“Disappointed”

Backcountry Barbecue
Ranked #16 of 123 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Heading home from vacation the first weekend in August we decided to try Lexington, NC barbecue. Did research and decided to stop here (all positive reviews on TripAdvisor). The first place we were going to was closed because they were on vacation. Stopped at Backcountry BBQ around lunch time and was looking forward to some pulled pork bbq. Sat down and the girl brought us our drinks and told us there was no pork bbq, just chicken. We thought she was joking, but she was serious. She said that they had some big party or something on Friday night and did not make anymore for Saturday. I also noticed that a couple of families that came in after us left after they found out they had no pork. So we had the chicken bbq since we drove out of our way to get here. Nonetheless, the chicken, slaw and hush puppies were very good, but we would have liked to try the pulled pork. We'll travel down that way next summer and will give them one more try.

1  Thank Riggo44

Reviewed March 4, 2010

One of the very few BBQ restaurants in Lexington open on Sunday, this little place in the country beats most of the local BBQ competition any day of the week. Great food and prices. Weekly specials are appreciated. We go often for the steak dinner for 2. Service ranges from good to so-so.

3  Thank NCjoyful
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We tried the Backcountry Barbeque after reading the Feilding_Melish review.
We were warmly greeted as we entered the door. Dad and I each had a coarse chopped pork plate with baked beans and white slaw. My husband had a coarse chopped plate with red slaw and french fries. And we had fresh, hot, delicious hush puppies. The tender pork is served covered in a tangy red sauce. Both types of slaw are on the sweet side, but very good. The scrumptious baked beans were enhanced with green peppers and bacon.
They have upgraded to plates and flatware.

3  Thank Motherbritanica
Reviewed September 10, 2009

Especially if its the lady who normally cooks them, the burgers are the best in Lexington! Not only that....you can get a 20 oz steak 2 salads, 2 baked potatoes and the best rolls for 14.99!!!! Go here even if you have to go out of your way...the restaurant is not much to look at, it could use some renovating but the food is excellent!

2  Thank berrysweetncgurl
Reviewed July 10, 2008

I was lucky enough to find this place via the restaurant list in our GPS just as we approached the exit off I-85, and I'm sure glad we did. When the parking lot is full of what can only be locals, it's a pretty good sign.

Though the place was packed, we were seated very quickly and our drink orders taken immediately. Sweet tea is still somewhat of a novelty for a Yankee, and theirs was good. I had the sliced smoked pork and like most of the items on their menu, it was served in a paper french fry basket along with plastic utensils. Frankly, I wouldn't have cared if it was served on a dirty sock - it was that good. Not a heavy smoked flavor - just enough to let you know it was there, and absolutely the most tender and juicy BBQ'd pork I've ever had. The ketchup/vinegar-based sauce was served on the side and I had the hush puppies instead of the fries. The sauce was like nothing I've ever had. Simply done, and a fantastic compliment to the pork without overpowering it. The kids had chicken tenders and a burger [sigh] and were happy with theirs, also. Wifey had the chopped version of the same pork and it was excellent, also. I think the bill for the 4 of us was $27.

I highly recommend this place as an alternative to the corporate BBQ chains along the interstate. It's different because it's the real thing. Simply done in the local style, without flash or pretense and executed perfectly. If there's better BBQ in the area - please let me know about it and I'll hit it the next time through.

6  Thank Fielding_Mellish