“Not too bad if you drop in, but don't make a special trip....”

The River Dog Coffee House and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Linville
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Newland, Nc
“Not too bad if you drop in, but don't make a special trip....”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

The River Dog Cafe is located very near, if not in, Linville. It is in a small but nice office complex that has a bank, a lawyer, an Edward Jones office and a couple of other things I cannot remember. It is a bit out of place here but that is of no matter. The decor is nice inside and in the summer you can sit out front at smallish tables to enjoy your lunch and coffee. Not much of a view from there but there is no foot traffic and it could be relaxing.

The wait staff is not professional, at all. They are not rude but it is like they don't know how to properly serve customers. Every time I have been there I have had to got to the register to get a water or tea refill. The waiter just doesn't seem to be all there. There are a couple of girls that wait there that seem to be okay. We usually sit in the rear of the restaurant due to my being there for a business lunch.

In the winter it will be cold there. Due to what I assume is a ventilation issue, the windows in the back are always open and the ceiling fans are running which makes for a chilly lunch. When I mentioned it they said it was for ventilation and went on their way. The restaurant is otherwise cozy and relaxing. I think they give you a code or card for Wi-Fi that has a limit of an hour , I think. Someone mentioned that it is because they don't want you hanging around. Well, duh. Neither would I. I have always had a bit of a distaste for folks that buy a $2 cup of coffee, then take up space for three hours surfing Facebook or playing solitaire. So, I don't think this policy is bad.

The food is above average. I believe they use Boar's Head meats and cheeses. The sandwiches are always good and the sides and soups are as well. I have never left anything on my plate and everything I have ordered there is tasty. And, I like the fact that they don't serve you enough food for three people. But, it is plenty to fill you up and if you aren't one who feels like every meal may be their last. The half sandwich and soup for lunch is plenty filling and reasonably priced, albeit a buck or so more than you may be used to paying,

Bottom line: This is a good place to eat lunch on a nice summer day in the mountains where you can avoid the throngs of other tourists in the area. If you go in the winter, wear you jacket inside.

• Visited December 2012

Athens, Georgia
“Went there for coffee and internet”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Yes, it's been for more than a year. The barista, if you could call him that, as I have worked in a coffee shop before for several years before it closed down, anyways, the guy saw me come in, I wanted a latte, and he went in the back and was gone for 10 minutes. I waited and said Hello?! He came back with a sarcastic tone May I help you? I got my order, of a cold latte and they have this really weird internet thing with a card. It just feels like they don't want you there that long, doesn't feel like a good hangout and it's in an area where it's out of place and looks like a catch all business buldings. The bathroom were very dirty and were rank with a terrible smell. I also got a cookie last time for my 5 year old nephew and he found hair in it. EWW!! I hope they have changed for the better because they need a new outlook.

Virginia
“Great coffee and breakfast”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stopped at River Dog Cafe three out of four mornings during our stay in the Linville area. They had fantastic coffee - four to choose from: a dark, a medium, a flavored and a decaf, in addition to other coffee bar selections like latte and cappuccino. In addition to their great coffee, they also serve a wonderful breakfast. My Belgian waffle was light and crisp and perfect. My husband's bacon, egg and cheese panini was piping hot and delicious. The cafe is very cozy and charming and the staff is friendly and helpful. Definitely recommended!

• Visited October 2012