“Interesting spot”
Review of Switzerland Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Switzerland Inn
North Carolina
“Interesting spot”
Reviewed June 28, 2007

I had no idea what to expect. This place is in the middle of nowhere. Seriously if you drive to the absolute center of nowhere you will find this place. It is strange to see this Inn all dressed up like it's in the Swiss Alps. The rooms are very very basic. But it's clean and the food is good. It's a laid back kind of place (no surprise). I don't know why you would travel to the middle of nowhere but if you do this is where you will stay.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank sbccc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Ohio
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Our family just returned from a 3 night/2 day stay at the Little Switzerland Inn. We met extended family there and made use of their large sitting area in the lobby to congregate and visit with family from three different states.
It was our poor fortune to meet with fog and haze while we were there but having had to pay extra for a room with a "view" and not seeing one our entire stay was disappointing. The rooms, as stated by another reviewer are dated but I can live with that. I've visited "old" Switzerland and the hotels there are in worse condition than this.
What I found particularly offensive was several grouchy and unaccommodating desk staff. They complained about the noise level - which was kept to a minimal - and then kept one of our families awake at night with their loud talk in the lobby.
The old building has terrible noise absorption. We stayed in a room that adjoined another containing guests we didn't know. Their laughter and conversation kept me awake until 2:00 a.m. It was so clear I stuck my head out my door, thinking someone was just outside my door in the hallway.
The night air was cool and the staff often left the outside doors open, whether to let the smokey air out or the mountain air in, we weren't sure. A request to have a fire lit in the sitting area fireplace was met with a terse shake of the head.
On a positive note, the coffee in the lobby was great, as was the service in the dining room, contrary to the experience of another reviewer. The breakfast buffet that came with the room was always tasty, the hot food hot, and the wait staff friendly and accommodating.

Frieda Mast
Millersburg Oh

• Liked — The old world feel, the sitting area in the lodge
  • Disliked — The male desk staff
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank friedan
Asheville, NC
Reviewed June 4, 2007

I spent a night up at Little Switzerland in May with my wife expecting to have an up-to-date room for the price. The hotel is nice and the views are as well, but the rooms are a bit old fashioned. The beds are equivalent to the beds at Day's Inn. It was like they still had the original mattress on the bed. If you're looking for a blast from the 70s this is your place.

4 Thank andyctree
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed May 19, 2007

The views are breathtaking! We made last minute reservations and got the last room, it wasn't a mountain view but was still nice. A little dated but comfortable. The hot tubs and pool had a terrific view of the mountains. Our only complaint was the wait staff in the restraunt; the SERVICE was terrible for both dinner and breakfast. At dinner our waitress delivered our food, then we didn't see her until we tracked her down for the bill. The food was good, although I wouldn't recommend the Cajun Prime Rib (if you love prime rib, it just isn't right). The filet mignon was deliscious. At breakfast our server walked past our table 3 times (even after we called for her) before returning to bring drinks; I had to go get silverware myself. When we asked her to break a $10 bill for the tip, she gave us 2 fives! By that time we just wanted to get out of there. We will return despite the lacking service, I'm pretty sure they won't be there when we return.

• Liked — Location/Scenery
  • Disliked — Restraunt service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JessNLaura
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 27, 2006

I admit I went to the Little Switzerland Inn with a certain amount of skepticism. I was very surprised once we arrived.

The colors of the Blue Ridge in mid-October are incredible. Our room at the inn had an amazing view---especially around dusk and at sunrise. We both love photography and got some amazing shots right from the hotel room's deck.

The rooms were very clean and and the beds were large and comfortable. The customer service was excellent, from the desk staff to the team in the restaurant. I had an entre of cuccina chicken and sampled a bottle of the local wine and it made for a great meal.

The inn makes good use of large windows, and it's hard NOT to get a decent view of the scenery and appreciate the beaury of the location. This is an excellent choice for a Blue Ridge getaway.

• Liked — The beautiful location and the comfortable rooms
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pdxjeff1959
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed July 5, 2005

A great place to relax and enjoy an outstanding view of the mountains.
The resturant serves a great prime rib and perfectly prepared.

Stayed June 2005
#1 of 1 in Glen Alpine
Carolina Country Inn
Carolina Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Burnsville

Been to Switzerland Inn? Share your experiences!