“Not worth it!”

Jack Mackerel's Island Grill
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Kure Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We went here for lunch because my cousin, who is local, said it was good and reasonable. They open at 11 for lunch, but when we arrived at 11:30 the doors were locked. We found a busboy who was just coming in for work, and he said they just "forgot" to open the main doors! Also, I ordered the fish and chips and got two TINY pieces of cod that were not fresh, and it was 10 bucks! Ten dollars for two tiny pieces of frozen fish and potatoe chips! And our waiter was a snob, and very rude!

There are newer reviews for Jack Mackerel's Island Grill

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The few times I have eaten here have been worth the trip. There is something for everyone. The seafood always tastes fresh.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Went to Jack Mackerels our first night in Kure Beach. Don't be surprised by the exterior as you drive by. Looks like a dive and is very deceiving. Nice interior however and larger then it seems from the outside. We had a young waiter who was terrific. Wish I could remember his name but it slips me now. He recommended the seafood Bisque and crabdip for appetizers. Both were great. Large menu with Seafood, steak, Chicken and pasta. We had 11 in our party and all were very satisfied with the meals. Portions were large and very tasty. Would definitely go back on the next trip.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Always good food, always good service, tasty, fresh seafood. Only negative is the lack of a more varied menu for the kids and picky eaters. I love flavor and exotic food but my daughter is a little more grilled cheese than me and she had a tough time finding something she would like. Other than that, always happy at Jack's!

Reviewed September 4, 2012

They have a nice bar area with sports on the TV, a separate dining area with inside and outside seating. The food is always good. Last weekend was unusually packed (labor day), but our experience was awesome. I have had the ribs, the seafood, and the jack's burger, all good. Service is good. We have gone as couples and with our kids. I read some comments about value. Jacks prices are in line with a modern restaurant. My wife and I both had seafood dishes and soft drinks and our bill was around $40. If you are looking for a seafood house, cheap, dining hall atmosphere, this ain't it. Highly recommend!
You must check out the boat in the wall mural in the back dining area. Wherever you go, the boat is always pointing toward you. Awesome.