“Mixed feelings”

Jack Mackerel's Island Grill
Ranked #2 of 7 Restaurants in Kure Beach
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

This is a very friendly establishment, nice bar and a good vibe going on. We ate here four or five times and our feelings are mixed. Firstly the burgers are really great, excellent in fact. Also the snow crab pot was good value and very good, as good as anywhere in Kure beach. The issue is the shrimp and clam dishes where everything is fried heavily. I guess when we go to a seafood resteraunt we expect large shrimp in shells, lobster and oysters in shell also but here we didn't get this. Perhaps our expectations are top high but with the Shucking Shack in Carolina Beach able to do this, I think Jack Macks are missing an opportunity to do mainstream excellent seafood with shells on. Still it's a nice place and we went back many times so please don't take this as negative, just it could be more positive!

“Fun Place”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Great Patio outside, food was good. Service was a little slow but they were packed. I wish the upper area had a bar, that would put this place into the excellent catergory

Visited June 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great service and good food!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We took a ferry from Southport to Kure Beach, I found this place using trip advisor. We were seated immediately, and our server promptly greater us and took our drink orders. I had a passion fruit Margarita that was yummy. We had a crab dip appetizer, it was good but could have used some Old Bay to spice it up. The menu was large so we asked for suggestions, she recommended the Blackened Grouper and BBQ Shrimp. My husband ordered the fish he loved it, I had the BBQ Shrimp. The shrimp were big, wrapped in bacon, smothered in a tasty sauce and grilled to perfection! The server was attentive and very pleasant. We will return when in the area again.

Visited August 2014
Chicago
“Decent food in a very nice rural town”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

A bit pricy for what I got (fried shrimp) but definitely better than Big Daddy's across the street. Sitting upstairs had a great view, but the service was slow (especially the drink refills). Salads were above average. If there is one good place to go in Kure Beach, this is it.

• Visited August 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Fun choice, a bit pricey”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were traveling in a big group and were looking for a restaurant that could accommodate us all. Jack MacKerels has a large menu but most of the seafood items were pretty pricey. I got the mahi mahi, which was good. My husband really liked the broiled scallops as well. Everyone in our party was fairly pleased with the food quality, but the majority of the items were fried unless you wanted to pay more to have them broiled. Service was not bad, but also not fantastic. All in all, the experience was just so-so, which I remembered from the last time I visited.

• Visited July 2014