“Big Lynn Lodge A Favorite of Mine for Years”
Review of Big Lynn Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Big Lynn Lodge
A TripAdvisor Member
“Big Lynn Lodge A Favorite of Mine for Years”
Reviewed April 3, 2002

I first discovered The Big Lynn Lodge by accident in 1971, and found it delightful in every way,with a moderate price and two wonderful meals prepared by the owner chef. In those days, the owners were a husband and wife team, whose last names were Reynolds. He ran the desk, and she was the chef, and a very good one. After discovering the lodge for many years, I came back each Spring for a long weekend, and occasional stays there during the summer.

Some time around 1985, my schedule did not allow me the time to make those anual visits to the Lodge, but, now in retirement, this past summer, 2001 I scheduled a two day stay there to see what the new owners were doing with the best escape environment, and food plan that I had ever experienced. We were very fortunate because we were able to add an extra day on to our stay, and my wife's comment, it was her first experience with the lodge, as we drove out of their lot, was "I want to do this every year."

What is special about this place? Over the years I have experienced the full range of their accomodations. They have some rooms, with a view that are built like motel rooms. Then there are hotel type rooms in the Lodge itself, but my favorite place is the old original cabins that have those wonderful front porches, and a view of at least fourteen rows of Blue Ridge Mountains.

On one occasion, I had a room on the back side of the cabins that faces a small strip of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and the food made that trip okay too. It is hard to imagine a better mountaiview than that from the Eastern side of the property. All units are well maintained and well appointed.

The dining room has a view of the beautiful Catawba Valley. There is a good library in the Lodge, a player piano, and plenty of rolls, and a wonderful game area on the ground floor. The rolls for the new owners has changed from the original plan. The husband and son are both chefs, and the wife manages the desk and work force. The food is still incredible, and this past summer my wife tried a dish that she had never before liked, but the preparation made a difference, and she asked for seconds.

Yes, though they always serve me plenty of food to start with, The Big Lynn policy is that lodgers may ask for seconds of anything until they are full. I am looking forward already to my stay there over the coming summer. The food, friendly atmostphere, and cordial fellow guests puts this on top of the list as something to do on summer vacations for my wife and I.

Mickey Young
Bokeelia, Florida

49 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Switzerland
#1 of 5 in Marion
Springmaid Mountain
Springmaid Mountain
#2 of 5 in Spruce Pine

Been to Big Lynn Lodge? Share your experiences!