“small and ok for a night”

Southern Inn Lumberton
Southern Inn Lumberton
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Lumberton
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stopped here on our way to Myrtle Beach. It is a small family run motel. There are about 25 rooms. Our room was large with a fridge and micro, but no coffee maker and no coffee in the lobby. AC good and reasonably quite. Mattress good. WiFi is good. Location is away from the highway and very quiet. For the price it is a good value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank OhioDave_47
There are newer reviews for Southern Inn Lumberton

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The office clerk was quite nice and helpful. The rooms on first appearance looked clean. Well, until we found hair on our pillows, a milk cap and our dog found a random piece of abc gum. We did ask for new pillow cases. They didn't apologize when I told them why. Which is okay. All is as it should be. All happens for a reason. We are only here because we had a flat tire on our move from Burlington VT to The Florida Keys. :-)

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Jay2883
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Considering the price this is not a bad deal. We had a room on Memorial Day weekend for $49 so we certainly did not expect the Hilton. The Southern shows its age though the management is trying to update the interior spaces. Painting of the rooms was ongoing during our stay. The desk clerk was friendly and the maintenance man responded quickly when we suffered a clogged toilet. The room was clean and nothing scurried for the wall when the lights were turned on. Note: There is no breakfast provided but there is a Waffle House right next door. Our only negative note involved the apparently drunken "men" who were yelling and cursing outside our room at 4 a.m.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ammochief
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Don't let the outside of this motel fool you. It is much better than it looks. The room was large, clean, and there was a flat screen tv with a lot of channels. Bathroom was updated and very clean. Soap and shampoo dispenser was a nice touch. Pet friendly, and there was plenty of space to walk the dog. Waffle House next door. I'll stay again when I am in the area,

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Augusta_MEJRTlover
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Inexpensive but clean and convenient. It's right off 95 and it's good quality for the bucks. No coffee in the room but it has a fridge and microwave and there's a Waffle House right down the road. I had misplaced my toiletries and they were able to supply me with a toothbrush, toothpaste and razor.

Room Tip: There's not a lot to choose from. It's right off 95 and all rooms seem identical.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank martyjake
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Not the Ritz Carlton, but clean and well kept, no bugs, tubs and toilets and beds were clean. The air conditioning worked well, carpets were clean. No odors. Bed slept well.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank PerihanW
Reviewed June 20, 2012

If you saw this motel's somewhat older looking brick building, tiny reception area, somewhat cluttered inner office, and supplies and stuff piled-up, all for the first time, you might be tempted to move on and not take a chance on staying there. You would be making a mistake.

I stayed there twice around mid-June 2012 ($49.50 plus tax, one person). My room was perfect: clean, orderly, of sufficient size, fridge, microwave, nice HD TV, table and chairs, and an older couch. The bathroom was spotless, and I liked the body wash/shampoo dispensers attached to the shower wall. There was no carpet odor or heavy dust lingering in the room, which I have experienced far too often in many other motels, regardless of the price.

Overall, it seems the owners and managers seem to make certain that you will be comfortable and happy with your room, even though other areas in the motel may not be 100% perfect. But who cares? I'm paying for the room, not the reception area.

I stayed there again one week later on my return trip. As an appreciation of my business, they took $5.00 off the usual charge. Although that may not seem like much, it is a 10% reduction, which I appreciated--especially since not one other motel chain where I have stayed many times ever showed similar appreciation for my business.

If you're looking for a clean and comfortable stay to at a nice rate, and can live without the fancy extras, you should give Southern Inn in Lumberton NC a try.

Please note: no continental breakfast (but many restaurants nearby), and no public computer station.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo