“Very accommodating”

Jack Mackerel's Island Grill
Ranked #2 of 8 Restaurants in Kure Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had a group of 14. 6 adults and 8 kids. They were able to seat us within 15 minutes at 5:30pm. They sat all 8 kids at a tiki hut table. They loved it as they felt independent from the adults. Service was very good. The food was pretty good as well. Good selection of seafood and steaks.

Reviewed July 14, 2011

THe night we went, there were no bus boy on duty, so the [wait staff and surly hostesses had to bus and clean tables, resulting in excessive waits even though there were empty tables.
Very few of the fish dishes involved fresh local fish. The seared tuna salad was completely lacking in flavour. Little mandarin orange sections out of a can and unseasoned tuna on lettuce.
One of us ordered a dozen oysters and was presented with a dish of unshucked oysters and a shucking knife. We were staggered -- what kind of restaurant doesn't prepare the food for the guests ??? The manager said flatly and unapologetically that it was "their policy" that customers must shuck their own oysters. Our waiter said " I don't eat that stuff and I have no idea how to do it."
What a miserable experience.

Reviewed July 7, 2011

We went here twice and both times, we had some good food and some underwhelming food. I wish I had something impressive to say about the place, but I don't. For the money, it was an ok meal, but its not the kind of place where I would go out of my way to go back.

Reviewed June 30, 2011

Went with my kids the other night and honestly had the best meal, we ordered the Old Bay homemade chips which were fantastic for an appetizer. Kids just got usual kid fare but was delicious. I had fried oysters and scallops and they were fresh and lightly breaded and fantastic. We sat inside but my hubby arrives tonight and we will go back again tomorrow night and sit outside. Really great. It's the locals favorite too!

2  Thank RP8133
Reviewed June 15, 2011

After reading several reviews, decided to try Jack Mackerals Island Grill. We sat outside which was nice. We found the food to be very good and the wait stay very attentive. The food came quickly and was exactly what we ordered. We started with some calamari which was good. I had the fish chowder which I would recommend. Another in our party had the Caribbean Salad with the Jerk Shrimp. The portion size was large and the seasoning was spicy, even for my family who all like their food hot and tangy.

1  Thank NittanyLioninNC