“Go there for the history!”

The 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Paris
“Go there for the history!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed in the 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa in May 2012. The location of the hotel is perfect right in front of the lake. The main building where the restaurant is located is really beautiful.

We had the motel rooms behind the main building. These are definetly less attractive than the main building. Rooms are a bit runned down. Bed is old not in particular good shape but it is allright for 1 night. Free wifi in the room.

We were also in the restaurant for dinner which was quite nice. Dishes are not very expensive (around 20USD), wine list is interesting as well. It was very nice to dine on the terrasse with a view on the lake. The people at the reception and at the restaurant were very nice and friendly.

Overall, you should really go in this hotel for what it represents in terms of history not really for the rooms which are a bit outdated.

By the way, there are some pictures of Dirty Dancing in the room to remind you why lots of people come here also! For the die hard fans of Dirty dancing, you should go while it is still possible to the real stairs where Baby was carrying her watermelon! just PM me if you want details of the location! (hotel was not able to provide such info!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank florent1980

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Pet friendly which was great, friendly staff, nice cozy room, very quiet for a historic hotel. Totally clean and the grounds were beautiful. Rates were very reasonable. Directly in front of the beach, great location. Will be going back very soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank trave2some
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We went to Lake Lure Inn and Spa on Friday, July 20, 2012. We arrived at about 6 pm and the restaurant was empty, but it still took the staff 15 minutes to seat our party of 7. We had 4 adults and 3 children. When we were seated I asked the hostess if they had kid menus, she answered "Well,no, but we can make them something - either chicken fingers or mac and cheese I think." Then the waitress came over and handed us our regular menus, I asked her also "No children's menus right?" She said Yes, we do, but they aren't printed. She proceeded to rattle off 5 or 6 dishes for the children, none of which was mac and cheese. Now none of that was a big deal it is understandable that some restaurants are just not kid friendly...at least they had a high chair for our two year old)...the big deal starts now: first, the waitress set down a glass of chocolate milk in front of the two year old...no lid on the glass, which again no big deal - but why would you set it down in front of a toddler?!? He promptly reached right out and knocked it over! Second, we ordered the kids meals and the appetizers for the adults... the kids meals came - two chicken fingers and one grilled cheese - all of which were good. The appetizers were weird - the flatbread was not fully cooked and the spinach artichoke dip was "different" to say the least. The chips with it were stale. We ordered our actual dinners, which took FOREVER to come out. While we were waiting, the waitress brought us new drinks... she actually brought out glasses of soda with no ice in them and set them on the table and told us to just pour them into our other glasses... weird right? I asked for a couple glasses of ice since our other glasses no longer had any ice in them and she looked at me like I was nuts. Moving on, I ordered the pork tenderloin, my husband ordered shrimp and steak cooked medium, our friends ordered shrimp and pasta with broccoli and tuna steak well done. The food was served by another man named Lee, who was not our server. He was sweating like crazy and shaking all over the place. (The sweat stains in the pits of his shirt made my ten year old grossed out.) The meals were served by him one at a time...my husband got his meal first which he promptly sent back because his steak was RAW on the inside. It was cold to the touch! Then my pork came...I am not even sure what to say about it, the sauce was supposed to be apple bourbon...it tasted like bottled bbq sauce. The green beans had walnuts in them - our two year old is allergic to nuts so it was kind of scary not to be told that there would be nuts on the table... especially since half the world is allergic to nuts! The pasta came next...broccoli hard - not cooked at all. It took another 20 minutes for the tuna steak to come out... And it looked horrible. It was very thin and sliced into 6 or 7 pieces. Their was a hair on it too. Our friend sent it back and told them never mind she didnt want anything, she had lost her appetite. At that, I was also done...I had taken a few bites of my pork tenderloin but was grossed out so we got up and left with the children. We left our two husbands to deal with the check. It took close to twenty minutes for :Lee" to bring the check to them after they asked for it. And he didnt even take off the tuna steak which was sent back immediately. They argued and listed out everything that was wrong, so they finally removed the tuna from the ticket, but insisted they pay for everything else. I could not believe it and I still can not believe it. My husband sent me away when I came back to find out what was wrong and what was taking so long because he knew I would never have paid for all of that. I would only have agreed to pay for the children's meals and the drinks. Maybe the appetizers too, but never the adult entrees. What an experience - it was terrible. I assume anyone who has given this place good reviews was only staying here and not eating here! By the time we left there were four other tables with people at them who were also complaining about the terrible service. One woman ordered a glass of wine that never came. She finally got up and went to the bar and got it herself! I could really go on and on! I am giving it average reviews on the sleep quality thru room service because we did not stay there, only dined there so I do not know about that stuff!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Liz D
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We stumbled on Lake Lure while seeing Chimney Rock Park next door. After looking at some of the other accommodations we decided to give the inn a try. The lobby is beautiful and, along with the sizable hallways, showcases many antiques from the era around when the hotel was built. Featured heavily are music boxes of various kinds as well as statuary and various pictures from the era. There's definitely a lot of charm. That said, our room was tiny - barely fitting two beds and a small dresser. The bathroom even smaller and had no vent. It did have one of the best hotel showers I've ever seen, though. But after the shower the humidity was 100%. And breakfast was what others here have described - not a whole lot but enough to eat.

We plan to go back simply because the area is so nice. I do wish the hotel was a little more reasonably priced. We paid $150 for a room on the back side of the hotel with two king beds (very comfortable) and no view.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mdchaney
Lake Lure, North Carolina
Reviewed June 26, 2012

George and Hope have put a great deal of thought and effort into their renovation of the Inn, while remaining true to the period and tone of a by-gone era. The rooms in the Inn are true to the period as well, meaning a bit small by today's standards but how much time do you spend in the room anyway, other than to sleep? The lobby and veranda are wonderful while the flowers and shrubs are well maintained and lovely. Level land in the mountains is at a premium but there is an adequate pool and sunbathing area highlighted with some shrubs, trees, and flowers. Given the space available, they've done a good job incorporating the pool into the Inn's theme. The staff is friendly and very willing to share information on sites and events in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have the best views but also the most noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diane M
Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at The Lake Lure Inn in June 2012. I found the history of the inn fascinating. The lobby and the common areas are filled with wonderful antiques and treasures dating back to the 1920's. The rooms leave a little to be desired. We were on the third floor and our room was tiny. The bed took up most of the space. The bathrooms were clean but outdated. My husband, who is 6'3, could barely fit in the bathroom and shower the ceilings were so low. I found it sort of funny that the hotel left a flyer in our room that the outbreak of ladybugs in the hotel was a sign of good luck. A bug is a bug in my book! The lake is gorgeous. Unfortunately, the city of Lake Lure put an ugly fence around the beach. They charge $8 per person to even walk on the beach. It was sad that there was no place to sit and enjoy a view of the lake or stroll along the beach.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Jennifer M
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

A nicely done renovation displays many reminders of yesteryear. They did leave some opportunities on the table, though. The pool and terrace are positively charmless. Breakfast is served in the gift shop (no joke) and consists of Danishes and coffee. There is no other option on site. The rooms are smallish and mine was overpowered by a huge wooden bed. The bathroom was period, with a shower alcove almost hidden behind the door. All was clean and functional, if not tasteful. The food at the restaurant (7.30pm last seating!) was really good and so was the service.
Not a must visit, but certainly a novel place when staying in the area. Dirty Dancing fans must stay here!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 3 in Chimney Rock
The Lodge on Lake Lure
The Lodge on Lake Lure
#1 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to The 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!