“It was fine”

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Lumberton
Amherst, New York
“It was fine”
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We stayed at this hotel on our way from Florida back to Western NY. We nearly cancelled after reading the reviews of the dangerous area. I'm very glad we didn't cancel. Our room was very nice, large, perfectly clean and quiet. It obviously had been recently redone. The area was fine, we had no problems with any unsavory characters; we were specifically looking out because of the reviews, too. The location couldn't be more convenient for an overnight travel stop - there are restaurants, gas stations, a grocery store, other hotels, all within view. I would have no qualms about staying here again.

• Liked — Convenient, clean and quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ejboldt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
SE North Carolina
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I travel extensively for my job and stay in many hotels. Frequently I stay in the Holiday Inn/ Holiday Inn Express family because they are usually very consistent. On the night of my arrival I went to check in and was told that I did have a room but there was no direct billing (which is how all of my rooms are paid). The woman behiind the desk became very loud with discussion to another employee regarding the short comings of the other employees that wowrk behind the desk and how incompetent they were in handling situations like this.

She continued to be very rude to me telling me that I would have to pay for the room because there was no record of the direct billing. I assured her that I had stayed in this facility several times before and there was a credit card number on file for direct billing.

She became even more rude when I asked for a downstairs room near the fitness center.

While she completely ignored me during her ranting and raving to the other employee I finally asked her if I could go to my room to which she snapped back yes.

If it was not so late when I arrived I would not have stayed at this facility but would have found another friendlier hotel.

• Disliked — front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank l0ngdistancetraveler

Travelers are raving about these Lumberton hotels

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Unlike a couple of the other reviewers, I did have a very clean and freshly renovated room with new carpet. The room had free wireless internet, very nice fridge with freezer, micorwave, and coffee maker. As I was checking out of my room, there were workers putting up new wallpaper, in other rooms. Seems like they are in the process of remodeling. The Denny's is connected to the hotel and is open 24 hours. Dennys does smell of smoke but it is fairly easy to tolerate for one of the tasty SLAM breakfasts.

Based on my experience, and the hotel's very convenient location, I will stay there again while on business. My good friends suggested that I stay tnere on this trip <they live about a mile away> and they had no concerns about criminal activity. On my two nights there, I arrived back at the hotel around 11pm and there was a lot of normal activity going on which one would expect at a large chain hotel.

• Liked — had everything needed, and room was very nice
  • Disliked — the smokey smell in Dennys
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank amalphi
Virginia
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We stayed here for a night while driving back from a Florida vacation. Our plan had been to start driving North and to stop for the night when we got too tired to drive any further. We had started looking for a place to stay in Florence South Carolina, but every place we stopped at was booked. We picked up a booklet of hotel coupons and started calling every hotel listed that was North of us off 95- this hotel was 1st one that had an available room. We got to the hotel at 11:15 pm. There was no one at the front desk. We waited 10 minutes and then I went into the attached Denny's to see if they knew where the hotel staff was. They didn't. 15 minutes later the front desk clerk came back. She checked us in, but refused to honor the price written in the hotel coupon book (and which the staff had agreed to honor over the phone when we made the reservation) b/c she said that she could sell out so she wasn't honoring any discounts that night. The room was very worn, carpeting dingy and worn. The lighting poor. But we weren't in the mood to be picky b/c we were exhausted. We were hungry and went back out to the Denny's off the lobby, it was very smokey so I ordered our food "to-go". My kids went to the restroom off the hotel lobby and came back saying "mom there's a hooker in there with a man! She has tall lucite heels that light up when she walks", and they described what they saw her doing...which I won't print here. By that time the woman had gone outside and started walking around the front of the Denny's, the man had followed after her. Outside a police car showed up & started circling, which made me feel better. I took the kids back to our room and locked them in while I went to pick up our food....While I waited for the food I saw 3 young men with cell phones to their ears who were walking from a hall of the hotel out to the front entrance of the Dennys, approaching a car, going back into the hotel, coming out again to another car with cell phones to their ears...over and over...I don't know what they were doing, but drug dealing did come to mind. If I hadn't been too tired to safely drive, I'd have been out of there in a heart beat. I told the front desk staff in the morning, and she said she was surprised to hear this b/c she said thay had been working on this problem and thought that it was getting better over the past 2 months. She agreed to change my bill to honor the published rate. Probably, if I had arrived at a decent hour and gone to bed by 9:30-10pm I wouldn't have known anything about what went on there at night, and would have left the next morning with all the other guests oblivious to these goings on. But from what I saw, I don't think this is a safe or clean place to stay.

• Liked — It is convenient to route 95.
  • Disliked — It seemed like a place for criminal activities.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank imbusy
nc
Reviewed March 19, 2007

Carpeting in bedroom was worn and dirty. I did not feel comfortable walking without my shoes on! The bedspread was nasty and I had to take it off the bed and felt the need to inspect the sheets and mattress. I would not have sat in the chair - it is filthy dirty! I concluded my business a day early and ask to check out early and the manger informed me that they had no housekeeping on duty after noon and I would be charged for the night even though I did not use the room!

• Liked — nothing!
  • Disliked — very dirty
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank dawng
NC
Reviewed December 6, 2006

We were very happy with our stay here. The ladies at the desk were very enjoyable. The only thing we had a problem with was that we were on the 2nd floor and they did not have an elevator! We aren't handicapped, but it's a pain to have to carry all your stuff up the stairs. Otherwise, it was a nice stay.

• Liked — Room above average for the price
  • Disliked — No elevator
  • Tips/Secrets — Request a first floor room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2006

This is a two star Mobil Guide facility located, I believe, about half way from NYC to South Florida and about one third of the way from DC to South Florida. It deserves it's Mobil rating. Room was clean, and it had a mini refrigerator and a microwave; it has a Denny's on site (not gourmet certainly, but most adequate for an overnight stay). If you stop at the NC welcome center on I-95 their flyer offers a $10 discount off AAA/AARP rates. Present the flyer at check-in. A satisfactory stop in the middle of nowhere on a long motor trip. With that caveat, highly recommended.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness
  • Tips/Secrets — Stop at NC Welcome Center