“Wonderful Vacation”

Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife, 2 adult sons, 1 daughter-in-law, and I stayed in the Brown House (named for the owners and not the color) for a week in July. The house was located at the edge of the lake with its own paddle-boat. The view was fantastic and the house was everything we wanted for a vacation retreat. The food and service at the on-site restaurant was excellent, especially "prime-rib night". We took the luncheon Lake Lure cruise offered and it was very entertaining to hear the history. We used the pool, spa, kayaks, and tennis courts on-site. We did horseback riding, zip-line, and visited the famous Lake Lure Inn, Grandfather Mountain, and Chimney Rock on various day trips. The Rumbling Bald Resort staff were very friendly and helpful and when we had a couple of minor maintenance issues they responded immediately. I highly recommend the Resort as a wonderful place to "get away from it all".

Room Tip: Get a lake front house for the view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rick F

Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband, 15 year old daughter, 74 year old mother and I stayed at a Stonecrest Villa, overlooking the golf course for 4 days. The villa was beautiful, clean and very well equipped, I have not a single complaint. We were not on the main resort which meant a short drive to the amenities and restaurants but there was a lovely pool in our area. We would return at a moments notice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Carolyn548
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family and I stayed at this resort during memorial day in a quail cove property. But it needed a carpet cleaning BAD. Cream rugs that looked brown. My fiancé and I stayed in the basement room that you could only access by walking through the master bedroom. It was really musty smelling with dead bugs on the floor ( including a cockroach ). Grossed me out and I would go to sleep telling myself to pretend I was camping outside. I was paranoid that roaches would crawl into my luggage. We kept the windows open to air it out and the smell never went away after 3 days. I even sprayed everything with Lysol. I do like the resort amenities which include stand up kayaking. I think what you have to do is inspect your room before you commit to it or see if they will let you switch if at check in if you aren't happy.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed in a cabin at the resort for a wedding this past weekend! The weather was beautiful and our cabin was well maintained, fully equipped and very spacious. The resort also accommodated the wedding reception and did a wonderful job. Lots of activities at the pool and beach as well as restaurants on site. The resort takes some time to get to and involves lots of curvy roads but the drive is worth it. The scenery is beautiful!! Would definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed in Apple Valley Villas with the kids and loved the activities to do at this resort! For around $100 a night you can get an efficiency rental with kitchen, back porch, very queit area and peaceful...and LOTS to do at the resort! It is beautiful here!

Room Tip: Look at all the pictures and pick a place that has been remodeled or updated recently. Some of the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cloptoncrew
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Lake Lure, NC is a half way point for everyone in the family to meet, from DE, NJ, GA and FL. We stayed at the Fairway Villas. We initially took the very curvy road which I don't suggest taking since there's an alternate route that is less curvy and not that much further to the resort entrance. Both villas we rented had a/c problems when we arrived, but the resort staffs and maintenance personnel were so great and responded so quickly to fix the a/c that it didn't even inconvenient us. The villas we rented were a little bit too far from the pools and lake, but we were able to rent golf carts at a reasonable price that we were able to check out the entire resort and had a wonderful time. Kids were able to see deers and awesome views. Good exercise distance though for walking or running since part golf course and trail with different stages to exercise (pull-up bar, push-up bar, rowing machine, etc..). There was a grocery store near by to buy whatever you forget to bring. If you decide to stay in villa(s) make sure you check the amenities that are important to you. Because the villas have different owners, one of the villas we rented was outdated and no wi-fi. But because we just used it for sleeping and the other villa we rented next to it had wi-fi and updated. We didn't mind the outdated villa since it's next to each other and we needed one of the villas to be pet friendly. The main outdoor pool was big, but needed to be cleaned since there were lots of dry leaves on the bottom. The lazy river was small and you have to bring your own floatation unless you buy it there which kind of pricey. The indoor pool was not heated even though it says heated pool. But the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were nice. Overall everyone had a wonderful time and the resort staffs we encountered were great!

Room Tip: Check the pictures and room descriptions. The pictures and descriptions of the villas we rented were...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Navarre7246
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at the River Runs Through house on Rumbling Bald from 23rd June 2012 to 1st July. My party consisted of 4 adults and 4 children (My kids are 2, 4, 6 and 12yrs old). We can honestly say that we thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of our stay at the resort. Our house was superb; light, airy, very clean, comfortable and fully stocked kitchen and lots of entertainment items for the children (and adults to enjoy).

We were even lucky enough to see the deer in our backyard at least once a day. We found all the staff to be extremely helpful and go out of their way to make our stay even more relaxing and enjoyable. Especially the ladies on the front desk; the staff in the Legends Restaurant who helped us tune the TV's to watch the Euro 2012 Soccer games, the maintenance man who doubles as the Fire Marshall on the Saturday evening Marsh mellow Roast, the friendly staff who greeted us at the Pool each day, the men who run the ice cream shop and hire out the boats, the guys at the security gate and the Lodging Director Steve Rickert who went out of his way to assist me with a wifi issue.

Rumbling Bald is located in a very scenic, beautiful part of North Carolina on the north shores of Lake Lure. Plenty of fun We spent most days on the beach and then an hour or two at the pool in the lazy river. Beach was not over crowded. Plenty of chairs / sun beds. Water was lovely and beach was extremely clean.

We had lot's of fun exploring the surrounding area of Lake Lure town, Chimney Rock and Asheville.

I highly recommend Rumbling Bald to any family looking to have a safe, fun vacation in a very friendly environment. My only disappointment was not been able to get a round of golf in, due to time constraints looking after my kids.... maybe next time.

Nick P
Charlotte, NC

Room Tip: The house 'River Runs Through' was amazing. check it out!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Mountain Lodge
#2 of 6 in Flat Rock
Highland Lake Inn & Resort Hendersonville
Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection

Been to Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure? Share your experiences!