“Ribs to die for”
Review of Duke's Old South BBQ - CLOSED

Duke's Old South BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Old South BBQ proudly uses Duke’s secret recipes which have a long history of being the best in the south for generations. The pit cooked, hickory flavored pulled pork is delicious and our now famous fried chicken is out of this world! Please stop by for lunch or dinner and try us out.
Virginia
“Ribs to die for”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

On our first visit, Dave recommended the ribs smoked over pecan wood - awesome - had them again next visit with the same result! Buffet for the rest with an interesting low country gravy over rice. Friendly, accommodating service. We are making this our go to bbq place in Leland - whoops, almost forgot to mention the excellent chicken and crispy hush puppies!

1 Thank jimmie1941

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Finally great local BBQ”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I'm sorry to say it took us so long to finally stop into Duke's to give it a try. The first sign that I was not going to be disappointed was the smell. The first thing I noticed when I walked in was that you could smell the smoke. Not over powering at all, in my opinion what you want to smell when entering a real BBQ restaurant. The owner was very welcoming and told us about all of the items on the buffet. You could tell he was passionate and proud about what he was producing. He also came to check on us periodically to make sure everything was fine. Honestly every item that we tried was excellent. I consider myself a BBQ snob. I have eaten at numerous restaurants on the historic NC BBQ Trail. The quality of the food we had at Duke's was on par with most and superior to some of the restaurants that we visited on the trail. Overall great service and food. We will be back.

• Visited May 2014
“First visit to the area”
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I am a firm believer that if you choose a few things and do them well it's a recipe for success.

There's nothing fancy about this place but the 10 or so items on the buffet are all excellent. Only thing I would add would be beer.

Leland, North Carolina
“Awesome food, cafeteria style”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

If you live in the Wilmington area or are traveling through Wilmington, NC, to Myrtle Beach, make sure that you get off Route 76/17 at the exit for Route 133 (heading west into Leland) to try out this BBQ place. Being locals, we had driven by Dukes many times since it had opened in Fall of 2013 but had never stopped to eat there. We finally went to Dukes on a recent weekday around 6 PM and were initially hesitant to try it out because there was only one customer inside (shortly after we got our food, several other parties arrived). Dave, one of the owners, greeted us and informed us that they had sold out of their pulled pork at lunch time. So, giving us $1 off their already modest buffet prices, we settled for the pork hash, barbecued chicken, and fried chicken. The sides consisted of black-eye peas, green beans, corn, macaroni and cheese, and hush puppies. I've never had pork hash (over white rice) which Dave explained is a Low Country dish, but it was delicious. The fried chicken was the best that I've had in a LONG time and not greasy in the slightest! My favorite side was the hush puppies--and I am usually not a fan of hush puppies! These were soft, moist, and VERY tasty. We topped the buffet off with a dessert of banana bread pudding--also delicious. We've just added Dukes to our list of favorite local eateries--make sure that you give it a try!

• Visited January 2014
NC
“Smokin' Good Food”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This looks like a regular NC barbecue place, but it is way beyond....High quality smoked meats, award-winning sauces and homemade sides. The staff was very attentive and deservingly proud. This is worth a dedicated trip--oh, I guess you could go to the beach too....

• Visited January 2014