“Didn't stay for dinner.”
Review of Huckleberry's - CLOSED

Huckleberry's
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The History of Huckleberry's Lake Lure In the early mornings of high school, you could find Michaila in the kitchen at Huckleberry's Lake Lure stirring up all kinds of "goodies." In April 2012, she began serving a full breakfast and lunch menu six days a week. By May 2013, Michaila had hired an Executive Chef, Jim Camillo, to join her in bringing you the restaurant's fine international cuisine. She also expanded to seven days a week in the Lake Lure Season. In December 2014, she opened another location in Tryon, NC, "Huckleberry's Tryon." The Tryon facility took off so fast and furious, that in May 2015, Chef Jim and Michaila closed their Lake Lure location and moved to Tryon full time.
Reviewed June 23, 2014

We like to have a glass of wine with dinner. Aside from not serving any, it felt like we were walking into Grandma's. Though there were several tables filled, it was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. We read the menu and left.

3  Thank AlbertAnsey
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Okay,
first review ever, that I do not know how to respond to.
So I am guessing, I got points off for not serving wine??? But that's a guess.
Like walking into grandma house,,,,Again not sure what that means, when previous guests wrote that it was good, but maybe this person did not have good grandma house experiances???
Quite as a pin drop, again no clue,,,we are casual, romantic, country establishment, not a nite club, applebees, fatz or a beach front club, so again no clue if that was good or bad, that our place is quiet.

Overall they did say they were looking for a wine with dinner, so that is the only hard comment I have to go by, that we are just a BYOB establishment.
I am going to assume they were looking for a bar/casual fast food establishment like a chain theme or beachfront establishment, and I apologize we were not a match for them this night.
Maybe when they are looking for some dim lighting, casual romantic, homey feel they will return with their own bottle of wine, (which saves $$$$$$$) and dine with us.

Sorry, folks I have no answers here.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

Service and venue was great!! I recommend everyone coming and sharing a meal here!! Ms.Kathy H. was our hostess and she was extremely kind!

1  Thank Diane H
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Good Morning
Thank you for the encouraging words. Kathy H is wonderful, and a great addition
to our team. Please join us again

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Tried this place after reading the almost all glowing reviews. The positive reviews may have something to do with the wait staff --- our waitress was very prompt, attentive and helpful but she made a production of giving us their printed card which asked for a review on FB or TA; Her name was Kathy H. and she did not a good job.
The food on the other hand was average, the setting was low budget and the value was probably a 6 on 1 to 10.
We had a burger -- which was highly recommended by the Lake Lure visitor's center staff -- and a Philly style steak sandwich.
The burger was basically bland -- appeared to have been fried on a griddle not an open flame or gas grill. The color was sort of gray -- no griddle crunch -- and a little dry. The bun appearred to be home made but was too small and cut at a wierd angle. The fries were good -- appearred to have been fried in some type of batter.
The Philly steak had very tender and moist steak but the sandwich suffered with heavy grease from the onions and very sweek peppers. Nice melt on the cheese. The macaroni salad side was also bland and slightly dry.
They serve soda's in a can -- don't know if you could get a refill -- we didn't ask. The above 2 lunches were $22. before tip.

Go to Larkins on the Lake instead.

2  Thank Critic48
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Critic 48
Great to hear you enjoyed Kathy's service, seems she was at your table often. Did you tell her your concerns, or disappointment, because she is awesome and knows to get management tableside.
Our burger buns are homemade, so yes sometimes, they are not perfect round like a store bought production one, I apologize if yours did not fit your round burger. We try to cook our foods with what we call middle spice. Not a lot, not a little. I am sorry that we did not season to your taste, we just try the middle of the road.
Our drinks are in a can, with unlimited refills. We are located in a small old farmhouse and space is tight, we just do not have the space for a bag in box beverage system. Drinks are 1.75 per drink with unlimited refills
Two drinks, a burger 8.25 and a philly 8.25 with NC tax would be about 22. so you are correct there. Our burgers are homemade and are 6oz, our philly steaks are 6oz as well and each lunch entrée comes with one side item.
I do apologize for our down fall in not meeting your likings, but I can not do much at this point for you to be able to taste our normally good food, so, next time please bring the matter to our attention while you are dining, we will be glad to recook your meal, re spice, or give you some other type of compensation. If you phone the restaurant, I will be happy to refund your card.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We met a couple who lived on the Mountain who told us to be sure and try Huckleberry's. So, we went one night. I ordered prime rib, which was overcooked, dry with no au jus, and cold. The food was overpriced for the type of restaurant that it portrays.

2  Thank jnsn502

goodmorning,
Oh this is terrible, I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal. Chef Jim's Prime Rib, is normally very good. Our dinner prices range from 13.95 to 24.95 and all entrees come with a salad choice and house bread.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I were looking forward to a meal here after reading all the positive reviews. Maybe they were having an off night, but the whole experience was incredibly disappointing. The best part of our meal was that we were able to bring our own wine. Our server, though friendly, was overwhelmed with tables. She was the only server there for most of the time. I ordered the shrimp & grits, and my husband ordered the blackened chicken and shrimp carbonara. The server forgot to bring us our salads, but she did comp us a dessert to go to make up for it. Sadly the salads were the best looking thing we saw come out of the kitchen. My shrimp & grits consisted of what looked like unseasoned instant grits and overcooked shrimp. My husband's dish also had the overcooked shrimp. The blacken chicken appeared to be some chicken strips with cajun seasoning sauteed in a pan. Folks at a table near us raved about the food. I wish we had ordered whatever they got.

The ambiance left a lot to be desired. We expected a more polished setting given the upscale dinner menu and price. Also there was no music playing in the dinning room, and country music blasting from the kitchen.

2  Thank Kathryn D
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Kathryn
I am sorry to hear your experience with us was negative. And I am double sorry, that you did not bring your dismay to my attention, either Chef Jim or I would of been table side with you. Althou it sounded like the ladies did make a compensation for the salad mix up with a complimentary dessert.
Shrimp and Grits is one of our most positive review items, I apologize for it not being to your desire.
In reading your other reviews left, it overall did not seem you enjoyed Lake Lure and what we or others have to offer, I am saddened to hear this. Lake Lure facilities as well as us, normally are sound and satisfying. We have great places to stay, things to do, and tasty places to eat. I do hope you both return to the area, and give our town and us a second chance.
I would enjoy meeting you and seeing how I may better serve you next time.