“Do not stay here - we were robbed while we slept”
Review of Comfort Suites

Comfort Suites
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Lumberton
DISGUSTEDWITHCS
“Do not stay here - we were robbed while we slept”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

This hotel was located at the half-way point on our trip. We stopped about 1:30 in the morning and were tired. There were 3 adults and two small children. During the night someone came into our room and stole all of the cash out of our purses! You can verify with the sheriff's office!

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank DISGUSTEDWITHCS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed October 17, 2009

We didn't have any problems with roaches or bed bugs. The room and linens were clean, no damp sheets. The beds weren't as comfortable as most CS and the pillows were lumpy. I'm used to really good pillows at CS!! The price for a room was a bit steep for the Lumberton area and the fact that this CS isn't up to par with other CS. The breakfast was ok, but again, not as good as other CS I've stayed in. There was a tip jar out on the buffet breakfast table. Something I haven't seen at other CS. I can understand asking for tips if you're a waitress waiting on tables, not the case here. In this case, you're hired and paid to do a job and the cost is covered in the room rate. We typically stay at CS when traveling but I think that I would pass this one up the next time.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Dutchess County, NY
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Traffic delays in the DC/VA area left me far short of my destination late one night so, exhausted with rain hitting the windshield at 1am, I began searching the Lumberton NC area for a room. There are many hotels in Lumberton. I called them all and found them all to be booked. Seems a lot of travelers were in the same situation. Finally, one of the hotel clerks told me that all the hotels were booked in Lumberton except for the Comfort Suites. She said that if I really needed a room that I should call them right away. I did. I should have either kept driving or just slept in the car.

--> Room was musty & moldy despite the wall unit A/C running non-stop.
--> Carpet was so dirty that my white socks turned black (really black) after just walking on it for two minutes.
--> Bed sheets were damp and just gross feeling. I decided to sleep in my clothes.
--> Breakfast was inedible (for me at least) although the 300lb front desk lady had no problem scoffing down the french toast instead of working.

I did manage to sleep. I was exhausted. In the end it was probably the right thing for me to do, but I would not recommend this place to anyone, ever. It was well lit and I did feel safe there, just not welcoming or clean.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
6 Thank BigJimFLNY
New York City
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Recently stayed at this hotel. The staff were fine and the service was ok. The big negative was that I woke up from my overnight stay with BED BUG BITES! Along with the bites there was a roach found crawling in our room...I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Summer19_9
NC
Reviewed June 1, 2008

I was very concerned after reading reviews of the hotels in this area. Not to worry - this hotel was neat, clean and comfortable. Breakfast was good for a buffet. Staff appeared a bit preoccupied with friends and other staff but since we only needed to check in and check out it wasn't a problem. only stayed one night but would not hesitate to return there.

• Liked — It was clean!
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed April 29, 2008

I stayed here on a business trip. I'd say that this hotel is about average overall, but may be better now they've supposedly freshened it up.

The best parts were the customer service and manager's reception. We comfortably sat by the nicely groomed pool area and drank complimentary bottled beers while awaiting the rest of our group to eat dinner. The next morning's breakfast was very generous - to the extent that it really should have been called a full buffet rather than a continental.

My only complaint was that the room was not a non-smoking as requested. When I asked for another room, the front desk assured me they were booked for the night but sent someone up with some industrial deoderizer. It helped a little, but my suits all needed to be cleaned to get the stale cig smell out afterwards. To be fair, I don't know if the booking error was theirs or the travel agency's.

There was a good selection of restaraunts nearby. The location itself is right off I-95, so expect to hear non-stop traffic even above the basic room soundproofing.

If you are looking for a low-frills place to stay for a night or two, this is the place.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — smoking room
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
swansea ill.
Reviewed December 2, 2007

My family and I drove to Lumberton N.C from Illinois. We stayed at the Comfort Suites. The staff was very nice and helpful. We came in town for a funeral. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was great. The hostess was very friendly and helpful. The front desk staff was helpful. My only complaints were I put a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door so we could sleep in, at 9 A.M there was a knock on my door it was the house keeper. Asking if I needed service. My last complaint there were no snack machines, only soda machines. Overall my stay was great.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)