“A great place to stay, the best Comfort Suites I have stayed in.”

Holiday Inn Express Leland-Wilmington Area
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Leland
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I travel with business quite often and stay in some of the best Starwood, Hilton and Marriott properties around the U.S. and internationally. When considering price, service and comfort, I would rate this hotel among the best I have stayed at. The Leadership, front desk, breakfast and room staff are all awesome, they go out of their way to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Book early, they fill up fast and you will get a better deal!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
crown142, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Leland-Wilmington Area, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review. I am very humbled that you would consider our hotel as one of the best ever stayed when comparing to some of the big names. Thank you for the kind words on our staff and management. They have a Can Do attitude and truly want each guest to have a great experience. Again, thank you and we hope to see you again in the near future. Barry Eagle

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Recently spent 3 nights at this hotel on a "getaway weekend" while the kids visited the grandparents. For its price range, this hotel is rather nice. Our room was exceptionally clean and everything was in good working order. The front desk staff and housekeeping staff were all friendly.

I personally found the bed comfortable and my only complaint is typical of a hotel room; the air conditioner was loud and woke me up repeatedly.

I didn't use the pool, but my husband and I used the fitness center multiple times and the equipment looked new. We chose not to go swimming because the pool is so small that you can't actually swim in it. If we'd had the kids with us, we definitely would have used it though because it was a very clean and well-kept pool.

Breakfast had quite a variety: waffles, sausage, eggs, bagels, muffins, yogurt, fruit, cereals, etc., but I must say by the 3rd morning, I was rather tired of this food and went out to eat instead. It would have been nice if they had offered something different (bacon, biscuits, flavored bagels instead of plain) while we were there.

Location was great. Only about 10 min. to downtown Wilmington and about 20 min. to Wrightsville Beach. There were several restaurants nearby (Pizzetta's was our favorite) and a Wal-Mart and two grocery stores within a mile of the hotel. I'd make reservations in the summer because the hotel was booked solid the weekend that we were there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
crown142, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Leland-Wilmington Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you so much for the great review. Our Management and Staff work extremely hard to give our guests the best experience possible. So glad you enjoyed the fitness center and thank you the comments on the cleanliness of our indoor pool. Glad you enjoyed our breakfast and the beds. Also, thank you for the great recommendations on local eateries. Hope to see you again in the near future. Barry Eagle

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Visiting family in the local area, there were really two choices in the area, the Western Plus, or this Comfort Suites. Due to a Hidden Deal on Priceline.com, we got the Comfort Suites and we were very happy with the stay.
We checked in around 2pm, and the young man at the desk was very friendly and helpful. He told us that we were assigned an Accessible Room on the 2nd Floor, and asked if that was OK with us. We said we didn’t mind at all, and he said that some guests do.
The room was perfect! Right off the elevator, it was a clean, well-equipped room with wider spaces, and a large walk-in shower.
Since we were here to visit family, we didn’t get to enjoy some of the amenities, like the indoor pool and the fitness center both on the first floor.
The lobby area is gorgeous and one side looks like a great sitting library area.
We enjoyed the continental breakfast which included make your own waffles, juice, yogurt and much more.
One warning, the roads in this hotel’s area are crazy! You can’t make a left at any of the lights, you have to make a right and continue to a left turn signal. Very confusing.
Also, you are very close to a shopping area, but that too is a confusing maze of stores and parking lots. We were searching for the Port City Java Coffee Shop, and even our GPS was confused and moments before giving up on the search we stumbled onto the small store!
When visiting the area again, we will stay here.

Room Tip: Don't shy away from an Accessible Room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mscibetta

Thank you for your great review. So glad you enjoyed your time at the hotel and the area. Our accessible rooms are the largest in the hotel so I'm glad you approved of them. Also, thank you for the nice comments on the lobby and our breakfast. We do our best to provide an expanded breakfast that will accommodate most needs. Sorry about the roads. The U-Turns seem to be new thing the DOT is utilizing. This was put in about 6 years ago and it does take some getting used to. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope you will make our hotel your choice when visiting the area again. Barry Eagle

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I am really not sure what all the hype with this hotel is about. The beds are very uncomfortable, the pillows are rolled up balls of cotton smaller than my head. The front desk lady lied to me about the pool being heated. The pool is cold and while we were there many people got in and right back out. Not a big deal but don't lie and say its heated. The staff besides that was very nice and the facility was clean. To say this hotel is excellent would be not accurate compared to the other hotels we have been to in the same price range. To me, the main reason I need a hotel is to sleep, this hotel missed the mark with that.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
crown142, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Leland-Wilmington Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. Obviously, we didn't meet your expectations and we truly apologize about that. We typically get great comments on our beds so I apologize that it didn't give you the experience you expected. We will have our management review our current mattresses to ensure they are meeting the quality we expect to provide our guests. I also apologize that you didn't like our pillows. They are what is required by our brand and we don't have any other option but we will address with Choice. We do have a heated pool but during the summer months we reduce the heat somewhat. We must have reduced it too much. I will speak to our management to ensure we are maintaining a comfortable level for everyone. Again, thank you for taking time to write the review. We can always improve on all facets of our service and amenities and appreciate your feedback. Barry Eagle

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I recently stayed in a Home2 hotel and I found myself comparing this one to that one. This is your average hotel room. The rooms are nicely decorated and the hotel looks nice. The beds are very uncomfortable. The pillows are lumpy and almost toddler sized. There was black things floating in the apple juice during breakfast. I would have appreciated this hotel more if I had not stayed at the Home2 in Jacksonville the previous night. It is still a good value.

• Stayed: June 2013

We appreciate your review although we didn't give you the WOW experience you expected. We are sorry that you had a problem with your bed. It seems that you and your travel companion who wrote a review also had the same experience. As I mentioned in their review we will speak to our management team and do a comprehensive review of our bedding to ensure it meets the expectations of our guests. We want all of our guests to have a restful and peaceful experience when staying with us so we are very disappointed that was not the case with your stay. We will also address the juice situation and try to determine what may have caused it. Again, thank you for your feedback and your attention to detail. We are always looking to improve the quality and service of the hotel so your review is taken very serious. Barry Eagle

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I've been staying at this property now every other week for about the last 1 1/2 years, depending on my route .Staff is very helpful and its exceptionally clean hotel. As a truck driver, my ONLY COMPLAINT is there is just two places walking distances, Subway and Bar/restaurant called PT'S Grill, both are almost next door.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
crown142, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Leland-Wilmington Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Thank you for your nice review on our staff and the property. We appreciate your loyalty and business. Barry Eagle

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in May, 2013 and we were very pleased with the hotel as well as all the staff we interacted with. The hotel was nicely furnished and very clean. The entire staff, the front desk personnel, the housekeeping staff and others that we had interaction with were very friendly and helpful. This hotel is located in a beautiful area and we would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
crown142, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Leland-Wilmington Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

We truly appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to review our hotel. Thank you for the great comments on the staff and the property. We hope to see you again soon. Barry Eagle

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leland
Best Western Plus Westgate Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Coastline Inn
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area
Best Western Plus Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Hampton Inn Wilmington Medical Park
Wingate by Wyndham Wilmington

Been to Holiday Inn Express Leland-Wilmington Area? Share your experiences!