“The Best Chicken & Dumplings By Chef Tunnie Hinson!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Fresh House

Fresh House
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Locust
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mt Gilead NC
“The Best Chicken & Dumplings By Chef Tunnie Hinson!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This past weekend I had chicken & dumplings from this restaurant that were made for the Pine Grove United Methodist Church, by the mother of the restaurants founder David Hinson. David passed away after a long battle with cancer in 2010. The church now holds an annual event for David's Endowment Fund. I use to go to the first Fresh House just after it opened and never missed the Chicken & Dumpling Saturday. I could eat them till I exploded they were so good. That was in 2002. I have had them since the church began serving them and always get two orders. It is ten years later and I am here to tell you Tunnie, David's mother and the Chicken & Dumpling Queen still makes them as good as they were in 2002! I admire David's wife Robin and her son Parker for keeping David's Dream Alive. When I go by the Fresh House the parking lot is near full all the time. I stop in and purchase some of the super baked goods & pimento cheese to go. All kinds of old time goodies on the shelves and all are great. If near Locust I strongly suggest you browse through the store and have some great food in a friendly atmosphere with lots of smiles (;>
Rich Berman
Mount Gilead, NC

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Richard B

Mint Hill
“Warm, friendly, good home cooking.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

Ever see "Happy Days"? This is a step into the past. This is home atmosphere and cooking at it's best. And the prices are much less than many other places. It is far enough from Charlotte to not be ruined and close enough to the east side that a trip is not long at all. We were met by friendly hostesses, seated in a both, recieved quick and friendly service. The food was like Mom used to make. If you don't like waiting, go early. Word has gotten out about this place.

• Visited January 2013
Fort Myers, Florida
“Real Southern Cooking!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

One of my fav places in town to eat. Food is always fresh, and delicious. Service is friendly and they make the BEST Baklava I have EVER had!

Visited January 2013
Concord, North Carolina
“Traveling and stopped in”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

Traveling and took a suggestion and stopped in to try. The restaurant is nice, clean and presents the appearance of the old general store. I had not read other reviews so didn't know what to expect, but I was concerned with the taste of the meal. I had the meatloaf, and my wife got the keisch and salad. The sauce was not as expected and the meat was not the flavor I had hoped for. The vegetables and cornbread were good and service was best you could ask for. My wife 's meal was also bland tasting.

For desert, we had pecan pie and blackberry cobbler. The pecans had a stale taste to them, but the cobbler was very good, Others reviews had high praise, so maybe I should have ordered something else. I will give them a second try in the future but today was not so good. Meal cost us $25.00.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Lee G
“Are you for real”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I ate there once because we had heard so many people say how good it was. Well it may have been good but for the price my bowl of chicken dumplings was so small and I paid way touch for them, I should have went to Cracker Barrel.

1 Thank Ameri-lite

Been to Fresh House? Share your experiences!