“Discriminated!!!”

Tartan Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Linville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Discriminated!!!”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We waited to be seated for a while...at first I thought they were just busy...then when we were waiting to be served I noticed that when white people get to the door...there was no wait at all!!! And the bad thing was, 3 parties who came after us got served before us!!! I was so frustrated so WE LEFT STILL WAITING TO BE SERVED!!!

3 Thank Hazeline444

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good little place to eat while traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway.”
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I were getting back on the Blue Ridge Parkway to finish our drive after staying overnight in Boone and ran across the Tartan. I had seen it the evening before on our way into Boone but thought it was strictly a place for lunch or dinner. I noticed that it was near a gas station where we could fill up before continuing our trip and was surprised to see that it was open for breakfast. We were seated at our table, our order was taken and we were very pleased when we received our food. I had a western omelet and my wife simply had one egg and bacon with hash brown casserole. I have no reservations in saying that it was the best omelet I have ever had. I had a bite or two of her hash brown casserole and as much as like the hash brown casserole at Cracker Barrel, I must say that this was better. And the coffee is good too.

South Florida, Florida
“Nice family spot in Linville”
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Had dinner with the wife just before closing. Best Mushroom & Swiss Burger ever. Had their homemade peanut butter pie and it was delicious! Excellent Service.

Cocoa, Florida
“Average food, but priced right!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Friendly service, with a large Sunday lunch offering which included baked chicken, a vegetable, rice and gravy, stuffing, and a dessert. The chicken was a little dry, and we didn't need two carbos such as rice and stuffing, but that's just us! They served a nice dessert, and the service was good.

• Visited September 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
“ZERO Scottish or Irish food”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Why do they call this Tartan Restaurant? There is absolutely ZERO Irish or Scottish food on the menu. My husband and I were eager to eat here after the Highland Games for a sit down hearty Scottish or Irish meal, but were sadly disappointed to find it is basically just a diner with subpar American food catering to the elderly locals. I guess they found their niche customer base but it is terrible for newcomers to the area. I feel like we were tricked and we wasted what could have been a good meal somewhere else. With a name like that you would expect Scottish or Irish food especially when is next door to the Highland Games Headquarters and its sitting right next to Grandfather Mountain where the Highland Games are held. Terribly disappointing. They had hot dogs, burgers, sandwiches, and a few entrees but nothing remotely Irish or Scottish.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Dee R
tobieLinville, Owner at Tartan Restaurant, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
I am so sorry you were disappointed with The Tartan Restaurant this summer. The name Tartan ,could be misleading to some people, you are right I do not sell any Scottish or Irish foods, except Irish potatoes, in many different ways .Mashed, fried,broiled,baked,boiled,stuffed.,scalloped etc.I can not maintain a business 52 weeks out of the year to Cater to 1 week of the Highland Games. Hagus, meat pies and shortbread are not big sellers in the Applachain Mts in .Western N.C. Yes, my niche customer base is 52 weeks out of the year,serving good food to Local good ole Avery County People and those surrounding counties and states. Yes, i have people who come to eat with me from out of state 2 to 4 times a week and other counties. Again I am sorry, I wish you would have "come on in" enjoyed our good food, friendly staff, cleaniness, the unique Scottish Decor and The Saint Andrews Room. I have been in the Restaurant business in Linville N.C. over 30 year, I must be doing something right. If your ever in the area again, please stop by and eat with us!