Tripadvisor
Lake Toxaway
All reviews life changing weight loss strength training fly fishing healthy eating fitness classes chef michael week stay each guest mental health blood pressure hilton head health stand up paddle boarding high intensity rejuvenating experience new ideas spent a wonderful week
Selected filters
Reviewed January 6, 2020

What a month — I mean week — I just had at Skyterra! Not wanting to spend New Year's alone, and looking for a new (long-term) lease on life, I snagged the last open spot (of 24). I didn't know 'til I arrived on Sunday afternoon that I was the only guest of the male persuasion.

The experience is whatever you want to make it: fitness, movement, nutrition, spa, strength, hiking, or — as I did — a wellness smorgasbord of your own design. There's nothing the Skyterra staff won't accommodate — and do well.

The aforementioned staff is absolutely amazing. It's said they recruit for "humility," and it really shows. They're fully committed to making each guest's experience the best it can be.

And the part of that staff that cooks is even amazing-er. The food is incredibly good, gets better every day, and is served in surprisingly large portions. I was never hungry.

At the (optional) re-test six days in, I was thrilled to have dropped six pounds, a few inches and 2% of my body fat. (I know — it's easier for guys.)

The cottages are great tiny houses, but the weather sucked and I got a little cabin fever by the end. It would've been more fun if there'd been some other guys there to play ping-pong, foosball, tennis or pool with, but then I might not have won the Best Male award.

I didn't fully take in how much "weller" I felt afterwards 'til I got home to DC and stepped onto a familiar sidewalk, notably lighter and with a new bounce in my step. It was a great way to ring in the new decade.

Date of stay: January 2020
1  Thank dsimonsays
suecL8132RI, Owner at Skyterra Wellness Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

What a great spontaneous gift to yourself! We're glad you didn't want to spend New Year's by yourself and you shared it with us! Happy New Year and what wonderful results from your week with us! Just think about what the results will be when you stay for a month with us! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and fellow travelers. We look forward to your next visit. In health, sue

Reviewed December 18, 2019

Best thing I've ever done for myself. All around wonderful staff, food, atmosphere, and a variety of activities and groups. Staff is friendly, knowledgeable, and authentic. They are all truly passionate about the specialty areas.

Date of stay: December 2019

Hello and thank you for experiencing our program! What a wonderful gift to yourself! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Skyterra and we look forward to your return visit soon. In health, sue

Reviewed October 31, 2019

I found Skyterra on the Web for a brief stay in fall 2018, I loved but it was not enough so I returned inFebruary and kept extending my stay for four weeks. It is an amazing retreat with excellent cuisine all designed for foodies and health although any dish can be customized for vegans an diet limitations. You have complete freedom to partake in any activities and meals (they will deliver to your house). There is a wide range of choices for sessions several times a day. The accent is on mind-body health and not diet. The grounds are gorgeous (even in winter) and the houses and cabins are luxurious. It is truly a place for self-care with the help of a very professional and caring staff. I will return for a reminder that my wellness is in my control.

Date of stay: February 2019
suecL8132RI, Owner at Skyterra Wellness Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2019

Hello and thank you for reviewing your stay with us! We love having you here and sharing our program with you! You truly do deserve to feel better and take care of your wellness! We look forward to your return! In health, sue

Reviewed October 17, 2019

I went to Skyterra to work on my physical and emotional health in September of 2019 and completed a 4-week stay. I participated in the Freedom with Food program, as well as the LoseSmart program, and had an indescribable experience.
The classes offered for Freedom with Food were extremely informative and helped me to better understand my unhealthy eating choices, how to cope with emotional and compulsive eating and also how to deal with myself more kindly in certain situations. I began to understand why I turned to food in emotional times and was given the tools and coping skills to overcome those unhealthy actions going forward.
The LoseSmart program was mentally and physically challenging but was SO empowering. I surprised myself at how strong I really was underneath the insecurities. The workout classes were so well thought-out and planned that it made working out fun.
The staff is what makes Skyterra so amazing though. From the coaches to the therapists to the nutritionists and the amazing chefs and kitchen team, the Skyterra family is so well put together that they are the ones that make the adventure so memorable.
I can't wait to go back!!

Date of stay: September 2019
suecL8132RI, Owner at Skyterra Wellness Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2019

Hi, It was so wonderful to have you in our program! You really made a difference in your life and experienced so many of the wonderful tools that Skyterra offers! What a fabulous gift to yourself! I loved that you participated in our fitness games! You are such a great competitor! Freedom with Food and our LoseSmart programs are very robust and it is great that you feel empowered to continue your program at home! We look forward to seeing you here again soon! In health, sue

Reviewed October 3, 2019

The incredible staff at Skyterra has set the professional and service standards for what every wellness center should exemplify. From the content of their programming and quality of their cuisine to their accommodations, every part of my experience was tended to in order to provide a "lifetime experience".

As the planner of the retreat, Teresa and her staff made the planning of the stay, travel plans and overall planning of the experience very easy. As a group of business executives, Teresa was able to provide a broad array of programming and experiences that resulted in an incredible retreat for the entire group.

I will be back soon with my wife to enjoy another stay at Skyterra!

Date of stay: October 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
suecL8132RI, General Manager at Skyterra Wellness Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2019

Hi there Aaron, Teresa here. Usually, our co-founder, Sue Crowell, responds to these, but I wanted to respond to your review personally and thank you for your kind words. We are so grateful that your group chose Skyterra for your executive retreat. I understand you all have experienced several different wellness retreats and we appreciate your keen eye in recognizing how diligently we work to make Skyterra so special and unique. We look forward to your return visit, and to meeting your wife. In health, Teresa