“Never Ever Stay at This Hotel!”

and 1 more site!
Atkinson Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Lumberton
Reviewed February 26, 2011

My Fiancé and I were relocating from Florida to Washington DC. We decided to stop half way at The Atkinson's In and Suite. Gathering info on the internet, it seemed to have very good ratings to accommodate us and our dog. Arriving at 7:30 PM, checked in with the owner of the hotel and paid only a $10 pet fee. We just dropped our things in the hotel room, put Luna in a cage, and left to watch the remainder of the super bowl at a local restaurant. Woke up at 6 am, packed what little things we had unpacked and left. 3 hours on the road I realized my Kindle was missing. I called the hotel right away asking the owner to please go back to the room and see if its there. He refused and said he would wait until housekeeping cleaned and for me to call back after 11 AM. I called back 15 minutes later letting him know I have arranged for FedEx to pick up the Kindle including the package and label. He BARKED at me saying he didn't have the item yet and I was PUSHING him-I know exactly where I left it and he didn't seem to believe me. I called back at 3 pm hoping that was enough time. He said "we have a problem". He found my items, but there is a black mark left on the sheet and it might have to be replaced. What?! I explained, I do not understand where the mark could have come from, but I was wiling to pay for it. " Okay, take a picture and send me a bill." He refused again. FedEx was rejected the day after. It was very difficult to communicate with this man so I contacted Magnuson Hotels for help. I spoke to a higher up whom was very nice and attempted to communicate with Jim/Owner via email. FedEx was rejected again. Mag Hotels could not do anything else within their power b/c they do not own the hotel and only do the marketing. They advised I call Jim myself and ask him why he is not returning my items. I called, Jim hung up on my 2 times and finally on the 3rd attempt asked him how could he treat me as such and not give FedEx my belongings. I asked- will you give my belongings to FedEx? It ended with him sneering "we will see". I was SO disgusted, I contacted the Lumberton Police Dept. and spoke with "Officer". He could not help me, but wanted to. He actually said- "I have heard many problems similar to this one with that hotel and Jim Shaw". The only way to get my belongings back from this man I to file a civil suit with Robeson County clerk of Court- $85. My Kindle is worth $175 with the leather cover and was a gift, hardly worth the amount of money, time, and effort. What I cannot believe is how an owner of a hotel treat customers this way-borderline abusive! This has gone WAY too far. Magnuson hotels ended up dropping this crazy man and apologizing for what I went through. My suggestion- find a comfortable bed elsewhere in Lumberton.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank tanya1102

Reviewed February 16, 2011

I thought I was going to leave at 7am. I didn't want to get out of bed. Ended up leaving around 10. Manager is very friendly, and VERY prideful. He is very proud of what they have going here, as he should. If I pass through here again I will most definitely stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank BizTraveler06
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Reserved a room well in advance but check in still took 10 minutes. Room cleanliness OK but furniture spartan. Coffee maker promised but none in the room. "Free continental breakfast" promised. Mr. Shah (manager) told me during registration that the coffee area would open at 7 AM. I went at 7:35 AM and the room was locked. Mr. Shah came to the door in shorts and slippers and waved me off saying "no coffee ready". I went back in 10 minutes. Coffee was ready. I also poured a cup of orange juice and it was HOT. Not cool, not lukewarm, HOT. That was disgusting. There was no food at all, nothing, not even a crust of bread. The Inn promises "Satisfaction Guaranteed". I registered these comments with the Inn and have heard nothing. We will pass through Lumberton 4 more times in 2011. I emphasize "pass through" because we will not stop going either southbound or northbound.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank stanemt
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I have stayed here on several occasions for business and have always been pleased with the offerings. The rooms are clean, contemporary, and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Overall it is a much better value than most of the chain places in the area. Negatives would be some road noise due to proximity to interstate and limited breafast offerings but overall the inn provides a very comfy stay.

Reviewed January 19, 2011

This was an unplanned stop. My truck broke down and while it was in the repair shop, this is the nicesest inn in the area. The staff went ubove and beyond the call of duty to make my unfortunate situation more tolorable. They where very attentive to my needs and wanted to make sure that I was taken care of.

As I am writing this review, I have just been informed that my truck will take another day to be ready. I am happily walking back down the inn for another nights stay.

1  Thank ScottZechman
Reviewed January 15, 2011

Funny story, my wife and I were traveling from Michigan to Florida and Stopped in Lumberton, NC. Upon leaving the next morning my wife and I each the other had gotten the cat. Only five hours later had we realized that we haven't seen the cat since it usually sleeps in the back of the Jeep. Well it was the next day before we were able to go back and look for "Fluffy" the cat. We were able to contact the manager and notify him of our mistake, fornutaly for us and Fluffy, the manager and his wife are great people who took care of our cat while we turned around and headed back to NC to pick her up! I have to say that anyone who will go out of their way for perfect strangers the way the manager of the Atkinson Inn & Suites in Lumberton, NC did are great people and they take care of their rooms the same way they take care of their customers, with the highest level of pride & professionalism that anyone looking for a good quality nights sleep could ask for.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Charleythedog
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Management/Owners were rude!!!! I work PM shift and he came banging on the door in the early am asking if I was leaving so he could clean. Also my company had prepaid for the room but I was then locked out of my room in the snow when I had not paid $10 for my dog the 3rd day - it had to be in cash and would not take a check card.
In addition, the continential breakfast is defined as juice and coffee. The customer is not king or anything else with this hotel.

2  Thank Healthcare241