“Great Experience”
Review of Big Lynn Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Big Lynn Lodge
Orlando, Florida
“Great Experience”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We've stayed at the Big Lynn Lodge quite a few times and have enjoyed every visit. We now like cabin rentals with hot tubs, but you just beat the lodging and ambience here at the lodge. The owners make you feel very welcome and it's a uniquely wonderful experience to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Georgetown, South Carolina
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I have been a professional mystery guest for most of my life. This was a vacation not work, and it was great. Friendly employees, comfortable beds and pillows, a nice flat screen TV, country cooking all made for a very nice stay. Better still was the view from the cabins; all with rocking chairs on the porches. The only minus was no internet in the cabin for those who need the service.

Room Tip: Any cabin facing the valley.
1 Thank Tom S
Lexington, South Carolina
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My family and i decided to come back to Big Lynn one last time before the season ended for the year. We decided to stay in the "newer" part of the lodge which is on the right side of the office. We love staying here for the view on the valley below and for having breakfast and dinner served to you each day. Big Lynn is just out of the way enough from town but if you still need anything, you are about 10 to 15 minutes away from shopping, ect. Overall, the room was clean and well kept considering that the rooms are very outdated but that is what gives it its' charm. The only two issues were that the tv in the room would not stay on, i think it had a bad computer board and we did tell the front desk but nothing was really done about it. It would have been nice to have the tv swapped out from a room next door that was not being used. The other issue is that the heating system needs to be replaced. The baseboard heat is very uncomfortable and when you try to "level" it out with the a/c , it just doesn't quite get right. It would be great if they could upgrade to a better heating and air system. I know that they are closed during the hard winter months but it does get pretty windy and cold up there. WiFi was another issue in the rooms but you can walk down to the lobby and use it there and sit in the very comfy library area and enjoy the awesome views. As far as the food goes, it could be better. Breakfast is always the best. You only get your basic food items but it's always ready within a few minutes and taste good. You can ask for more but by the time you get done, you don't want any more. Dinner could be better. They always have a good choices in what they plan out to serve you but it's a hit and miss on being hot. One item may be just right but the other would be cold. You get pretty full from dinner as well because they serve you fresh bread, salad (wish they could go to walmart and get more dressing selections), dinner then desert. Overall, you can overlook some of the minor issues and enjoy a great time there. The staff is always friendly and welcoming. We have stayed there over the past few years and it's always a pleasure.

Room Tip: It really depends on your taste. The older cabins will give you that rustic feeling but have great v...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DGfromCarolina
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My family stayed here recently as part of a family reunion. My wife and I are accustomed to the older type room since we are baby boomers. My 20 something son was disappointed there was no flat screen TV but they did have access to ESPN channels (which my brother-in-law does not have in his home nearby). Meals (breakfast and dinner) are usually included with the room rate but we had gotten a special rate so breakfast cost $6 which was very reasonable (you can have seconds). We ate dinner one night and it was so-so. They have a very friendly staff and the view is great if you're on that side -- our view was of Hwy. 226 A and the Blue Ridge Parkway another 50 feet away. The only problem we experienced was that the heat did not work our second night and the room tem got down to 62. Fortunately it was a bit warmer that day -- the night before when we arrived it was 22.

We'd stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain side for the view. I would imagine that the street side could be noisy in the summe...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Toothsc
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We have stayed at Big Lynn Lodge for several years. We enjoy the quaitness of it and love staying in cottage 112. We go in October - trees did not have much color this yea but we still enjoyed driving on the Blueridge Parkway. I would recommend this to anyone who does not have to have luxury!!

San Miguel
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I decided at the last minute to travel from Charlotte to Western North Carolina to view the autumn leaves. We knew that finding a room would be difficult, but decided to chance it. On our way north along the Blue Ridge Parkway we discovered Little Switzerland and Big Lynn Lodge. Happily due to some sort of reservation confusion 1 room was available on our arrival. We had a great view, the room was comfortable and spotless and the price included dinner and breakfast. Dinner, one offering, was ordinary but ok, seconds were available and breakfast was chosen from the menu. There was live, good bluegrass music in the evening. The owners and staff could not have been friendlier. The atmosphere was like a family reunion and I suspect that had we stayed for more than one night we would have met everyone.

Room Tip: ask for 1 with a view
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Reviewed October 18, 2013

A couple of my friends invited me to join them at their annual trek to the Big Lynn Lodge in Little Switzerland, NC. After reading the many positive reviews on TripAdvisor, I was really looking forward to the trip.

When I made the reservation, I was told on the phone that they would charge my credit card for almost half of my stay. That was not what I was used to with other hotels and inns, but I agreed. The price for the night was about what you would pay at a four-star hotel and it included breakfast and supper (but no lunch) so I was not too put off by the price of the room.

But when I arrived and saw my cabin, it was quite primitive. None of the furniture in the room matched. I have been in some very delightful bed and breakfast places where the setting was rustic but the decor was wonderful and the food was fantastic! Big Lynn Lodge had neither. While the room was quiet, the bed was not very comfortable. I could feel one of the bedsprings poking me in my back.

In my cabin, the window shade was broken, so you could not close the curtains completely allowing anyone walking by to have a view of you in the light. Speaking of lights, one of the lamps in the room did not work. I sat down with friends in the lodge to play a game, and the table was very wobbly. We tried to insert paper under the table just to make it steady enough for us to play a game. This is ridiculous for the price you have to pay for this place.

The food was good, but not great. It certainly was not anything to write home about. It might be a little less than what you might get at Denny's or Cracker Barrel. But don't expect that many options -- the options are quite limited. I certainly would not make a trip there just for the food.

The final straw for me was the wireless internet which they advertised did not work. I had counted on the internet to do some things on my laptop while I was staying there. But neither the wireless in the lobby nor on their guest computer worked (there is not wireless availability in the private rooms -- only in the lobby). We I complained to the front desk about this, their response was, "Well, the internet works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. It's just one of those things." I don't think you should advertise as having wireless internet if it does not work half of the time.

The best part of my stay there was the friendliness of the waitresses. They were wonderful! But then your room charge only covers your food; it does not cover your gratuities. When you arrive, the front desk will give you a sheet of paper describing what the expected tips will be for the waitresses at each meal.

I talked to many of the people who stayed there, and some have been coming every year for dozens of years. Most of the people who stay here are older, retired couples. I doubt that the Big Lynn Lodge would attract many younger couples.

I certainly will not be back here again. The place is run down. It certainly has a lot of potential, and I'm sure at one time it was a very special place to come on an annual basis. But I would never recommend it to anyone. Expect to pay more than $150 a night for less than Motel 6 quality.

1 Thank DoctorJehle
#1 of 1 in Glen Alpine
Carolina Country Inn
Carolina Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Burnsville

Been to Big Lynn Lodge? Share your experiences!