“Closer than the mountains, better than the beach”

Cape Fear River Adventures, LLC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We offer kayak, canoe, SUP (stand-up paddleboards), and river tubing trips for your self-guided pleasure on the breathtakingly beautiful Cape Fear River. We are just a short drive from Raleigh, Durham, Fayetteville, and their surrounding areas. The Cape Fear River offers Class I and II+ rapids for experienced paddlers and novices alike. We have friendly & knowledgeable staff ready to assist you if you have any questions about what we do. Please give us a call or shoot us an email for more information on your next outdoor adventure!
Reviewed June 1, 2013

* Reasonably Priced
* Friendly, Knowledgeable Staff
* Fantastic Day Trip for paddlers of any skill level

My wife and I went made a reservation to take a tandem kayak on the 10 mile down river float over Memorial Day weekend, but unfortunately the water levels on the river were too high. The company's website has a useful link to let you know when this is going to be an issue. They easily accommodated our trip for the next weekend instead.

Upon arrival we found the staff to be helpful, knowledgeable and informative. Despite a constant flow of customers we received personal instruction about the course of the river, along with kayaking fundamentals and safety. Having kayaked on open water before, I found the instruction to be tailored to my personal level of experience.

The trip down to Erwin was fantastic! We found several places to stop and rest in the shade along the way, and the rapids provided excitement, but were well within the range of our beginner/novice skills. The landing spot is easily identifiable (don't pass the bridge!), and we had no trouble making it ten miles in 4 1/2 hours even with a low current. The pick-up van even arrived a little early, so we easily kept our schedule to get home.

With the mountains and beach several hours from our home in either direction, it's usually difficult to find satisfying outdoor activities suitable for a day trip from the sandhills region. This is an excellent place to go and an easy drive from Fayetteville or Pinehurst. You'll be home in time for dinner.

Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Had an awesome day today kayaking for a birthday celebration. Everyone was really friendly and we had such a nice time on the peaceful river. Enjoyed some great wildlife too! A perfect way to spend the afternoon!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place is AWESOME! Just wanted to say thank you to Ilia for all the help last Saturday! It was me and my brothers first time kayaking. Ilia showed us everything from entering and exiting the kayak to paddling techniques to what to do if you do flip. Which thankfully we didn't! I highly recommend the leisure paddle for beginners. We paddled about an hour and 15 mins up river ( Yes up river the currents are not bad and this was extremely easier than i thought it was gonna be) and then back down to where we began. They offer military discounts as well which was great! Again thanks for all the help! My brother and I look forward to returning very soon to take on the next course!
John

Reviewed April 13, 2013

If you are looking for an adventure, this is definitely the place to go! I decided to plan a father-daughter kayaking trip one weekend and stumbled across Megan and Ilia's website. This was my first time planning such a trip and Megan was a huge help; she answered all of my emails and helped me chose the right trip, their eponymous Cape Fear Adventure. My dad and I had never really experienced river rapids before but when we got there Ilia walked us through each stage of the river. The first half was pleasant and calm, plenty of blue herons stalking about and turtles basking on logs. After that there were a few rocks to dodge, and then the river picked up speed. The rapids were a lot of fun, but we got really wet and by the time we got out we were soaked, tired, and grinning from ear to ear. It was definitely a good time, and I am very glad to have met Megan, Ilia, and their daughter- they are all very nice and extremely helpful! I would definitely come back!

megsena, Owner at Cape Fear River Adventures, LLC, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Hi there Megan!
It was such a pleasure meeting you and your dad that weekend! We couldn't be more pleased that you both enjoyed your Cape Fear River Adventure :-) We do hope to see you both back again soon...!
Megan

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I met Ilia and Megan by chance launching from the same ramp their shop is. I am an avid paddler and like to turn new people onto such a great sport. I have had several friends use them and every time they show excellent customer service and prove their adventures are a bang for the buck.
I held an event just recently at Rhodes Pond in Dunn, NC and Ilia was more than willing to rent some craft - bringing the boats there and picking them up. And making the transaction easy for everyone. Their customer service is outstanding!
I highly recommend seeing them to set up your next adventure with family, friends, or a team building event!

Hi Steve! Thank you for choosing us to handle your Rhodes Pond excursion! And as for turning on some newbies to paddling... that's pretty AWESOME! We hope we see you around our boat ramp one of these days! Come by to say "hey" :-)
Megan