Based on the reviews and photographs of this establishment online, we knew that it would be adequate for a one-night stay following a day of hiking on Grandfather Mountain. We wanted not much more than just a place to enjoy a simple meal and rest our feet and not immediately face a two-and-a-half hour drive back home. What we found instead was an inn of such quality and charm that it will see many return visits from us.
The rooms were unique and comfortable, with a good mix of modern amenities and classic hand-hewn design. What more could one require from a room besides a/c, heat, ceiling fans, cable tv with DVD player, mini fridge, full bathroom, etc.? Not to mention the awe-inspiring views from the balconies.
The food served at the restaurant was yet another astonishing accent to our stay. We've eaten at fine dining establishments all up and down the East Coast and our honeymoon dinner was on a mountain top overlooking downtown Vancouver, BC, Canada. Our meal at Skyline was comparable to some of the best meals we've eaten anywhere. The view from the deck overlooking the Catawba Valley is quite grand as well.
The Cavern Tavern has an incredibly wide selection of beer and wine. Mike helped us to select some that we had never tried ( a double chocolate stout and some Banana Bread Beer ) and even gave us a third frosty mug and recommended that we mix the two to make our own black and tan. Lynn spent some time locating an errant bottle of Jägermeister when she could have just told us that they were out.
Mike and Lynn made us and our dog feel very welcome during the entire duration of our stay. They were quite congenial and never hesitated to stop their busy routines and answer any questions posed by us or anyone. They love what they do and it definitely shows. Most places are just adequate for getting some sleep between Point A and Point B but Skyline Village Inn and Cavern Tavern is something much much more. I am already looking forward to our next visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at Milepost 331 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, halfway between Asheville and Blowing Rock/ Boone. Just 25 miles north of Mt. Mitchell and 25 miles south of Grandfather Mountain. We are motorcycle friendly and, in fact we rent Dual Sport Motorcycles. We are also Pet friendly. We are perched high on top of the Blue Ridge adjacent to the Parkway and only 200 feet from the Parkway ramp at the NC226 exit. We have 16 affordable rooms with a balcony that runs the length of the building overlooking the Catawba Valley and surrounding mountains. We have covered motorcycle parking as well as ground floor access to all 3 floors. The building has been renovated with new plumbing, electrical and refinished red oak floors. There is some very unique wood paneling made from 22 varieties of native wood. We serve guests only in the restaurant with an excellent beer and wine selection for on and off premises. Our gift shop has some unique rocks, gems and minerals, jewelry and Diamondback NC226A souvenirs and T-shirts. We pride ourselves on customer focus and hospitality. Come see us at the Skyline. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your Skyline Village Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skyline Village Inn & Cavern Tavern Hotel Little Switzerland
- Skyline Village Inn And Cavern Tavern
- Skyline Village Hotel Cavern Tavern