. The bath was very good, modern & spacious. It had a smaller-sized flat screen TV. Breakfast was better than the average 'continental'. They had the bare basics, plus you-make-waffles, sausage gravy/biscuits, & something that looked like an egg patty. Coffee was weak & not good. The list of negatives would be long, so I'll stick to basics. The rooms were stark and sparcely furnished with cheap furniture (like you would buy from Walmart). The carpet was dirty brown. No triple sheeting & well worn bed-spreads. It had a micro-fridge just sitting against a wall. The coffee maker is not a real 4-cup model, but takes a small tea-bag sized filter-pack - good for about 1/2 cup of good strong coffee. Walls were just paint & window treatment cheap. The heat- A/C unit is so loud when the compressor cycles on that it can interfer with sleep. The ceilings are low & somewhat clostrophobic. Overall, a cheap & dingy room. The closet has hangers that can't be removed - try hanging pants on those. The worst part by far is that someone built this hotel on top of an I-95 on-ramp. It's on a major truck route (211 & I-95) so every couple minutes all night long loud trucks are entering I-95 & grinding through the gears to build up speed - the vibration actually shook my headboard. I couldn't sleep at all due to the noise from the trucks & heat compressor. I have a linen closet that is larger than the 'business center'. It's literally 2 feet wide with a chair & computer. I must applaud the person who put up the sign reading 'Business Center' - he at least has a good sense of humor. So, if just looking for a decent bed/bath for the night, and Motel 6 means luxury to you, this may be your place - just remember ear-plugs. I rarely comment on staff because turn-over is very high in hotels & chances are slim you'll see the same folks as me - and in this case that would be desirable (a young, inexperienced, unprofessional, group of uncaring minimum wage earners who could use a course in English grammer, for the most part). Minutes after departing & just after turning onto I-95, I realized I left my sunglasses. I couldn't turn around & be on time for a meeting. So, I called on my cell & told the assit. mgr. right where I left them. She assured me she would get houskeeping to get them for me. I trusted her with this minor task of responsibility. After 2 trips back (while in town) & a few phone calls I found that she never followed through & they admitted the maid through them out (apparently because a lens was cracked). Even if she wasn't competent enough to follow through, SOP at hotels is to save EVERYTHING. This was a $500 pr. of prescription glasses, and the small crack in the lens was under replacement warrenty. I made that clear to Mary, but she failed to care enough to send a housekeeper to my room to get them, or follow through. BTW, the hotel is so close to I-95 that the single row of parking spaces in the front butt right up against the I-95 fencing. I would say the hotel is 20-30 yrs. old - certainly yesterday's standards. OK, I warned you.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank cruisedoc1

Reviewed January 6, 2011

Excellent staff and the rooms were wonderful and on top of that the breakfast was free, what else can you ask for. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2010

Stayed here on my way to Florida from NY. I chose this hotel because it was the highest rated in the area. I reserved a king size bed in a non-smoking room and checked in without a problem at 11:30 p.m. When I got to the room, I checked the bedding thoroughly as I am very paranoid about bed bugs. The pillows/bedding were immaculate, and I was very pleased. The room had everything I needed and was very quiet. There was breakfast available until about 10:30 a.m., and the woman in charge was very pleasant. Check out time was in the afternoon so I did not have to rush to vacate the room. My only (minor) complaint was that the bathroom floor was a little sticky. Other than that, everything was fine. I will definitely stay here again the next time I make this trip.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Clean, spacious, polite people. Great free Breaksfast.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 1, 2010

After driving about 15 hours we stopped tired not expecting much but when we walked in the doo rwe were greeted with a smile and warm welcome! Rate was better than expected. We had 2 rooms both were cleanned to perfection! Bed's were wonderful! Free breakfast was a nice touch! All the staff made us feel like family! We will have 2 more trips to that area and will stay there!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed October 9, 2010

this comfort inn is top notch just as the other reviewers said. We stopped there last Saturday night on the way to Savannah.

I dont know how new it was but the inside was spotless and welcoming.

My only criticism is that it was a little hard to find and confusing since a Comfort Suites was at the exit previous. My gps led us to that Comfort Suites instead of Comfort Inn. Otherwise great for the money, great breakfast and great nights sleep.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Stayed in this hotel after driving about 20 hours through the night. Everything was nice, woke up late, just as breakfast was ending. The host was soo nice to let us make breakfast for my girls and ourselves. We had been to other hotels who would not let us get anything if it was past time.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family