“Great Find!”
Review of Huckleberry's - CLOSED

Huckleberry's
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The History of Huckleberry's Lake Lure In the early mornings of high school, you could find Michaila in the kitchen at Huckleberry's Lake Lure stirring up all kinds of "goodies." In April 2012, she began serving a full breakfast and lunch menu six days a week. By May 2013, Michaila had hired an Executive Chef, Jim Camillo, to join her in bringing you the restaurant's fine international cuisine. She also expanded to seven days a week in the Lake Lure Season. In December 2014, she opened another location in Tryon, NC, "Huckleberry's Tryon." The Tryon facility took off so fast and furious, that in May 2015, Chef Jim and Michaila closed their Lake Lure location and moved to Tryon full time.
Greensboro, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Find!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Terrific little place tucked next to Rumbling Bald Resort. We had a wonderful dinner here, and returned for breakfast another day.
Pretty neat story - the owner and head chef is only 18 - and well on her way to big things in the culinary world. Huckleberry's has great locally sourced menus, a terrific setting and friendly staff. A must visit in Lake Lure, NC!

PS - it's currently BYOB, with no corkage fees.

Visited August 2013
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Hello and thank you so much for the nice review.
Glad to hear that you dined with us on two seperate occasions, and enjoyed both of them.
We appreciate you taking time out of your day to write a review, and help us get the postive word out to others.
Have a safe trip home.

Vero Beach, FL
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We visited last week while on vacation. After reading the reviews, we expected outstanding food and stellar service. Unfortunately that was not the case. It took over 45 minutes for our lunch to be served after placing the order. The food was so-so. Our waiter never bothered to check on us even though the restaurant was very small. We had to constantly seek him out to refill water glasses and to provide extra napkins. The reason for the extra napkins was because the tablecloths are actually vinyl and the water glasses are glasses without stems. They sweat all over the vinyl and the water must constantly be wiped up. You would think they would change glasses or tablecloths rather than have tables full of sitting water. I can say I tried it, but I won't be back a second time

2 Thank 1veroite
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Goodmorning,
This is the exact reason why I love Trip Advisor! Reviews and comments like this, help me see the customers viewpoints, and help us improve.
As for this sweating glasses problem the review writes about. It is so true, We are in the Hot, Humid Dog Days of summer, and our glasses that contain ice, sweat and sweat. We have both fabric and vinyl tablecloths, and we have the sweating issues on the both styles of table cloths, on this hot summer days. And we are so thankfull that this summer (unlike last when we only served on disposable wear) that we have real glass glasses, they are just the basic standard glasses that you would have at home, and they seem to sweat worse then the styrofoam ones of last summer.
I think we may just have to default to using those cardboard coasters under our glasses in the dog days of summer, to assist in water absorbation. I am just not a fan of those, feels like I am in a bar, and not a small, quaint bistro, that we have. But it is what it is, and this customer is correct, we must correct this issue. So we will try those coasters for a bit,,,,

Next I did some research on the reviewers comment about terrible service. I can come up with nothing. The writer did not state if it was busy, I asked all my staff if they remember any table having to wait that long, and they all replied no, On all days, but Monday (my day off) and some Tuesday we always have other staff around the front of the restaurant, so I am going to assume this diner came on last Monday or Tuesday, cause even I myself do not remember a long wait for any customer between last Wednesday morning and today, (no day off in that time frame)
So seeing how no one is giving me any information on this terrible service, as if it was to a special cooking order, a busy time at lunch or what may I have caused the delay in food.
I must default and just apoligize and say it was a bad day for us and our front of house, level of service. It is not the service, by any means that we portray or provide, but we are all humans, and do have off days, but is still no reason why you would have to track us down, we have a open floor plan and can see all tables at all times. Therefore, I do so apoligize that we did not meet your expectations, and I can offer no explanation or reason, just we were wrong on this day and again the writer is correct did a terrible job on this table.
I am so sorry for your experiance and my staff and I do work hard daily, to provide, a comfortable, pleasant dining experiance in a timely manner, and always with a smile. So please accept our deepest apology
Chantilly, Virginia
“Interesting History!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This restaurant is owned and operated by an 18 year old Chef! The food was very, very good! And Christine, our waitress was enjoyable. Atmosphere is small, warm & cozy - like eating at your neighbors.

Visited August 2013
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Good morning,
I appreciate your brief, pleasant and direct review. I am glad we were able to meet all your dining needs, while keeping our local, comfortable at home feel.
I do hope you return to the Lake Lure area, and come visit us again. The area has so much to offer like our Dirty Dancing Festival, Car Shows, and Sporting Events.
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Our new favorite place In Lake Lure”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I live in Lake Lure part-time and have dined at all the restaurants in the area. My family has enjoyed the fresh baked goods from Huckleberry's on many occasions. We were pleased to see that they are now open for dinner. We dined on a Saturday night with our 13yr old niece. We had a reservation and were seated within 10 minutes of arrival. They were very busy when we arrived and all the tables were full. We brought a bottle of wine to enjoy and were immediately provided a wine opener and a bucket of ice. There is no serving fee for the wine, which is great!! Our niece ordered the Lobster Mac and cheese which was to die for!! We couldn't keep our forks out of it!!! I had the Mediterranean Shrimp sauté and it was fantastic!! Very light and loaded with fresh vegetables. My husband had the Queen cut prime rib and it was cooked exactly to his liking!!! The house salad is wonderful. Our server was Debbie and she is a delight!!! The staff is so friendly and attentive, it's like having dinner with friends!!

We have found our new favorite place in lake lure!!!

1 Thank Andrea C
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Good evening,
Thank you for finding us, and giving us a whirl. Your niece was just precious and so polite, we can not wait to see you all back again. Yes, Debbie is just one of our three new great servers, but the table you sat at, against the fieldstone fireplace with the poppy picture, is one of her favorite tables in the house. I appreciate you noting she had a job well done.
I also hope you enjoyed your oatmeal brie that evening as a appetizer, but again pleased to hear your entrees where terrific.
When you return in the future, please remember to make reservations as you did, that evening. That really helps us. We are finding dinners sell out quickly, good for us, but bad for our customers. I have been mentioning in my last few trip advisor responses of all the issues I am working on, like maybe opening earlier on Sunday, being ready right at 7am on Mondays, continual wait staff training and so forth, but seating is one of the biggest challenges at the moment. I am working on some creative ideas to increase seating, but until then we are just doing our best, by trying to encourage reservations and being able to time manage the dining room more effect, in order to serve more people.
Looking forward to the next time your in, and enjoy your family time with your guest.
Vero Beach
“A very nice place to have a good country dinner”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Gatormom and I have been coming to the area from Florida for many years so we were very happy to see a new place to get a nice dinner. We both liked the homey feel as this place was a home and now seats diners at their tables. We had reservations and arrived right after some that did not have reservations were being seated and served. Our waitress was under a bit of stress owing to the unexpected guests but she handled it well.

We brought a very nice bottle of burgundy for the meal and were brought glasses for the wine...a very nice feature and one we will use in the future. Or meals were very good. I had the pork chop; a little thin for me and gatormom had a very nice piece of stuffed chicken.

All in all, I would recommend this place for a dinner. We almost stopped on the way back to Florida for breakfast but decided that the time would be better spent driving.

We will have dinner here on a future visit to Rumbling Bald next summer. Good luck young lady; you are definitely on the right track with your establishment.

Dear Gator Dad-
Glad to hear you enjoy the Lake Lure area and return yearly.
Looking forward to seeing you next year.
I appreciate all your pleasant comments and compliments. I am just beginning out, and try new things and ways each day. I agree with you, those pork chops were thin that night, we did thicker ones when we first started that item a few weeks ago, and they did not do well, I found the insides were too rare, and the chocolate and nuts on the outside, cooked more then my liking, so I went with a thinner one that night. This seems to work better for culinary purposes. But in reviewing things after your comment and speaking with one other lady, I am pondering the thought of going to two chops, but in that thinner range for the portion size.
I feel that would give you a nice portion size to meet someones appetite, and a good value for the price.
Thank you again, for helping me figure out this pork chop issue, the chop has been a nice addition to the menu, just needs fine tuning these past weeks, and I belive I have it now, thanks to you and all my other wonderfull customers, who support me with feedback.

See you next year...Till then be happy and healthy.