“Beautiful Hike”

Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Linville
More attraction details
Owner description: This area, which offers hiking, camping, birdwatching and wildlife, was named for William Linville who was killed here by Indians in the 1700s.
Lenoir, North Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Beautiful Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Beautiful hike, free and gets you out and moving. Couldn't be much better than that! I loved the beautiful views here!

Visited April 2013

Columbia, South Carolina
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“beautiful views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Great walk. Moderate terrain. We had a group of 8. Ages ranging from 9 years old - 50 years old. We all kept up pretty well with each other. The views of the falls are AMAZING. So pretty. It looked like there are bathroom facilities but they were boarded up, I'm guessing because I visited during the winter months.

Visited February 2014
Wilmington, North Carolina
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Heaven on Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

Not for the non-experienced outdoorsman, but when you have earned you hiking badge and spent a minor fortune at REI this the place on earth where you experience the definitions of breath taking views and burn memories in you mind that you will take to your grave. Your first experience of Brown Mountain lights from within the gorge, sunrise on top of table rock, open your tent door to find a white tail deer in your camp or see Mother Nature change her colors in the fall, you will be forever changed. I am not joking when I saw this is not for the Walmart camper, but if within your heart you hear the call of Linville go find an experienced back county camper who will place you under their wing and hope they are patient enough to allow you the experience while keeping you out of trouble. Coffee brewed at the river after a night on the ground is something you will want to remember forever so you can tell your grandchildren.

Visited August 2013
St. Louis, MO
119 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 199 helpful votes
“What a Super Cool Way to Spend a Day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

My partner and I stopped by Linville Falls National Park as one of our hikes along the Blue Ridge Parkway while staying in Asheville, NC. I can say I am glad we did because it was one of our favorite hikes we did in the area. When we were there, it was during the government shut down - so the park was still open but the roads into it were closed. We had to park along the Blue Ridge Parkway and walk to the trail head and back from there (this added an additional 3+ miles to our hike which took time away from the actual hiking - BOO). But it is open now so you can drive right to the trail head and start your experience and do it all within the time it took us to do only part of it.

There are a series different trails here which take you to various overlooks / spots to view the falls / gorge. We did all the vantage points except for the Plunge Basin (the very bottom of the waterfall) as we ran out of time. The trails up to the very top (Erwin's Overlook) were moderately difficult and pretty easy to navigate. Mostly dirt and stone steps to walk up and down. The only real challenge about this trail is you are going uphill. Other than that, it is something I think most people could do and was easy to traverse. We saw all ages on this trail - from younger kids to grandparents...

We stopped at the following overlooks along the way: Upper Falls (the two small twin falls are located here), Chimney View, Gorge View, and Erwin's View (the last three all overlooked the falls / gorge). Again, all of these four spots can all be accessed via the Erwin's View trail. Not counting the extra time it took to walk from the park entrance, I think it took us about 2.5 hours to walk this trail from / back to the parking area - taking our time and enjoying the scenery around us.

Keep in mind that we are from the Midwest, so there are not a lot of forest areas with waterfalls - so we don't have much to compare it to. I know some people are disappointed that the falls are not that big - but I will say the falls were pretty big to us and the surroundings were stunning. The gorge is just beautiful and seeing how it flows into the Linville River is very cool. I only wish we had time to head to the bottom (Plunge Basin) - although I hear that trail is strenuous - so maybe it is good we did not do it. Ha! We went in mid October and the fall color was just starting to show. We cannot imagine what this place looks like in the peak fall colors!

If you are in the area and considering visiting this park, we would both absolutely recommend it! It was easy compared to the others we did and offered some beautiful surroundings and amazing views. And it all was very peaceful and calming too. It really was quite stunning. The only other piece of advice we have for you is to make enough time to go to the Plunge Basin as well. I can imagine that the view from the bottom is just as cool as it was from the top.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank JTF_1977
Raleigh
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great hiking trails and spectacular views!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

My husband and I spent about 2.5 hours hiking the trails with our 11 year old son. We took our time to not get worn out and enjoyed the views at each trail. Definitely worth the trip! We went mid October and the weather was great!

Visited October 2013