Tripadvisor

Backcountry Barbecue
Ranked #21 of 135 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Stopped here on a Sat for lunch. Busy but no wait.
We had the brisket plate and prime rib sandwich.
Plenty of food. Everything was excellent. Sweet tea was tasty.
Would definitely stop here again.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (49)

Reviewed December 9, 2019 via mobile

If you are looking for a great barbecue experience. Unfortunately this is not the place. There is at least 10 other barbecue places around here I would rather go to than this one. They don't have the three C's that the others do. That is cost-effectiveness, cleanliness, and courtesy. For some reason it's hard to get waited on here. They never have enough waitresses. Then the other thing is sometimes it is awesome and other times it is disgusting. Not very consistent like the other places. I'm not going to name names that would be ludicrous. However the Cooks Family is synonymous with BBQ in this area. I enjoyed the good old days when they ran the cabin called Cooks BBQ on Rock Crusher Road. So I am familiar with their brand of barbecue which was very good back in the woods. However this place is never quite like that. For some reason they put more sauce on it here. And for another reason I just don't taste the wood smoke like I did there. I don't know if they are using the machine more here than wood smoke. Because I am not in the kitchen. However the way it taste I would say it's more machine based here. Everyone says this place is awesome. Whenever I come here no one wants to wait on us at all. Every time I come here they only have two waitresses. And they seem to get stuck on the front end and never get out to the customers. The place always look dirty. The salad bar has a cough guard on it that looks like it has been through War War 3. The vegetables on the salad bar don't look too fresh. Just the overall Place does not feel like a great barbecue establishment should. When I go to most of my barbecue establishments. I feel like I am getting my money's worth and then some. I have never left here feeling that way. They just increase the prices on their menu once again. And I still think it is ludicrous to how much they charge people to add onions to pinto beans. Most of the establishments do this for free. They also will charge you a dollar fifty just to add onions to your hamburger steak. Also I have noticed there barbecue sandwiches are not as big as the other places. So therefore I would say this place needs a little help to bring up to standards.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed October 9, 2019 via mobile

I had the grilled chicken plate with a side of fries and green beans. The chicken was grilled perfectly, the sides were excellent. The service was prompt and friendly even with it being a weekend. Reasonably priced for a plate full of food.

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed September 2, 2019

A friend knew I liked BBQ and he invited me to fly over to Lexington and have some BackCountry BBQ. I had the brisket that was chopped and found it to have great flavor and taste like BBQ brisket should. I found the portions size to be great and filling. There iced tea TASTES LIKE ICED TEA and not watery tea. Do not leave without there banana pudding which tasted great and they gave you plenty to taste. They are very close to the Lexington Airport which has a courtesy car for pilot/crew.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed April 4, 2019 via mobile

Just another decent bbq joint. Packed with locals at lunchtime, the place is very loud. The lighting (especially in the back room) is dim, casting an eery pallor on the patrons’ faces. The servers are friendly and work hard. The menu has some confusing verbiage, a fact my server acknowledged.
The victuals:
I’m going to start with the sweet tea. It was good, but there is not enough insulin in the world to handle the glycemic load contained in a cup of this stuff. It should carry a warming to anyone watching their blood sugar levels. So much sugar it masked the tea flavor.
The red slaw had a great flavor and didn’t have the hyperacidity that plagues so many red slaw versions.
The baked beans were excellent and were prepared using a traditional southern style recipe.
The potato salad was fair. Texas Pete helped it a lot.
The hush puppies were very good with a crisp exterior, tender interior, and just the right amount of onion.
And the main event: the coarse chopped bbq. It was good—tender and juicy and good taste, but...
you guessed it!