“Great Mountain Getaway”

Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 16, 2013

The Wyndham is a superb place to stay if you want to be in the Lake Lure North Carolina area. Only ten minutes from the lake, 60 from Asheville, NC where there is so much to do. The townhouse style rental we had was clean, well equipped in both kitchen and bedroom. Has nice mountain and golf course views. Very nice indoor pool and hot tub, lounge facilities available to guests. Unit also has nice whirlpool tub with a view between the master BR and bath. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank markgarver
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains

Reviewed October 31, 2013

If you have not been to this area this resort is a great jumping off point. Our room was more like a townhouse where sitting area with a pull out bed on the top floor with the master bedroom and kitchen downstair. A patio with a great view was included. Lots of room to spread out. They do need some updates but very clean and staff friendly. There is alot do here from golfing to fishing at the resort. Must take the boat tour of Lake Lure. Also Asheville and Black Mountain only a 30 min drive. Lots of great shopping in those two towns. Right next to the resort is Huckleberry a great place to eat all three meals.

Room Tip: we stayed in maple ridge overlooking the golf course-alot of animals roamed around the area- i would...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank KB1718
Reviewed October 27, 2013

stayed here on our visit to chimmney rock and surrounding area. the resort is great with plenty of ammenities and nice restaurants on property and close by. golf course on property looks good and will definetly play it on my next visit. zip lines are close by and so is kayaking, fishing and horseback riding

Room Tip: the two bedroom units are great and have two decks overlloking the woods or golf courses
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 1porkchop
Reviewed October 23, 2013

So it was nice having the golf course as we looked out the front window of the villa and the lake in the back of the villa. Screen porch made it nice to sit out back. Two bedrooms up and a little porch off the one bedroom which overlook the golf course. Other bedroom had little porch looking over the lake. The Bald Mt. golf course and the Apple Valley golf course are awesome golf courses with spectacular views.

Room Tip: Two bedrooms/two bathrooms up so if you don't want to climb stairs every time you have to go bat...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mountainmama646
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very nice hotel--outside looks a bit like a fixer upper but facility was being painted. Inside a real charm--very moden decor, super clean, and very friendly staff. Nice amenities and super convenient to walking in downtown Asheville. Ample parking on site.
I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend to both family and business travelers.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
3  Thank Deborah P
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here last week with my brother and his wife. I can tell that they have been working on some updates: carpet, flat screen tv, table & chairs, king size bed in master, lighting and lamps were all nice. And the beds--very comfy! We all slept well; nice linens. The Mountain Lofts are at the northern end of the resort, and each is an individual unit. Ours was #9, and faced the golf course and the mountains. My brother had requested a water view, but those were on the other side of the drive. The units on that side also had no stairs. Our unit had 14 stairs to enter. Which isn't a lot until you are loading and unloading! Overall, we enjoyed our stay and used the fireplace, which was nice. Not a fancy place, but I would rate it C +.

The minuses: the shower in the 2nd bathroom (ours) was too low. It would be fine for kids, but I had to bend backwards to wash my hair. DVR player is hooked up to tv in loft (which is an old tv and requires climbing spiral stairs). We moved it downstairs but could not get it to play movies; front desk was no help. We finally realized they needed an hdml cord! But we got it to play after fiddling around for 1/2 hour. Dressers and vanities need updating. Master bedroom had no room for night stands; perhaps they could put in a little wall shelf? My daugher and her family spent one night with us and slept in the loft; the pull-out sofa had virtually no mattress on it and not comfortable at all. (Luckily my brother had brought a blow-up mattress.) While the flat screen tv is nice, it sits atop an armoir (probably used to hold the old tv), and caused me to get a crink in my neck, watching it from the armchair. Sofa not comfy and difficult to arise from. In order to recycle, you have to take your stuff to the registration building, a mile or so away. We noticed some dry rot on the outside of our unit while sitting outside on the balcony (which was rather small; not large enough to eat out). Kitchen also small, but not much that can be done about that.

However, speaking of the kitchen, it was very well stocked with nice dinnerware, glasses (enough wine glasses for a party!), utensils, cookware, etc.--all very nice. It's just not meant for more than 1, maybe 2 people to be in at the same time.

Amenities on the site were nice; pools, mini golf, beach, etc. We just didn't get a chance to enjoy any of it because it rained and was cool all week but for one day. On that day, we rented a pontoon boat and went out on Lake Lure for a couple of hours--very enjoyable! We are big boaters, but had never been anywhere surrounded by mountains.

We took a day trip to the Biltmore and would definitely recommend that. Had breakfast on the way at Morning Glory Cafe, which was amazing. Organic and fresh everything. My eggs were wonderful, and my s-i-l had the shrimp and grits and said they were the best she's ever had. We did the Sunday Brunch at the Lake Lure Restaurant on site of the resort; it was ok. Larkins on the Lake is very good food; my parmesan trout was excellent. Another good spot to eat is Huckleberry's, owned by an 18-year-old chef. We spent a couple days at Chimney Rock (even my brother and I had a blast gem mining). On the way to Chimney Rock is this amazing garden built on an old bridge; it is just gorgeous.

All in all, it was an enjoyable vacation. Not luxurious, but I don't think any places in these mountains would be considered luxurious. You definitely need a car, as others have mentioned. There is a grocery store, Ingles, on Rt. 9 in Lake Lure that is amazing. We got mahi mahi there for the grill that was excellent. Everything you could want, including wine (and some very decent ones at that) and beer (no liquor; you have to go to ABC liquor on the way to Chimney Rock).

Note to Wyndham: I would suggest some updates to your mountain lofts: new dressers and vanities would make a huge impact, as would new countertops in kitchen and bathrooms. Update those sofas (main one and one in the loft) so you can actually sleep on them. And some nice artwork would do wonders to make it feel more home-y.

Room Tip: Mention when booking the room, if stairs would be a problem for you.
Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank purplehatartist
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I came here for a family reunion and we checked in to the lower unit on Red Maple Drive. There are A and B units. A being the top. Luckily there was no one on top so we didn't hear the footsteps. Anyway you enter into a living area with a VCR and flat screen TV of average quality. Downstairs to the kitchen, bedroom with queen bed, bathroom with nice 2 person Jacuzzi, shower. The kitchen has higher quality knives, blender, microwave, Henkel knives, many gadgets (peeler, measuring spoons, etc.), nice dishes, silverware, stainless pots and pans, dishwasher, washer/dryer. Nice table. The deck was a little weather worn and shoes are a necessity. AC worked fine. The front desk is open only Mon-Fri during the day. Wi-fi worked OK most of the time but died for 24 hours. You need to log in many times during the day which is a pain. 40+ TV channels. The second day I noticed a roach leisurely waltzing across the floor. I killed it and tossed it in the toilet. The next day another roach slightly faster but easily dispatched into the garbage. I didn't bother to report it since I didn't want the noxious smell of roach poison making us sick plus there were "only" 2 and my wife never saw them. The 5th night was another story. 2 giant roaches moving at high speed in the bedroom which my wife saw and was quite upset. I tossed the suitcase on top of one to stop it and killed the other with her shoe I lifted up the suitcase and killed roach #4. I left the last 2 bodies on the floor for them to see. Would I ever come back here again NEVER. If you do come make sure you pack roach motels and spray.
Most of the facilities are at the Rumbling Bald Resort (pools, beach, golf, restaurants, NOT at the others). Its only a short 1 mile drive so its not a big issue. They have nice tennis courts, miniature golf, boat trips, spa, workout room with lots of machines. I do not know about the accommodations there but I suspect they might be nicer since they are at the resort that takes good care of its facilities. They group all the resorts together as Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains but it is really 3-4 separate facilities.
There are no stores nearby only an Ingles 15 mins away on winding roads. It was a large very nice and modern store with an excellent selection.

Room Tip: See if you can find one with a nice view. We saw only trees. Try and stay at the Rumbling Bald becau...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 4 in Chimney Rock
The Lodge on Lake Lure
The Lodge on Lake Lure
#1 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains? Share your experiences!