“Good food, but...”

The Bistro at Childress Vineyards
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bistro at Childress Vineyards is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 127 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy 52 & Hwy 64
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The food was very good, when it finally arrived. When I go to the trouble of making a reservation for noon, I expect to be eating before 1:00. Even with reservation and empty tables, not seated for 15 mins. Placed order, saw nobody until after 1:00. Per our attendant "The kitchen was overwhelmed." Bad management. I don't care if RCR1 was in the building, attention should go to the customer first. After the long wait to eat (and a ridiculous $15 tasting fee) we didn't bother to taste the wine, but proceeded to Raffaldini and Shelton where they are customer oriented.

1  Thank MigWrkr

Reviewed September 30, 2012

In the past my husband and I have been very pleased with our visits to this Bistro but the customer service on this day was a let down. We had called and made reservations for a table with a nice view on open table on the internet. It was confirmed. We arrived a little early and this was a Sunday so the tasting room was not open yet. We asked if we could be seated earlier and they said, for us to have a seat it would be just a few more minutes. We saw many arrive and be seated before we were. When they took us in they gave us a table up against the wall while there were many tables with full views available and we only had a limited one from where they sat us. I asked if we could be moved and they told us that those tables were for the friends of the owners. These were several tables and I thought that to be strange. The two times we came before we were given nice tables with nice views. I told her we had made reservations for better and she said she would talk to her manager and get back to us. She came back later and said, We are so sorry, but we just over booked and we cannot seat you anywhere eles.

The meal we ordered was very good as always, the chef has always done very well. This was on a Sunday and they do not serve wine or open the wine tasting room till noon so it is good to know this as not to arrive too early and have to wait.. They had live music playing so we bought a bottle after our wine tasting to carry outside near the gazebo and relax and enjoy the music. The weather was perfect on this day so we also took a walk around and within the grapevines.

All in all it is a wonderful place to eat but be warned you do not always get what you call and reserve in the way of tables. They need to improve this or we will not continue to recommend this place to others as well as we have done so in the past.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a great lunch restaurant. Food, service, atmosphere - second to none! And, the wine pairings are perfect!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I've dined at the Bistro several times for lunch, the most recent of which was September 2012. I have made a reservation each time and I suggest doing so because it gets crowded on the weekends. The food is good, especially the chicken salad. I ordered a caesar salad with grilled chicken which was tasty, but no different than most salads at other restaurants. I was sad to discover that they have taken my favorite appetizer (spinach artichoke dip) off of the menu. My table tried the crab dip as an appetizer, which was delicious but cost $13 for a very small portion! On other trips to the bistro we've had excellent service, but this time our waitress rarely checked in with us. I will give her the benefit of the doubt and say that they were extremely busy and she must have had several tables. Overall, I would recommend dining at the bistro. The setting is lovely and the menu is small, but good.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Great spot for lunch or brunch, make a reservation and snag a table near the large picture windows overlooking the grounds and patio on the lower level where food is also served and where music is played on weekends. Nice menu, fair prices, great selection of wines to pair with your food selections, and the entire place just has a classy feel.