“Expectations were a little too high”
Review of 1841 Cafe

1841 Cafe
Ranked #4 of 79 Restaurants in Lenoir
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I ate here on June 13th with a group of co-workers, we were from out of town and selected this restaurant based on the reviews. I must say I was disappointed. We were seated promptly - but then I noticed folks seated after us were waited upon and served their drinks before our waitress attended to our table for the first time. I quickly informed our waitress when she did arrive - that we were there on our lunch break from a meeting and didn't have alot of time. She apologized, and took our order for drinks and meal. I don't know if it was the fact we were a party of 5 that took longer than the others who were seated after us - but they received their meals in advance of us as well. We all ordered something relatively simple - chicken salad crossaints with a side, and one ordered a bar-b-que sandwich. Two of the ladies ordered the onion rings - quickly to realize they were frozen onion rings, not freshly prepared. My chicken salad had a bitter almost vinegar taste to it. We all had to ask for refills of our drinks. Plus then there was the wait for our checks and the wait to have our change returned - and speaking of checks - we were given a small piece of paper with with hand written letters and the amount - not a cash register tape at all. So we had to presume our pricing was correct. And one of the ladies even had to ask for her debit card to be returned to her! Not sure I will return to this location for a luncheon or not if ever back in town on business.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

French fries to die for. These are the only fries I eat. Cooked crisp, just the right amount of salt, thin... perfect.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My favorite dish at Sweet T's is the nachos. Had one order with chili, another with barbecue chicken. I think they have another with pulled pork. Three of us couldn't eat it all. The entrees seem to be reasonably priced.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Has a cavernous but comfortable feel. Live music was unexpected, but the band was actually quite good.

Had an interesting experience with my dinner. Ordered the beef stew; it came out with literally just 1 cube of beef in it. Complained to the server; they were very apologetic, and overcompensated by replacing it with a bowl of beef stew that was overflowing with beef! I therefore am able to accept this as an unintentional screw-up, and the customer service response was impeccable.

We hung around for a while and ended up getting dessert. I have to say this was a highlight. I tried their eclair. It's not like any eclair I'd ever seen before - sort of a deconstructed eclair in a cup. But it was literally one of the best desserts I've ever had, anywhere! I recommend you try it.

1  Thank jays165
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Overpriced? Small portions? REALLY?....that's certainly not what we experienced! The prices are verrry reasonable, the food is excellent and the portions are huge! In addition you complain about the "noise". They advertise live music for goodness sake! I don't know what you mean about a cheap radio....but the "noise" is called a vibe... which goodness knows this town needs. Your review is so out-of-line with the others here...that it makes me wonder...just saying...

1  Thank AshevilleHaggy