“I will stay here again when in the area.”

Holiday Inn Lumberton
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Lumberton
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Unlike a couple of the other reviewers, I did have a very clean and freshly renovated room with new carpet. The room had free wireless internet, very nice fridge with freezer, micorwave, and coffee maker. As I was checking out of my room, there were workers putting up new wallpaper, in other rooms. Seems like they are in the process of remodeling. The Denny's is connected to the hotel and is open 24 hours. Dennys does smell of smoke but it is fairly easy to tolerate for one of the tasty SLAM breakfasts.

Based on my experience, and the hotel's very convenient location, I will stay there again while on business. My good friends suggested that I stay tnere on this trip <they live about a mile away> and they had no concerns about criminal activity. On my two nights there, I arrived back at the hotel around 11pm and there was a lot of normal activity going on which one would expect at a large chain hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank amalphi

Reviewed July 15, 2007

We stayed here for a night while driving back from a Florida vacation. Our plan had been to start driving North and to stop for the night when we got too tired to drive any further. We had started looking for a place to stay in Florence South Carolina, but every place we stopped at was booked. We picked up a booklet of hotel coupons and started calling every hotel listed that was North of us off 95- this hotel was 1st one that had an available room. We got to the hotel at 11:15 pm. There was no one at the front desk. We waited 10 minutes and then I went into the attached Denny's to see if they knew where the hotel staff was. They didn't. 15 minutes later the front desk clerk came back. She checked us in, but refused to honor the price written in the hotel coupon book (and which the staff had agreed to honor over the phone when we made the reservation) b/c she said that she could sell out so she wasn't honoring any discounts that night. The room was very worn, carpeting dingy and worn. The lighting poor. But we weren't in the mood to be picky b/c we were exhausted. We were hungry and went back out to the Denny's off the lobby, it was very smokey so I ordered our food "to-go". My kids went to the restroom off the hotel lobby and came back saying "mom there's a hooker in there with a man! She has tall lucite heels that light up when she walks", and they described what they saw her doing...which I won't print here. By that time the woman had gone outside and started walking around the front of the Denny's, the man had followed after her. Outside a police car showed up & started circling, which made me feel better. I took the kids back to our room and locked them in while I went to pick up our food....While I waited for the food I saw 3 young men with cell phones to their ears who were walking from a hall of the hotel out to the front entrance of the Dennys, approaching a car, going back into the hotel, coming out again to another car with cell phones to their ears...over and over...I don't know what they were doing, but drug dealing did come to mind. If I hadn't been too tired to safely drive, I'd have been out of there in a heart beat. I told the front desk staff in the morning, and she said she was surprised to hear this b/c she said thay had been working on this problem and thought that it was getting better over the past 2 months. She agreed to change my bill to honor the published rate. Probably, if I had arrived at a decent hour and gone to bed by 9:30-10pm I wouldn't have known anything about what went on there at night, and would have left the next morning with all the other guests oblivious to these goings on. But from what I saw, I don't think this is a safe or clean place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank imbusy
Reviewed March 19, 2007

Carpeting in bedroom was worn and dirty. I did not feel comfortable walking without my shoes on! The bedspread was nasty and I had to take it off the bed and felt the need to inspect the sheets and mattress. I would not have sat in the chair - it is filthy dirty! I concluded my business a day early and ask to check out early and the manger informed me that they had no housekeeping on duty after noon and I would be charged for the night even though I did not use the room!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank dawng
Reviewed December 6, 2006

We were very happy with our stay here. The ladies at the desk were very enjoyable. The only thing we had a problem with was that we were on the 2nd floor and they did not have an elevator! We aren't handicapped, but it's a pain to have to carry all your stuff up the stairs. Otherwise, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2006

This is a two star Mobil Guide facility located, I believe, about half way from NYC to South Florida and about one third of the way from DC to South Florida. It deserves it's Mobil rating. Room was clean, and it had a mini refrigerator and a microwave; it has a Denny's on site (not gourmet certainly, but most adequate for an overnight stay). If you stop at the NC welcome center on I-95 their flyer offers a $10 discount off AAA/AARP rates. Present the flyer at check-in. A satisfactory stop in the middle of nowhere on a long motor trip. With that caveat, highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank Lou Sernoff
Reviewed August 7, 2006

Every year we drive home from Florida and stop here overnight. It is in a nice location. But every year it seems to drop a notch. We had mold on the ceilings, the air was not on when we arrived, and the people at the desk were not as courteous as other years. The bathroom was musty smelling. We were disappointed this time. We know that these hotels get used hard on 95, but I think it is time for a spruce up. We would like to stay there next year on our way home, but we will be watching this site to see if they shaped up at all.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank tooz60
A TripAdvisor Member
Boca Raton, FL
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Based on a review here, I went ahead and reserved a room through the HoJo's central reservation, 1 person 1 night, $59 + tax. When I arrived at the hotel, I asked what a room would cost, was told $41 + tax. Given that I guaranteed the room with a credit card, ended up paying $65 for a room that should've cost me $45; HoJo's corporate guest services said there's nothing they can do about it. So, given that I paid like $20 more than I should have for the room, I guess I was somewhat less willing to put up with flaws in the hotel experience than I might otherwise have been. So that when I got to the room and pulled back the bedspread on one bed, I noticed a blood stain on the top fold of the topsheet. I tried the other bed, pulled back the pillows, nasty black stain on that fitted sheet. I called down and the lady said she'd give me another room. This other room's bed's sheets were clean, but the room door was not self-closing, which I think is a violation of federal law. The alarm clock didn't work. There were beer-bottlecaps on the porch. And overall, if you have yet to accept Jesus H. C. as your lord & savior, you may not be comfortable staying at this motel, given that the HoJo's signs outside the place read "In god we trust," and the check-in window bore a plastic cross with the word "Jesus" dangling from it. So, if you're planning on stopping in Lumberton on your drive up/down I-95, I'd recommend phoning this motel directly and making your reservation through them, or just show up without a reservation as there are dozens of motels in this area -- including at exits north and south, so if the thousands of rooms available here are filled, head up or down an exit and you'll score a place, cheap, no problem.

• Stayed: June 2006