“Long weekend with friends”

Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains
GreenLeadersSilver level
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Long weekend with friends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Just spent 3 nights in a condo at Fox Run with friends. Over all not a bad place to stay. Two bed, two bath unit with a fire place. Well equipped with the exception of the kitchen. I'll come back to the kitchen. Very nice decks, furniture and entertainment systems, although the mattress in guest room needs updating. Back to the kitchen. While the basic dinner set (plates, bowls, cups, glasses and flatware) was provided along with toaster, coffee maker, blender... cook ware and utensils were lacking to the point we had to buy some in order to cook a meal. A thirty dollar investment in a non stick set of pots and pans and appropriate utensils would make the kitchen a much better place to cook. I did leave the items I bought for the next occupants. Over all, I would come back to Fox Run but I would bring my own kitchen ware.

As for the resort itself it was well equipped to entertain young and old. There were multiple swimming options (pools inside and out)and the lake with beach. A lovely 18 hole golf course, tennis, volley ball, outdoor chess and checkers, putt-putt, boats for rent and a day spa. You could spend a week and never leave the resort. But don't, as the Lake Lure area has so much offer in the way of beauty and entertainment.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank whiskmagic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Salisbury, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed in a 2-bedroom Fox Run unit with some friends. The master bedroom is on the downstairs level, with a nice deck and spacious bathroom. There was a bit of a moldy smell. The upper level had a nice guest bedroom, with a decent size kitchen area and living/dining area. Also another large deck. Both decks received a lot of use as we read books and enjoyed drinks in the evening. Even saw some deer strolling through the woods.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gene K
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

The condos are old and worn, but we found them clean. Our 1 bedroom lock out unit had two levels with the small living area and front door on the upper level. The stairs descended into a kitchen-eating area that lacked exterior windows and the only light was an overhead fluorescent light. (This was most unpleasant...especially since the walls were painted an institutional green color.) The fridge had a healthy ice maker, but the rest of the kitchen was lacking counter space and adequate storage. I am tall (5'7") but still had to get my husband to reach the drinking glasses. The dishwasher and laundry worked well. The bedroom had a sliding door to the deck which over looked the 7th green. The air conditioning worked well. The bed was comfortable and there was a HUGE 2 person spa tub which had an exterior window and a window to the kitchen area. Obviously the interior window to the kitchen was an attempt to provide some natural light for the kitchen, but it was more bizarre than functional. We are Wyndham owners and used "Last Call" to secure this unit. Because we paid less than $50.00 a night for 7 nights, we were satisfied, but we would NEVER pay more or use our club points to secure this unit. On the day we left the maid showed us the other half of our lock out unit. It was attractive and nicely furnished with a fireplace a a floor plan that made sense. There was NO INTERNET access in the units. The girls in the main office were very helpful. We purchased our Biltmore tickets for a significantly reduced price from the resort !!

Room Tip: Do not select the lock out unit. How to tell the difference on line? If your unit has a fireplace it...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CelticRainbow
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

My family spent 1 week at the Fox Den location. The place was very clean, but what I like most was that everyone we dealt with was extremely pleasant and willing to assist in any way. From the guard gate attendant, to the ladies working in the on site restaurant at the golf club, there were plenty of smiles from them to go around! AND, when we got home to find out our son forgot his cell phone in the room, they MAILED it to us at no charge!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank sbp0401
Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

Recently I met my brother and his adult daughter at this resort for some family time. My brother had won in a charity auction a weeks stay in one of the condos on the golf course. We had both sides of the condo which meant we had two beds/baths, and two living and kitchen areas. Lots of room to spread out and feel right at home. Though we didn't golf, we did enjoy watching others from our decks. We used this condo as a jumping off spot for all our day trips. Asheville is close by for shopping and the Biltmore Estate. Hendersonville is also close by with a beautiful historic downtown for excellent dining options. Chimney Rock is also close by and is a must see. There are many good restaurants in the area including 3 right on the resort property (which we enjoyed very much). We rented a pontoon right at the resort for a wonderful afternoon of "cruising" Lake Lure. As for the condo itself, it could use a little updating (kind of an 80's feel) at least in our condo, but everything was in proper working order and was clean and comfortable.

I don't know about other places in the area, nor do I know how much the condo was for the week, but as far as amenities and things to do on and off the resort, this is a fine choice for an extended stay in the Lake Lure area.

Room Tip: Typical condo side by side units. From what I saw there was not a bad one in the bunch. Lovely set...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Newport, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Spent a week here via timeshare exchange in a One bedroom condo in . Lets just say it was compact-with probably the smallest kitchen I have ever been in. While it had new living room furniture which was comfortable and was clean, the units are quite old. The deck is nice, with a view of the golf course, but not much view of the birds or wildlife I would rather see. The bed is a queen-no kings anywhere in this resort, and comfortable enough, the bathroom a bit dated and tight, but okay. A very small washer and dryer functioned well. I do often cook meals when on vacation, and this unit made it a huge challenge. The tiny galley kitchen was just wide enough to allow one person, with an old wall phone sticking out into the path that we probably knocked loose daily. There was one decent pot-ONE. The others were so small as to only be able to boil eggs or make a small vegetable. Cooking spaghetti was both funny and annoying-once I got the sauce going in the dutch oven, I found the only was to cook pasta at the same time was to use a small pot and make 2 batches of pasta, or do as I did and transfer the sauce to a glass bowl, and reuse the dutch oven to boil the pasta-c'mon people-this is ridiculous! The cabinet contained really nice dishes with deep bowls and cups, but exactly 3 plates, 3 bowls, 3-4 dessert plates and 4 coffee cups, so dishes had to be washed every night if you planned to make breakfast the next day. Is it really that hard to put a full service of china and cutlery in every unit? They happily tell you not to bother to strip the beds or wash the dishes when you leave, as "this is your vacation!", but heck-I've already washed them every day, what's one more? Can someone please please put a decent timeshare in Asheville?

Room Tip: beg for a 2 bedroom
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank pojismom
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed here almost two years ago. Great place in North Carolina Mountains. Close to Chimney Rock, and Asheville, NC. There was no sales pitch and no pressure to buy anything. The sauna and hot tub and indoor pool were great. The exercise room was good and they had computers avaliable for any guest to use as well in the building where the pool and other ammenities are located. The only thing I did not like was that I was not on the Lake Lure and there was no view of it from the room. Trees were behind the buiding and there was not a good view of anything.

They have facilities for weddings beside Lake Lure at Rumbling Bald Resort, which is on the same property.

The people in Asheville were very accomadating to help me find my way around. Really enjoyed the Grayline Tour. Had two days touring and since I was alone, they offered a third day free. Learned a lot as the tour guides were driving from one place to another. You can hop on and off and see the sights you are interested in.

Room Tip: I went for a weeks vacation and at the last minute, ended up going alone. The staff at the resort we...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
Willowbrook Inn
Willowbrook Inn
#1 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains? Share your experiences!