“Awesome Island food”

Jack Mackerel's Island Grill
Ranked #3 of 8 Restaurants in Kure Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Awesome, specials & good people....The Ribeye is one of the best I have ever had!

The bar is a great place to watch football on sundays, great beer specials....From Skip the bartender, to Daniel a server, the staff is just awesome! Great place to eat

Reviewed November 15, 2012

See title. A little pricey, but good atmosphere and food was good. I would go again (after visiting all the other seafood restaurants in the area)!

Reviewed November 13, 2012

the food is always delicious and the service is great! I love the menu options and the atmosphere has a great island feel.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

My food was decent, but it was not amazing like I would have expected for the price that we paid. I had the rum and plantain chicken and the glaze was very good. However, the chicken was dry, very thin, and small. For beach visitors, it is probably too convenient to skip (it's one of four dinner places in Kure Beach), but expect to pay a high price for average tasting food. They do have a really nice outside seating area, but overall there are way better restaurants elsewhere in the Wilmington area.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were in Carolina Beach for two nights last weekend and after a not-so-great meal at Fishbites (see separate review) the night before, we looked for a new place to try. We read the reviews and decided to try Jack Mackerels. We are so glad we did! First off, the only real negative we experienced through the whole meal was the Seafood Chowder...it wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. Our son, age 9, got the Kid's Shrimp - he was served a really large portion of shrimp and unlike most of the times he has ordered this, the shrimp was actually delicious! My husband commented that it was definitely the best shrimp he had ever had from a "kid’s meal". I ordered the combo sea scallops/oysters (fried) with the homemade chips as my side. Outstanding preparation on both - lightly battered, not greasy, not overly salty. My husband ordered the steamed shrimp and loved them. One of the best parts of our meal was our server, Derek. He was so attentive to all of our needs and from the very beginning, he seemed to genuinely enjoy taking care of us. It seems to get harder and harder to find this trait these days, and we truly appreciated how he treated us. We were very impressed with our visit overall and I did take the time to let the manager know how much we enjoyed the food, and especially, the service we received from Derek. We will definitely be back on our next visit!

2  Thank supur38