“Just what we needed!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Lake Lure B&B and Inns
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Just what we needed!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had a great stay here for two nights over Labor Day weekend. I booked the trip at the last minute (literally the day before we arrived) and everything worked out smoothly. The room was clean and had everything we needed for our 2 day stay. The location was great, not too far from everything to see near Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. The beds were a little soft for my liking, but I guess everyone has a personal preference and there were no issues connecting to Wifi.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joe L

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Large rooms very clean and very comfortable. We had a great stay at The Willowbrook just prior to Labor Day. Convenient to everything in the area. The innkeeper Chuck is a great guy as well. Hospitality personified.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fred B
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

My friend and I stayed here because it is close to Lake Lure, where the Dirty Dancing festival was held.

First of all, this is a small Inn, not a five star hotel. There are eight rooms.

Our keys were also in an envelope on the office door. The room number and directions to our room were noted on the envelope (not that it would be difficult to find.) One key opens the room, and after asking Chuck, the manager, found that the other key opens the room in which the ice machine is located.

Chuck is not only the manager, he is the maintenance man and cleaning crew. He is a very friendly guy, and very helpful. If you should have an issue, he will do his best to resolve it. When he isn't in his office, his number is posted. If you should find yourself in need of anything, he will be there within minutes.

Our room was clean, had two comfortable queen beds, a kitchen, a small eating bar, a closet (with plenty of hangers), and a large bathroom. The only "complaint" would be that the shower was a bit small even though there was plenty of room to have a larger one. There is a jacuzzi tub, but we didn't use it.

(There were no water stains in our particular room, but I have stayed in four star hotels in which the wallpaper was peeling and there were water stains.)

There is a deck off of each room with an umbrella table. It is very peaceful and quiet sitting outside.

All of the rooms are tiled, there is no carpet to muffle your footsteps.

Our room was on the first floor, and the person staying above us was "clomping" around in her hard-heeled shoes at 6:30 in the morning. Seems she had something to do with the festival.

I would suggest you ask for a second floor room, and be considerate of the people sleeping below you.

We would definitely stay here again. My husband and I are planning a trip on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. next year, and will make this one our stops!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank aerdna56
Willowbrook I, Manager at Willowbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review Willowbrook Inn. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay during The Dirty Dancing Festival. It was a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for recognizing our efforts to ensure everyone has a pleasant visit with us. We work hard to keep our rooms clean and customers happy. We look forward to your next visit.
Tuxedo, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Our keys were in an envelope hooked to the office door when we arrived. So, we found our room by ourselves (there was a loose plank of wood on the deck leading to the room that I slightly tripped on); and, though we had two keys for what appeared to be a door key and a bolt key, only one key worked. Once inside, we were disappointed in our accommodations for the following reasons:

Water stains on the walks/ceiling (see photos);
No hangers in the closet;
Missing knobs on dresser (photo);
Broken window blind (photo);
Difficult bedroom lamp (appeared to have faulty wiring); and
Both my husband and I had difficulty getting on the internet (if I walked outside, near the office, the device would recognize the network, but not from our room).

I have stayed in a number of better maintained hotel rooms for half the price. We would not return or recommend this inn.

PS I'll try to add the photos I took; if I'm unsuccessful, I'll be happy to provide them to anyone who inquires.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rupert227
Willowbrook I, Owner at Willowbrook Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We are sorry that your stay at Willowbrook Inn was not satisfactory. Your comments are appreciated and we will review the list of problems that you experienced and address the items immediately. We pride ourselves in keeping the rooms exceptionally clean. With the very rainy summer season that we’ve experienced, we found a leak around a vent in the roof above the room in which you stayed which was recently repaired but we had not yet had the opportunity to repaint. I understand that you brought the need for hangers to the attention of our property manager and he remedied that problem for you and wish that you had brought your other concerns to the attention of our property manager so that we could have taken immediate steps to improve your experience at Willowbrook Inn. We regret that your stay did not meet your expectations. If your travels bring you back to Lake Lure, we hope that you will again choose Willowbrook Inn and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Florence, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

We spent the last weekend of July at Willowbrook and fell in love with the Inn. It is located close enough to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock Village that we could enjoy all the activities there but yet was far enough away that we could have relaxing and quiet evenings.

The owner was very helpful recommending the best places for meals (where the locals go!) and we found his suggestions were excellent.

Our room was large and comfortable and even though there was a minor problem on Saturday afternoon with some plumbing, it was quickly repaired and caused no problems for us.

We would highly recommend Willowbrook Inn if you are going to be in the Lake Lure area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tadpole532013
Thank you for your review. We are glad you had a great stay at Willowbrook. We do have some of the nicest rooms in the area! We work really hard to keep them clean. I am happy to offer our guests the inside scoop on the best places to eat in the area as well as all the must sees in the area.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I wanted to get away from the kids and spend some quality time alone. This place was PERFECT! It was somewhat secluded and very peaceful. The room was just the right size and we were just a few miles from a grocery store and Chimney Rock. Even though it was our first time in the area, we would HIGHLY recommend Willowbrook Inn for a nice getaway or for a family trip, as there is a beach/lake just down the road. Thanks Chuck Horton for being so accommodating and such a delight to work with on securing our trip to The Willowbrook Inn in Lake Lure, NC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cynthia A
Thank you CynthiaA for your review. It sounds like you were able to utilize our kitchenettes during your visit. They are a great option for those who might want a meal at their home away from home. I am glad you found us and look forward to your next visit. Hurry back!
Winfield, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

We arrived late, and the owner left the keys for us at the front door, so the check-in was super easy for us. The rooms are spacious and clean. I recommend Willowbrook Inn over a hotel because the rooms have a kitchenette and you can prepare your own meals if you want to save some money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank spiewaa
Thank you for staying at Willowbrook Inn. I am glad to hear our efforts to provide clean accommodations for our guests pays off. You are right about the kitchenettes, they do offer a solution for managing your travel budget.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Lure
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
Grafton Lodge
Grafton Lodge
#3 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to Willowbrook Inn? Share your experiences!