“Excellent Chef”
Review of Chef Dion Sprenkle - CLOSED

Chef Dion Sprenkle
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Chef Dion Sprenkle is a unique restaurant located in Lexington, NC. It is truly a New York dining experience, with creativity infused into each dish. Chef Dion is a classically trained chef with a passion for using local ingredients in deliciously unexpected ways. The relaxed atmosphere is perfect for a quiet dinner with the family or a gala event. Yo are sure to enjoy your experience at DION. Chef DIon changes his menu each season, incorporating farm-fresh foods and creative inspiration.
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We've been here a couple of times and have never been disappointed. It's nice to be able to get such a fine meal in an out of the way place. Makes the experience much more relaxed. Last night I had the roast duck with eggplant caponata and basil-whipped mashed red bliss potatoes. The duck was cooked perfect. A previous reviewer said it was chewy. Hint, you don't eat the fat. This is a duck breast that has fat on one side. My wife had the tenderloin. Got me a taste and it was very nice. Cooked perfectly. I like it better that way than cooked as a filet (steakhouse style). Appetizers are all good, but the key lime pie is the best. I've had some good key lime at some really good seafood restaurants, but this was better. Guess we'll be going back here soon.

2  Thank hdmarett

Reviewed July 28, 2014

We rarely drive 30 minutes to try a new restaurant but we did it based on a friend's recommendation. I have to say I was underwhelmed at the overall experience. Upon arrival we were offered seats basically at the front door, which I declined. We did get a nice, but very small, booth towards the back. I had read the menu online before going to the restaurant and decided I wanted the duck. My husband had the shrimp and grits. I ordered the duck cooked medium and it came back a little rare but I didn't bother sending it back since we had already waited about 20-25 minutes. It was topped with a green concoction that was called salad....really??? I tasted it and decided to leave it. I ate the 6 pieces of the chewy duck and the sauce was ok. My husbands shrimp was good. They had no lemon for the water and didn't offer lime. For dessert I ordered the cappuccino crème brulee...I found it to be a little on the watery side as opposed to creamy but ate most of it. The service was polite, although a little slow and last but not least, they serve no alcoholic beverages since the restaurant is located in a dry county.

3  Thank KittyO897
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Chef Dion Sprenkle's restaurant was an excellent dining experience. The best bang for the buck is the four course fixed price special. My recent visit included a wonderful arugula salad, red trout as the fish entrée, lamb chops as the meat entrée, and a cheesecake desert. The food was the best. The service was efficient without being over-bearing. The facility itself was converted from a BBQ restaurant, so there are some limitations there, but there was still a most comfortable "neighborhood" feel to the place. The only negative was being located in a "dry" area, but if you are forewarned, you can remedy this by bringing your own beer and/or wine. I plan to go back; again and again!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

It has taken me a long time to write my review on Chef Dion Sprenkle’s restaurant in Lexington, NC. I am conflicted about our experience there. Service was good and we were very pleased to meet Chef Dion and hear about his culinary experiences. He is obviously a gifted chef that could work pretty much anywhere he wished. I have great admiration for him opening a restaurant in a small North Carolina town. The food was fine, not over the top but certainly more than adequate.

We began with the She Crab Soup, which I enjoyed but my husband felt was entirely too sweet. We would have loved to have had some type of bread or even crackers with our soup but when we inquired we were told they did not serve bread but we were welcome to place an order for the flat bread if we wished (we did not wish).

Our entrees included the Grilled Ahi Tuna and the Grilled Sliced Beef Tenderloin. I wish the tuna had been seared more on the outside and was rarer (as requested) on the inside. The beef tenderloin was thinly sliced and from the somewhat chewy texture was more a sirloin cut than tenderloin. All of the food needed more seasoning. Chef Dion indicated he had a new chef in the kitchen – and I wish we had been fortunate enough to have Chef Dion cooking.

Atmosphere is interesting. The dining room we were in was a large room without any ambience. We were initially seated at a table was next to the window and the late afternoon sun was literally blinding us. We found out that they didn’t have any type of shades or window coverings for the windows so we requested a table on the “dark side” of the restaurant, which was given to us.

We live quite a way from Lexington so unless we happen to find ourselves in town for another reason we probably won’t be making the one hour (round trip) trek again. If we lived closer we would probably give it another try.

2  Thank DearDona
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have dined at Dion's a number of times and each time has been a treat with a varied menu of great farm to table dishes. We have been fortunate to travel extensively and most trips are rated by how the food was more so than beautiful scenery or the actual purpose of the trip. It is a treat to have Dion's within driving distance because it compares very favorably with many fine restaurants in distant places. First let me say that we make reservations at 8:30 or later in the evening so the large customer seating is usually over. I am sure that as a result we have more personalized service and a less rushed kitchen. I consider Dion one of the most talented chefs in food preparation and presentation and his restaurant provides a touch of fine dining in a community famous for its barbeque stands. (which I also love!). I have read a few negative ratings and encourage that if things are not as expected in this restaurant or in any restaurant that problems will be corrected immediately if presented to the owner. I fully expect that an owner would rather correct or comp a meal instead of receiving a bad written review without having had the opportunity to correct the wrong. With that said I really have enjoyed Dion's skill as a chef and encourage everyone to try his restaurant. And, don't forget dessert!