“Exceeded Every Expectation”

Skyline Village Inn
Spartanburg, South Carolina
“Exceeded Every Expectation”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Based on the reviews and photographs of this establishment online, we knew that it would be adequate for a one-night stay following a day of hiking on Grandfather Mountain. We wanted not much more than just a place to enjoy a simple meal and rest our feet and not immediately face a two-and-a-half hour drive back home. What we found instead was an inn of such quality and charm that it will see many return visits from us.

The rooms were unique and comfortable, with a good mix of modern amenities and classic hand-hewn design. What more could one require from a room besides a/c, heat, ceiling fans, cable tv with DVD player, mini fridge, full bathroom, etc.? Not to mention the awe-inspiring views from the balconies.

The food served at the restaurant was yet another astonishing accent to our stay. We've eaten at fine dining establishments all up and down the East Coast and our honeymoon dinner was on a mountain top overlooking downtown Vancouver, BC, Canada. Our meal at Skyline was comparable to some of the best meals we've eaten anywhere. The view from the deck overlooking the Catawba Valley is quite grand as well.

The Cavern Tavern has an incredibly wide selection of beer and wine. Mike helped us to select some that we had never tried ( a double chocolate stout and some Banana Bread Beer ) and even gave us a third frosty mug and recommended that we mix the two to make our own black and tan. Lynn spent some time locating an errant bottle of Jägermeister when she could have just told us that they were out.

Mike and Lynn made us and our dog feel very welcome during the entire duration of our stay. They were quite congenial and never hesitated to stop their busy routines and answer any questions posed by us or anyone. They love what they do and it definitely shows. Most places are just adequate for getting some sleep between Point A and Point B but Skyline Village Inn and Cavern Tavern is something much much more. I am already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank parris43

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2011

My son and I stayed here on a short Summer trip to his college in a nearby town. I believe strongly in supporting businesses that are family owned and operated. The innkeepers were very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and had been recently remodeled, as was its en-suite bathroom. The beds were comfortable. Cable and free wireless internet were welcome after a day on the road. The Inn is only feet from the Blue Ridge Parkway, a pretty rare thing. The town is easy to reach from other local destinations. The building is built against the mountainside, so travelers with mobility issues will find the third floor rooms are easily accessible from the back parking lot, with no steps to negotiate. The hotel is non-smoking and pet-friendly, and though I have mild pet-dander allergies, I didn't have any trouble there. We didn't go to the restaurant because we had already eaten, and we were in a hurry the next morning and did not go for the breakfast, so I cannot comment there. I never sleep well in any hotel, despite decades of traveling for work. If you are looking for a boring, cookie-cutter hotel experience this is not the place for you, but if you want something instead with charm, something locally-owned and operated, a place with friendly, personal service, a place with an interesting building and the charm of yesterday, then try this place. We will be back for sure.
MDS - Columbia SC

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Michael S
Morristown,Tennessee
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We took a little overnight trip to Little Switzerland NC.We booked rooms at the Skyline Inn.Mike and the whole crew was excellent hosts.Anything we needed they had.Cooled or fridge in the rooms,Best selection of beer and wine around.But I'll tell you this The Philly cheese steak sandwich was the best I have ever had.All the food was excellent.Mike the owner can fill ya in on some good history of the Inn.Stay out on the balcony and look at the scenery its wonderful.I will say this the breakfast is some danish and cereal but for free you cant complain.if you want a hot breakfast you will have to go elsewhere.overall stay was excellent and you will not find this kind of hospitality at any other hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a balcony room if possible
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Roadsofa
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This was my second visit to Skyline Village Inn. This is one of my favorite places to stay. Mike and the family make you feel like you live there. The rooms are beautiful, the food excellent, and the views are unbeatable. If you are looking for a five star with all the services, this is not you place, but if you are looking for a five star relaxing atmosphere, here it is.

Room Tip: ask for balcony room
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank SJonesKnox
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 5, 2011

The location is nice but the other parts of the hotel are bad
- Bad mattresses. Both me and my gf woke up with back aches. The mattress had lost its shape.
- Squeaky beds. We could hear our 2 room apart guests having sex. The bed was too squeaky.
- Bad service. We stayed for 2 days. They didn't change the sheets while cleaning the room. They just made the bed and skipped on changing the sheets.
- Stupid charges. They charged 20% more on our card than expedia rate. And they also charged for 3 days when we stayed only for 2 days. We had to raise a claim with credit card company to get it reversed.
- Weak Internet. They have internet service but the signal is very weak in rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank birdsky
Mikeatskyline, Owner at Skyline Village Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
It's odd to see feedback posted anonymously like this when the party said nothing about lack of service during their 2 day stay.
We did make an error and charged them for one more day than we should have. This error was promptly corrected when we learned of it and his credit card company was never in touch with us as stated in the tripadvisor report.
He complains we did not change the sheets during his 2 night stay. I don't know of any hotel that does unless the party has lost bowel control or had some similar malfunction that warrants a change during the 2 night stay.
He says he heard the "couple" 2 doors from him having sex. The "couple" in question was 2 bikers, both male. I asked them about this and they said they are not homosexuals..not that there's anything wrong with that. But they did not like the implication that they were being unfaithful to their wives and girlfriends. I told them that maybe Birdsdung was wrong about the internet being weak and maybe he had Anthony Weiner on line. Mungo & Harley indicated that they would like to speak to Birdsdung about this so I passed on his name & phone number. Hope you don't mind BD! Thanks for the input buddy!
Norfolk, VA
Reviewed June 2, 2011

My husband, myself and our 2 bullmastiffs stayed 2 nights at this hotel. We were greeted warmly and treated like family. Our dogs were even cordially invited to come everywhere we went. Mike, the inn keeper, was very hospitable and went out of his way to accomodate us and make sure we had a good experience. I highly recommend this hotel. It has got a great view over the Mountains and even though I am not a mountains kind of person i would looove a chance to go back and stay at the Skyline Village Inn!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank workingclasslass
Northampton, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I recently finished up a 1200 mile bicycle tour of the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway. I stayed at many a hotel/motel/Inn and this place was by far the best of them. I actually stayed there on my way south and liked it so much I stayed there again on my way back north. I found the rooms to be quaint, cozy, and clean. I got the last room on a busy Saturday and although the Inn was full it felt like I had the place to myself at times, except of course at dinner. After riding 60 miles, climbing 6000 vertical while towing a 90 pound trailer I'm in serious need of food and a couple of cold beers. I found both in spades at the Skyline. The restaurant and bar on the first floor had a Saturday night buffet that was fantastic and reasonably priced with a diverse spread that offered something for all tastes. The beer selection was phenomenal! I repeat..... phenomenal! In my 1200 miles of travel from Front Royal, VA to Cherokee, NC and back I never encountered another store or restaurant that even came close. You can even mix and match for your own unique six pack which is something I love to do when sampling local brews. The balcony on the third floor was open to all and provided incredible panoramic views of the mountains and a peaceful place to read. The second floor has a fantastic lounge with a pool table and a bar but I believe the bar is only staffed during the summer. But you can buy beer downstairs and keep it in the cooler behind the bar while you shoot a couple games of pool. It's kind of like your own private party. The continental breakfast in the morning would have been more than enough on any other day ( cereal, pastries, fresh fruit) but with another 60 mile day I opted for the scrambled eggs and bacon in the restaurant which did not disappoint and fueled me up for the day. The owners Mike and Lynn and their staff went out of their way to make me feel welcome without being intrusive in any way. My second stay was much like the first with one exception. Being a Monday in October the restaurant was not open. However, after talking to Mike, he had one of his staff go back to the kitchen and fix me up one of the most monstrous plates of food I've ever had. It was so much I had to finish it for lunch the next day. This is the kind of hospitality you can expect if you stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
#2 of 5 in Spruce Pine
Carolina Country Inn
Carolina Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Burnsville

Been to Skyline Village Inn? Share your experiences!