“Good Visit”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Laurinburg
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good Visit”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful with directions and eating recommendations. The rooms were clean and quiet which considering the hotel was full was amazing. Although not the most modern hotel have stayed in everything was fine and worked. Mattress was soft and prefer a hard but that is personal choice. The breakfast had variety and was slightly different on the 2 days which was nice. Down side was no fresh fruit but still a good value with lots of choices.
Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Florida
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Had stayed here in the past and was quite impressed with everything. Not this time.

Apparently, not ALL the rooms are fresh and new. I stayed in one of the old ones this time. The plunger next to the toilet (the whole stay, so it wasn't like someone forgot it) really set the tone. Room was old style Holiday Inn. Vintage TV, vintage carpet, vintage hand made closet fixtures. Peeling wallpaper.

It's a perfectly adequate hotel. Staff was friendly and responsive, including a couple of special requests. Bed was comfortable. Couch was comfortable, but stained and in need of replacement. I could have lived with the 1980's TV -- I still have one of these at home -- except you could only see it from the bed. Could not rotate it sufficiently to see it from the nice little sofa/coffee table area. AC worked well. Shower pressure was good. Place, including common areas, were pretty much clean and well maintained, though ice machine was broken during whole stay (maintenance man said you had to wiggle the chute to get ice).

If I stay here again, i will absolutely ask if one of their new rooms is available.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms... it is hard to believe that the new rooms and the old rooms are in th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Stayed here June 6 and 7, 2011 on business. Room was good size, but lack of maintenance and cleaning showed. Visible dust on all surfaces not regularly touched. Toilet loose, seat discolored and broken. Unpatched holes from previous mountings of shower rods. Slightly musty. Water stains on ceiling. 26" tube TV's (seriously?). Telephone by bed obviously broken and untouched for a long time. Alarm clock not working. If you need a place to sleep cheap ($115) this is it. If you're looking for more, stay away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Florida
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton in Laurinburg several weeks earlier and was a little concerned about the bad reviews of the Holiday Inn Express posted here, but the Hampton didn't have king sized beds available during this time period. so we tried the Holiday Inn Express.

It was actually very nice. The lobby is big, clean, and comfortable. Checkin was quick and without issue.

The rooms very nice. They were bigger than the average hotel room with a separate sofa and work area, a wet bar with fridge and microwave, and big jacuzzi tubs. Air conditioning worked properly. Room was clean. Bed was soft and cozy, and there was a large assortment of pillows.

Free breakfast was good, and staff was friendly. Nothing to write home about, but tried the sausage gravy and biscuits one morning and the cinnamon rolls the next, and both were good.

The hotel loses a few points on a few issues: first, the room temperature was set to 86 degrees and the heat was going full blast upon arrival. Cooled off eventually. Second, the matting in the tub is peeling around the edges. Hate that kind of thing. Third, internet speed varied from good to snail's pace. Always worked everywhere in the room, it just got very, very slow from time to time. Fourth, there is some upgrading overdue... the TV's were old, and as noted, stuff like peeling mat in the tub go unfixed. And fifth, actually having to check out??? I haven't had to do that in America in 20 years. Just slip the bill under the door, people.

Overall, though, this was a fine hotel and a fine stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Since I travel for work, I have stayed in many Holiday Inn Express' and this is, by far, is the worst one I've ever seen. First, I reserved a nonsmoking room and when I walked into the room, there was an ashtray on the nightstand and a cigarette wrapper on the floor in the bathroom...nice. The room also had a nice stale smoke smell. Oh an I also noticed that I didn't have an alarm clock. I went down stairs and spoke with the receptionist. She said there were no more rooms left and that's fine but why didn't anyone tell me that there were no more nonsmoking rooms when I made the reservation or even when I checked in? Then, I asked for an alarm clock and she said they didn't have any. They ran out... A hotel ran out of alarm clocks... That's a first for me. She was nice enough to offer to schedule a wakeup call but I just like having a clock in the room. Finally, as I lay here writing this, there is a weird, musty, moldy smell coming from between the wall the the mattress. I tried switching beds since this room has double beds but the smell is coming from both. Gross... I can't wait to check out and never see this place again. ::shudder::

• Stayed October 2010
NYC
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I'm both a Priority Club and a Hilton FF with a whole ton of points each. I originally chose Hampton Inn partly to continue with points and partly because of prior reviews about this Holiday Inn posted here. Since I come to the area frequently for business, I decided to check this out for myself. So to compare with the Hampton In (which I also reviewed):
- public spaces appears newer and fresher. I think part of it is styling and lighting, but also the architecture of building.
- breakfast, I think, is slightly better mostly because the food is already out on a line unlike Hampton Inn's, which are prepackaged and you have to microwave yourself. Really the only difference is that the Holiday Inn staff heated it up for you already...the food quality is the same. Hampton Inn serves those yummy flavored coffee creamer tub things...but Holiday Inn seems to have more choices. Since I try to eat healthy while on the road, I buy at the supermarket so Hampton Inn keeps out disposable tableware, etc for guests. Holiday Inn: you have to bug the staff to get it for you, who keep it under lock and key.
- Rooms: you can tell this is an old hotel/motel with new Holiday Inn furnishing/styling. I think the mattresses could use some replacing, but I do like their pillows more (seem firmer). Hampton Inn water pressure, I think, is stronger...but then again maybe my Holiday Inn room is just underpowered.
- Wireless: no improvement over Hampton. At night, signals can be VERY slow but it's not every night. Very irritating but it's free. Just wish it was more reliable.
Staff is great, they pick up the front desk phone more quickly than Hampton Inn (key when receiving outside calls to your room).

Haven't experienced anything unpleasant at this hotel so far, so if you want to stay in the Holiday Inn family check this one out!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed October 29, 2009

I was unimpressed by this Holiday Inn. The hotel itself was poorly maintained and shabby, and my room was not cleaned two of the three days. In addition, my bill was not put under my door on my checkout day, and when I went to the desk to get a copy, there was no one there and it took me 20 minutes to get a copy. The location is OK, with a Smithfield's restaurant next door and the freeway next door. Overall, I would reccomend the Hampton Inn across the highway.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurinburg
Comfort Inn
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 3 in Bennettsville
Holiday Inn Express Pembroke

Been to Holiday Inn Express Laurinburg? Share your experiences!