“Intimate Family-Style Restaurant”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Intimate Family-Style Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2011

I was in Lexington to visit family and stopped into Shoto for dinner. The staff, food and atmosphere were all wonderful and I will definitely return in the future.

1 Thank BNSkully

Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Excellent for Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2008

One warning I must add before I begin, there are two Shoto Japanese Steakhouses in Davidson County. One in Lexington on Main St. and another in Thomasville. Apparently there is a long standing feud between the two (see the sign in the Lexington Shoto) over the use of the name. I have been to both and consider this one far superior, although the Thomasville Shoto is far nicer in decor and is much larger.

Shoto is an Americanized "quick" Japanese steakhouse. No chef will spin an egg at your table, nor will you pay $27 dollars for such a show. Prices have increased recently thanks to high food and fuel costs but the meal is still far less than $10. If you like really true Japanese, Shoto may not be for you. The owners are Japanese (or at least of Asian descent) and you can always ask for a dish to be changed to your liking.

My personal preference, and I believe the most common of the dishes, is the Hibachi Chicken with mushrooms. A lunch dish is more than enough for anyone with a healthy appetite and comes with rice and sweet carrots. I highly recommend trying the chicken and cheese eggroll ($1 as of this review), while not typically found at Japanese establishments these eggrolls are made with a thin crust and filled with wonderful flavors. For folks who want a more "down-home" type flavor this simple side item will do it. The chef likes to experiment as there are always new dishes to try and unique combinations listed on their menu.

The crispy noodles they give you when you first sit down are not very good in my opinion, nor is the sauce that accompanies them. Try them, you may like them. The sweet tea is ok, I normally get it but it does vary from day to day.

The wait staff are friendly and attentive, however the restaurant is two floors (the upstairs becomes a bar at night) and at times the staff go missing for a few minutes up to 10. If you are needy, I would not recommend Shoto. I am an extremely picky person when it comes to service but I have not had truly bad service and when I have had sub-par service I rarely see that member of the wait staff again.

My biggest complaints are the small size of the bathroom (I doubt this can be changed) and the booths are on the small side. If you are a larger person I would recommend a table unless you are by yourself, the booth tables do move.

The decor is "rustic", and with typical Japanese inspired wallpaper and scenes. Set in one of the old Main St. buildings from 50-100 years ago they have done what the building will let them. Upstairs is the smoking section, and I hope soon they will go smoke free since the view of downtown (as laughable as that can be considered), the Old Courthouse, and the square" are excellent.

For Lexington, this place is a nice change of pace. With the majority of choices being barbecue, barbecue, and, um, barbecue it's nice to go to a place that is different and has a feeling of being young and hip but provides a good meal at a good price.

1 Thank jlmickel
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This place used to be good. Now it is questionable.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2008

This place used to be good. Now it is questionable.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook