“Great Fried Chicken” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fresh House
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Locust
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Washington Dc
“Great Fried Chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

A friend introduced me to The Fresh House. Our meal was excellent. We started with the Melted Pimento and Cheese appetizer. It's amazing. I recommend having it with fresh bread on the side. My fried chicken and green beans were very good. My squash and onions were excellent--almost as good as my grandmother's. Unfortunately, I didn't have room for the homemade ice cream. My friends say that it's excellent.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank SoloLadyWashingtonDc

Charlotte, NC
“Long time landmark with friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have been to the Fresh House twice in recent years while visiting a nearby attraction. The restaurant has a lot of character with an old country store that sells all kinds of things from baked goods to fruit syrups. The service both times was excellent and the food is mainly focused on country home-cooking type comfort food. The best thing we had was the appetizer "sampler basket" which had fried mushrooms and fried green beans; they were not greasy and done just perfect.
I ordered a veggie plate and found the greens to be unusually sweet (which I don't care for) and the fried okra had a lot of breading so it was just OK. My son had the chicken n dumplings but we really didn't care for them. I'm used to ones stewed in with the chicken that are rich and flavorful.
These were very noodle like and just didn't have much taste... The ribs were just OK. My son in law had country fried steak and really enjoyed that one.
We would eat here again if we were in the area as it is very comfortable and they make you feel right at home.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mt Gilead NC
“The Best Chicken & Dumplings By Chef Tunnie Hinson!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This past weekend I had chicken & dumplings from this restaurant that were made for the Pine Grove United Methodist Church, by the mother of the restaurants founder David Hinson. David passed away after a long battle with cancer in 2010. The church now holds an annual event for David's Endowment Fund. I use to go to the first Fresh House just after it opened and never missed the Chicken & Dumpling Saturday. I could eat them till I exploded they were so good. That was in 2002. I have had them since the church began serving them and always get two orders. It is ten years later and I am here to tell you Tunnie, David's mother and the Chicken & Dumpling Queen still makes them as good as they were in 2002! I admire David's wife Robin and her son Parker for keeping David's Dream Alive. When I go by the Fresh House the parking lot is near full all the time. I stop in and purchase some of the super baked goods & pimento cheese to go. All kinds of old time goodies on the shelves and all are great. If near Locust I strongly suggest you browse through the store and have some great food in a friendly atmosphere with lots of smiles (;>
Rich Berman
Mount Gilead, NC

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Richard B
Mint Hill
“Warm, friendly, good home cooking.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Ever see "Happy Days"? This is a step into the past. This is home atmosphere and cooking at it's best. And the prices are much less than many other places. It is far enough from Charlotte to not be ruined and close enough to the east side that a trip is not long at all. We were met by friendly hostesses, seated in a both, recieved quick and friendly service. The food was like Mom used to make. If you don't like waiting, go early. Word has gotten out about this place.

• Visited January 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Real Southern Cooking!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

One of my fav places in town to eat. Food is always fresh, and delicious. Service is friendly and they make the BEST Baklava I have EVER had!

Visited January 2013