“Very friendly staff, very nice hotel, PET OWNERS please read!!”

Best Western Plus Westgate Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Leland
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I booked this hotel b/c it was close to Wilmington and Southport, both of which I planned to visit...I booked the hotel through the 800 reservation line..I do not recommend that you call that number, book through the hotel so you can get all the facts. I must say the hotel was very clean, the king sized bed was very comfy, everything worked, very big, nice shower...The staff was very friendly. I would recommend this only to people with no pets...

PET OWNERS:
When I booked I was advised that there was an 80lb weight limit per dog, that you didn't have to keep your animals crated, and that it was $20 a day TOTAL pet fee...As I was checking in, they made me sign a pet form..The form stated that dogs must be under 40 lbs. (mine was not) That you can't leave your animals unattended. If you leave they must go with you. And that they must be crated when housekeeping comes in. (I don't use housekeeping when I take my pets). Also, the pets can't be on furniture or beds. I specifically asked those questions when I booked the room and was told they could be left and they could sleep in the bed....Anyway, after reading the "pet rules", I told the front desk that I would just find somewhere else to stay..There response was ok, but we have to charge you a night's stay...Really??? I booked a room through your corporate and everything they said was a lie, and I'm still going to have to pay??? Ridiculous. So, if you are taking a pet with you..make sure that you are planning to take it everywhere with you...The staff was very nice and agree that I could leave them, but if they barked they would have to call me to come back...So, needless to say, it ruined my trip...Not to mention when I checked out they charged me $20 per pet, per day..Fortunatly, the manager was nice enough to only charge me $20 a day...Only positive about pets, they have one of the best pet walking areas I've seen, just to bad your pets have to be under 40lbs and kept with you at all time..

So, with all the being said...The breakfast in the morning was great, the rooms were great, the service was great, the location was great, everything about it was great...except pet policy..So, if you are traveling without pets I would def. recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Choose a king size bed, plenty of room and very comfy!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 23, 2013

First-class room, large, spotlessly clean, and quiet, real quality cotton sheets, several pillows and a bolster, upscale furniture. iron and ironing board, hairdryer, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, 36" LCD, WiFi, large shower, great AC and hot water.

Great front-desk service, nice free breakfast with waffle station and fresh eggs, very good coffee. Place looks good when you pull up, too. 20 mins to Wrightsville Beach, 20 mins to Oak Island, 90 mins to Myrtle.

Best of all: DOG-FRIENDLY. My dog travelled with us, and everyone loved it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
zgooden, General Manager at Best Western Plus Westgate Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for your feedback about our property. It is greatly appreciated and will allow other travelers to see your thoughts about your stay and our amenities. Please remember us on your next vacation or business trip to the area!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

The problem started when we arrived at the hotel, When I was checking in I was asked to sign a form that said that I would not pull the sprinkler and that if I did I would be subject to a fine. Apparently there have been some prank phone calls where people were calling hotels and telling them that they had to engage the fire alarm system or the sprinklers. I've been traveling now for more than 25 years and had never heard of that, however I suppose anything is possible so I was more than willing to sign the form. The person checking me in took my credit card, swiped it on the computer, looked at the back of the card, and then handed the card back to me. There was a slight pause, he asked me for ID, I showed him my drivers license, and then for some reason he insisted that he make a scan of it. As no one has ever made a scan of my drivers license in the United States, I asked him why this was, and he proceeded to tell me that in case there were any security issues in the hotel that they would know was staying there. The interesting part is that my wife was staying with me and they didn't ask her for her ID, so apparently they were only interested in making sure that I was safe and not my wife which I found both troubling, puzzling, and offensive. Given that it was late at night, the room was already paid for, and I really didn't feel like pursuing it further with the associate, I accepted it with the idea that I would send something later on. It really didn't sit well with me. My wife and I went up to the room went to bed and proceeded to try to sleep with lumpy pillows and a refrigerator ticking all night long. We got up the next morning, I went downstairs for some breakfast, got some very cold eggs and some very chewy bacon, packed up and left the hotel. Needless to say was completely unimpressed with this place and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andy F
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed there several times now. It is nicer than other hotel options in the Wilmington region and this Best Western is well kept and has pleasant employees that are helpful and friendly. The amenities are great for the price. Pool, Jacuzzi, breakfast included, clean rooms and well kept hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Jon W
zgooden, General Manager at Best Western Plus Westgate Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

All the other hotels in the area with about the same service wanted $15 to $35 more. I was there only one night to visit with family that lived near by. The room was vey clean and the decor was nice. The king size bed was plush and very clean.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The staff is extremely helpful especially since we had multiple rooms. They were able to get us checked in quickly. The rooms are large and the beds were comfortable. The location is near restaurants making it easy to find a good place to eat.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
zgooden, General Manager at Best Western Plus Westgate Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

We are pleased you enjoyed your visit Nicole. Please remember us for any hotel needs you or your friends may need in the future!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Best Western has excellent customer service. The staff was very courteous and friendly. They were very professional. Moreover, the room and the facilities were very clean. I would definitely return to this hotel, and I highly recommend it to others. I plan to return to this area soon and I will request this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leland
Best Western Plus Coastline Inn
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Holiday Inn Express Leland-Wilmington Area
Best Western Plus Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire

Been to Best Western Plus Westgate Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!