“Creative menu & excellent food”
Review of Huckleberry's - CLOSED

Huckleberry's
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The History of Huckleberry's Lake Lure In the early mornings of high school, you could find Michaila in the kitchen at Huckleberry's Lake Lure stirring up all kinds of "goodies." In April 2012, she began serving a full breakfast and lunch menu six days a week. By May 2013, Michaila had hired an Executive Chef, Jim Camillo, to join her in bringing you the restaurant's fine international cuisine. She also expanded to seven days a week in the Lake Lure Season. In December 2014, she opened another location in Tryon, NC, "Huckleberry's Tryon." The Tryon facility took off so fast and furious, that in May 2015, Chef Jim and Michaila closed their Lake Lure location and moved to Tryon full time.
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We were in town for a couple of days and stopped in first for lunch. When I saw pumpkin stuffed French toast I knew I had to give that a try the next morning for breakfast. Both of the meals we had here were excellent & we'll definitely be back next time in lake lure area!

Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Good evening,
We appreciate your business. Thank you for coming in for both breakfast and lunch.
Our menu changes often, so follow us on facebook or our website, for new menus.
Enjoy your holiday season, See you when you return in 2014

Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I spent last week at the Wyndham Fairfield Mountains in Lake Lure. During the Meet and Greet on Monday morning, Michelle from Wyndham urged everyone to vist Huckleberry's. We had lunch there on Wednesday and were so pleased to see a quaint, beautifully decorated restaurant just a short distance from our condo. Our waitress, Debbie, explained the menu, offered her suggestions, and also gave us the dinner menu to look at, advising us about the BYOB offer of no corkage or pouring fee. For lunch, I had the turkey avocado club and potato salad. The turkey was NOT deli meat, but freshly sliced turkey breast. The avocado was also fresh and the bacon crisp. My husband had the fried green tomato BLT and potato salad. His sandwich was equally as good as mine, and we both appreciated the homemade potato salad. We went back on Thursday and made reservations for dinner on Friday. When we arrived at 7:00pm, the restaurant was mostly full and our table was waiting. Debbie was again there to take care of us, bringing wine glasses, ice water and the dinner menu. So many choices......my husband decided on the rainbow trout and I chose the meatloaf. We both had a mixture of roasted sweet and white potatoes and a wonderful vegetable medley. The rolls were soft and warm, again homemade and served with butter. My meatloaf was so good, wrapped in bacon, and covered with a mushroom demi glaze, and piping hot! My husband loved the trout and we both would have licked our plates if we weren't in a public place. We are already making plans to return to Lake Lure next year at this time and cannot wait to see what the next year will bring to Huckleberry's!

Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear our Ohio friends. If we remember correct you even got your same favorite, cozy, table back, by the field stone fireplace for dinner and had a nice private dinner. Yes, the restaurant was busy that night, and thanks for mentioning to our future guests that reservations do help us out a lot and minimizes your waiting time to be seated. Debbie, Chef Jim, Jackie, and all of my staff are amazing, they do a great job, day in and day out on their long shifts. I would not be where I am today, without a great team and support staff as them.
Looking forward to your return visit next year, and yes you will see changes at Huckleberry's for next summer. We have hinted to a few of them, but we still have some more in our back packet. Please stop back and experience them all in the summer of 2014.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Dinner for four with each person selecting a different dish. All of them were excellent! Fried green tomatoes for an appetizer were wonderful!! Highly recommend this restaurant! Debbie, our waitress, was the best! Chef Jim did an awesome job, even came to the table to visit! Just can't say enough good things about this place! Going back for breakfast in the morning.

Dear Ladies, thank you four for joining us for both meals. We wish you the best antique searching in the Tryon/Landrum area and can not wait till you return again. Enjoy those Huckleberry T shirts you purchased and our homemade apple butter salad dressing. They both make excellent Christmas gifts. It was a real honor to serve you all and I do hope you return to the Lake Lure Area again. Be safe and enjoy your holiday season.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

From the reviews, it sounds like breakfast and lunch are the best meal here. It is a very cute, quaint, little house, with the old fireplaces and polished wood floors a testament to the original building. We had dinner, and the entrees were very good. After a week of local trout and steak dishes, we had the meat loaf, as the preparation sounded interesting. Something we rarely eat. It was very good meat loaf. I could see the chunks and bits of vegetables in the mix, and the texture added to the flavors. The glaze and bacon on the outside really kicked it up a notch. The meal started with an excellent salad of field greens, sugared walnuts, blue cheese and slices of fresh apples. It was very good. The young chef has a gourmet touch, and the good food education shines through. My husband had the tomato basil soup, one of our favorites. As it was our last night in the mountains, we really wanted a nice dessert. They had a very small selection left unfortunately. They said they got wiped out at lunch. Coming into weekend dining, this was kind of sad. I got a cup cake, which was basically dry and tasteless. Oh well. The big loser was the coffee. In this day and age of fabulous coffee at even McDonalds, you would think this would be a no-brainer. WE LOVE COFFEE! If this is you... order tea! What came in a clear mug, was so thin and transparent, it looked like diluted herb tea. And it had no taste at all. I did mention this to the waitress, and she said she put one spoonful in the coffee maker, and that is how it comes out. Not a good response. Someone must have missed Barrista class that day. I would definitely come back here to dine when returning to our mountain place. Hopefully the coffee recipe will be tweaked.

Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Classy Diner-
Nice to hear you enjoyed your dinner with us. Chef Jim is a great Chef and our breakfast/lunch cook is amazing, please stop back for breakfast one morning.
Yes our bakery items have been getting hit very heavy this past season and we are having a hard time keeping up with our demand. I apoligize for this, We are trying each day to correct this problem. We have ads currently posted for more bakers and a pastry chef to add to our production team, but no new hires as of today.
As for your coffee, Our head waitress, Debbie was trying to explain to you that it is one level 3/4 cup measure scoop that we put into each and every filter. So all of our batches are of the same consistancy. I am sorry that you did not like enjoy our coffee, and perfer yours more stronger. We rarely get negative comments on our coffee, but everyone has a differant taste bud.
At Huckleberry's we only serve plain coffee on purpose. We are all local residence here and we support all local business owners in our area. On the same street as us, just up one mile is a awesome coffee shop, serving many many variations of coffees and all drinks of that nature (Trip advisor does not allow us to mention names) The head coffee maker there is Julie and she is awesome, We have a sign next to our coffee station, recommending her and all her offerings. If you are looking for a strong, black, espresso type drink, she is where you need to be.
Untill then, have a safe trip and please try Julie's coffee shop out.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Our group of 5 couples had every meal at your restaurant, quality / price / atmosphere / service all were so excellent. Our crowd is boisterous to say the least , Debbie, served us with an excellent touch ,making us feel so welcome and enjoyed as much as we enjoyed them. The food
OMG and at some point someone in our group tried most of the menu and there are no bad choices. Breakfast and Dinner. Prime Rib was my personel favorite. I can't say enough about how much we enjoyed. Make sure you give it a try when in the area. AND as a side note LOVE THE BROWN BAGGING which brought us in at the beginning, Service and Food kept us coming.
Michaila the Owner so young and yet so wonderful , her mom right there with her.You gotta go try it out and see for yourself !!! Thank you "Sue". We will return for sure.

Goodmorning, our Shelby Group.
So glad you all made it home safe, and looking forward to your next visit.
It is great to hear that our BYOB offering is appealing to you all and helps you and all our customers save some money, while dining out.
We sincerely enjoy your patronage and support of our business and just love the new freinds we have met thru you all.
See you before the end of 2013