TripAdvisor
Lake Lure
Post
Inbox
Search
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 8, 2016

Yes, it is an older "motor lodge type" place but no where else can you enjoy the beautiful mountain view, (ON the river with falls and rocks), drink low-to-moderately priced drinks and eat from a decent menu that has delicious, eclectic choices? Did I mention they LOVE animals?

We stayed over the New Year weekend and had a ball. The staff are always friendly and helpful. They try their very best to make everything perfect for your stay. I can't wait to come back for the spring/summer when everything is warm and green!

Thanks to you- Renee', Marcia, Dawn, Rena, Kristen, Charidy, Lynn and Emory - for making our time with you, "a time to remember!" We will see you before Memorial Day! Sorry if I missed your name, the whole staff rocked!

Room tip: To get good wifi - stay in a room near the office.
Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Charleefox
Reviewed January 7, 2016 via mobile

If my review were based solely on the staff, it would be a 5. Unfortunately the facility is in dire need of attention...owners, you are aware of this; I cannot imagine the number of complaints your staff deal with while they care for and promote your business.

I'll start with the pros:

1. Location is great, right below Chimney Rock. Broad River is also within view.
2. It's in Lake Lure which is a lovely town
3. Staff were friendly and generous!
4. Tiki Bar has decent prices and yummy fried snacks (Renee = awesome!)
5. Pool was clean, though it was too cold to swim in January
6. HVAC unit was new
7. Hot water was plentiful
8. Sincerely, kind and attentive staff

Cons:
1. Trying to be kind...antiquated/ugly decor, cheap repair jobs (ceiling was covered with soffit material) paper towels were crammed into ceiling corners to fill gaps from poor workmanship
2. No hangers
3. Outlets were inconveniently located, none by the beds and none close enough to a mirror (made it difficult to use a flat iron) and outlets were loose, plugs fall out easily
4. No stands for luggage
5. Thin walls, a bit noisy if you have loud neighbors
6. Obvious need for major overhaul everywhere (though there were workers building a new deck...this could be the beginning)
7. Some rooms have plug in space heaters
8. Complimentary coffee was icky-weak
9. Old mattresses wreak havoc on back and hips
10. Soap only, no conditioner, shampoo or lotion
11. Pillows...old
12. Big gaps between door and door frame, one can see daylight.

This place has so much potential

Date of stay: January 2016
Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank OHhorses
Reviewed October 11, 2015

We love this little quiet place. Yes it's old, a vintage motor lodge. Updated, not restored. Doesn't matter, you know what you're getting. Prices are reasonable, staff is great - very accommodating. Small outdoor pool is always clean and inviting. The riverside view is relaxing and the tiki bar is an experience we love repeating.

Room tip: Larger ones are better.
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank AwesomeYou
Reviewed August 31, 2015 via mobile

I never take the trouble to write reviews, however this place was such a joke, I think others should be fore warned.
The first thing I see when I pull up to check in is someone who is clearly a meth head waiting for her drug dealer sitting front and center- (should have been my first clue..) the website advertised riverfront rooms with jacuzzi options. There is not even a jacuzzi on the grounds, I guess they meant the dilapidated tub with black mold, and remnants of grime from the previous guests. Riverfront view meant a view of the dumpster, as well as the stench. The river is just a short walk however, but it was advertised in a way that made sound as if it could be viewed from the room. The carpets were sticky, didn't want to walk barefoot on the carpet. The room said 100$ charge for smoking, yet the room smelled of smoke, and had several burn marks in the carpet, as well as on the night stand. This place is a dump, and way over priced, 135$ a night?? I've stayed in Marriotts for the same price. Unless you're a biker, or a drunk avoid this place.
To top it off my husband and I decide to hit up the little bar and grill where I was greeted rudely by the waitress, for simply asking what she has on the menu. Usually the waitress will hand you a menu or tell you what drinks they have, but she responded by saying, well what do you think we have? Like I'm stupid. I ask her if she has blue moon beer, she responds no, we don't have that, or shock top. So I guess it wasn't that dumb of me to ask what was on the menu afterall. We hung out for 2 hours and never got any more service or even so much as a check in from the waitress. I was planning to actually spend a few dollars there, and order food, but she missed out on any chance of making that place more money or a tip. I just want to know how I could possibly provoke this woman for asking what was on the menu? Please don't waste you're time or money at this excuse for a business. I really don't get how that place exists without even the fundamentals in place. Pathetic.

Date of stay: August 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
7  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed August 12, 2015 via mobile

Spent a great couple days here. Older hotel, but our room was clean. Tiki bar has karaoke a lot, with a few local regulars that were pretty good. Cornhole, GREAT river access for wading and swimming. Really nice pool, and good pricing. Right between Lake Lure and scenic Chimney Rock.

Date of stay: August 2015