Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
Chimney Rock Inn(Chimney Rock)(Great Value!)
$112
Carter Lodge(Chimney Rock)(Great Value!)
$121
Falls Country Motel(Chimney Rock)(Great Value!)
$89
The Esmeralda Inn(Chimney Rock)
$199
$122
$109
CheapTickets
Fox Run Resort(Lake Lure)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsapple valleyrumbling bald resortlazy rivergolf coursegreat golffairway villasin great shapeindoor poolsecurity gatemini golfchimney rockrent a golf cartfamily vacationrental housetennis courtstrout streamprivate home
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We went over Labor day weekend 2011. We stayed in Quail cove 1626. It was a nice unit and was clean. The phone in the unit didn't work and cellphones had no signal up there. We wanted to call and check on things to do, but couldn't. The unit was supposed to have fishing rods in it, but didn't. We didn't bring our own because they were supposed to be there... that was the activity planned for one day. We woke up with sore backs, not their fault, we just didn't do well on their beds. We ended up leaving a day early. I spoke to front desk, but there seemed to be a lack of info there. I called to talk with them afterward, and left a message but no one has called back a week later. The lake beach was fun. They had a marshmallow roast for the family on Saturday nights (a summer activity that ended on labor day). Overall it was fun, but I should have done more advance work to plan activities.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank msmcm
Reviewed September 9, 2011

The city of Lake Lure doesn't have much in it, but it is a quaint little place with a pretty lake. We stayed at the Rumbling Bald Resort, which we were greatly disappointed in. The amenities were very nice with a large pool area, free internet in the spa and a pretty setting. The condos were in very pitiful condition, at least the one we had. The appliances were pretty new and worked well, but the bath and kitchen area-especially the sinks were disgusting. I could hardly brush my teeth in the bathroom. The cleanliness was nominal. I just would never go back there or recommend it to anyone else. The only good thing about it was the golf course. It was a pretty nice course.

Room Tip: Rooms are not very good
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank hairbill1
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I like Rumbling Bald Resort a lot. It was an incredibly unpretentious environment and filled with unpretentious resort guests. The facility in general and decor of common areas are simple, natural, and timeless. My husband was unexpectedly called out of the country on business, but I took our children to the resort anyway. The direct communication and assistance provided by all the resort and restaurant staff were outstanding and prompt. The facility has 2 pool areas (1 indoor & 1 outdoor). The outdoor pool center has a small lazy river attached to an oval pool; a small 1 foot deep kiddie pool; and a much larger "L" shaped pool and they might be cooled in the summer, because they were incredibly refreshing...also a simple concession stand. There is a large beach with the swim area roped off for in-lake swimming that my children and I enjoyed among the high standing mountains of Lake Lure. There are no lifeguards at the pools or lake beach. We also rented a pontoon boat, pedal boat, and 2 seater kayak with an add-on seat for our 3 year old. On Saturday night we enjoyed roasting marshmallows over the fires the staff built on the beach in barrels...the kids had about 4 marshmallows each and then we joined the movie on the large screen at the beach pavilion until my kids told me they were ready to sleep. We enjoyed dinner, dessert and Sunday brunch at the Lakeview Restaurant....breakfast sandwiches at Legends Grill. Our unit was an Apple Valley Villa Efficiency. It had updated decor and furniture and met our needs comfortably. I was not happy to have booked a unit outside the security gate of the resort (I was informed of this ahead of time/and noticed on the map...would have been okay if my husband were with), the room was only partially set up with the "starter pack"...we had no dish soap and not enough towels to accommodate the number of guests, however, clearly a cleaned/serviced room...I think the staff must lift from one unit and provide for another unit in the same complex instead of going to a central supply so they aren't solving the problems; the kitchenette sink was a wet bar style sink and was way too small for washing the plates and bowls provided in the unit. I can't wait to go back and am ready to spend a little more to book a unit on the main resort and with a full size kitchen. There are tennis courts, golf course, mini-golf, spa and fitness center that we were unable to try.

Room Tip: You can review individual units on the resorts website and request at time of booking.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Snapples42
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We rented a private home for the week for 7 adults and 4 children; what a time we had. This is the most active vacation I've ever had. The kids could choose from two pools or the lake for swimming every day. The playground by the lake was fun and they could take their sand toys and floats. The gym, basketball, corn hole, chess and checkers along with bicycle riding, putt putt, eating, sleeping, hiking, horseback riding, motorcycle riding and a couples massage....we did it all, and still didn't get to do everything we wanted to do! The grocery store was a bit far away and they could use a closer gas station, but the staff were helpful and accommodating. Will definitely go there again for family vacation.

Room Tip: Use Homeaway.com, look at pics, and if possible review the homes personally before you rent. Lots of inconsistencies on places to rent.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wolfcreekmimi
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Recently stayed at Rumbling Bald and had a great time. Lots of fun stuff to do and the views were beautiful. The house my family stayed in was nice and clean.

Room Tip: The house we stayed in was great. No problems at all.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family