“Love this place!!! Great staff, great family spot, very affordable!”
Review of Sand Dunes Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
Sand Dunes Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kure Beach
Goldsboro, North Carolina
“Love this place!!! Great staff, great family spot, very affordable!”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We stayed in a 3rd floor/2 room efficiency twice last summer with another couple. We really love it here. Yes the place is old but it is in the process of a remodel. The room we stayed in was cozy and roomy. You cannot beat the rates for the ammenities and oceanfront view. There is another hotel right next door (Admiral's Quarters) that is owned by the same people so you have access to two pools, And a large Gazebo/deck with lots of seating and there is even a grill available which we took advantage of. It is very convenient to the pier and a lifeguard tower. Walk to the water is very short. It is also convenient to a gas station and Two nice restaurants. The restaurant we ate at is on the same side of street as hotel and we enjoyed eating there. The other is the very well known Big Daddy's which we plan to visit our next trip, it was too long of a wait last year. The window unit a/c is a little noisy but most are and after a long day at the beach it in no way kept me awake. Having a stove and full size fridge plus microwave, sink and coffee pot was wonderful. I don't understand why or how other people are saying this place or the place next door was so awful and nasty, but it just isn't true. If you have a problem the staff will address it quickly even if the floor needs a quick vaccum from the sand your family most likely dragged in. We had this sand issue of cours but we didn't complain we just used a broom to sweep the carpet. Our kids also loved staying here. My only concern/complaint was the balcony making me very nervous as the wood was old and unstable on the railing BUT on our second visit the unsteady sections had been replaced I tend to be a worry wart when it comes to this but I solved my fears quickly by just making the smaller kids stay inside and off of the balcony. I was perfectly comfortable sitting out there with adults. Kids just make me nervous on balconies. Anyways, the balcony was very comfortable, I just loved the old rocking chairs and although I could not see over the top rail while seated I could still see the ocean just fine through the slats and stood up occasionally to get a full view. The pools were great for the kids and they were as clean as can be expected when right on the beach (I cannot believe anyone would complain that there is sand in them, HELLO you are at the beach) Anyways, like I said this place is awesome and it is so reasonably priced. We will be making more that a couple trips back this year and probably next year too if the Air Force doesn't send us somewhere new. I would reccomend this family hotel to anyone who needs an affordable break. But if you are older or just expect a snazzy and kid free place you should probably stay down the street at the hampton/hilton and spend at least twice as much and maybe even tripple. People who come on these site and bad mouth a business when it's not true really get under my skin. But they usually tell on themselves when they say ignorant things like (We were at the beach and they had the nerve to have sand in the pools.) Get real people! And I would like to personally than the owners and management at these two hotels for making it possible for small time people like us to stay at a nice place and have a beach vacay! Keep up the good work!!!

Room Tip: Reserve 3rd floor 2 room suite, 3 day min.
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank MommyMandy

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Greensboro
Reviewed August 22, 2010

We booked two adjoining rooms, because we have 4 kids (2 teens, 2 young) and that's all that was available. They did discount the rooms, but it was still more expensive than a single efficiency that slept six, and they wouldn't discount it any more. I called back to ask if the rooms were indeed non-smoking, and I was assured that they were. When we arrived, our rooms were in the motel next door to the Sand Dunes, the Admiral Inn. One room was smoking, complete with ash trays. The facilities in the room were very dated, but it was at least clean. You have to remember to hang out a sign to get fresh towels, and you have to pay for the ice machine. It felt a little like bait and switch to me, but we've not rented a room at the beach in years, so I'm not sure if these things are the norm there or not.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jbstewart

Travelers are raving about these Kure Beach hotels

Statesville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 9, 2010

My friend and I stayed here looking for a quiet getaway and we just loved it! The amenities are old, but it's obvious they make an effort to keep the place as clean and well-kept as possible--our room was spotless when we arrived. Our beds were clean and comfortable. There was good water pressure in the bathroom (unlike many beach accomodations) and we were provided with fresh towels and washcloths daily. All of the staff members were very helpful and courteous. We locked ourselves out of our room rather late one evening; the man in the office had no problem unlocking it for us and was very good-natured about the whole thing. The atmosphere was quiet and family-oriented. The beach is beautiful and clean.The motel is located within walking distance of the pier and some really great restaurants, and it's just a short drive to Fort Fisher and to the Carolina Beach Boardwalk, which is a big plus. Just a couple of tips--coffee drinkers may want to bring their own coffee maker (we found that ours was a little unpredictable), the parking lots are just a little tight, and all the doors lock automatically so be sure to keep your keys handy. I'm a pretty picky person and I'm used to upscale hotels, but I can't complain about The Sand Dunes. We definitely plan on returning for our next beach trip!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caitlin023
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2010

This was by far the best deal and best stay Ive ever had at the beach. The rooms were nice not great. We had a room with a kitchen, a more than serviceable bathroom, and an amazing view. The staff was friendly an courteous. The beach was clean and beautiful. The pool was great with ability to see the ocean as you swim in it. The restaurants with the exception of Big Daddys (over priced and under cooked) were good. The best being The Sea Witch Cafe at Carolina beach.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
north carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Choose to stay at this facility for the first time and was very disappointed. We had an efficiency room which we were never told had an extremely small shower in it along with a bathroom that was overly small and very unfunctionable. Although we were told that we should have been told of this when making the reservation the management worried only about the money and not about taking care of his customers. After asking him for help he only offered an even smaller room that he knew would not accomodate our fam ily. The room we stayed in was in disarray, with a broken bed that we repaired ourselves to make it work, a window that would not close, a chair that we held together with duct tape and outside furniture that had seen its better days. There was a sofa bed in this unit that was absolutely nasty and broken down and was in need of being put in the dumpster. The room was not clean with dust being everywhere, a refrigerator that had molded food in it. As a whole we felt that we paid good money for sub parr facilities. We even saw roaches all over the place including our room. I will never stay here again nor will I reccommend this motel to any of my friends. As a matter of fact I will discourage any of my friends from making the same mistake I made. The location of this facilty is the only good thing I can say about it and it is sad because it has such potential.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank disappointed14
joiseygirl55
Reviewed August 4, 2009

A little fifties- no frills, no wi-fi, no fancy smelling organic toiletries- not that that is a bad thing.. very relaxing. Hotel is very clean, the staff friendly and capable, ocean views are stunning and is centrally located next to the only restaurants in Kure Beach. There is a lifeguard stand right in front of the hotel; the water and sand are very clean (hey, I'm from Jersey- it's a concern). Would highly recommend for young families with small children. You can drive into Carolina Beach one night for the "rides" and to the Fort Fischer Aquarium on a cloudy day. I really had a very nice time there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank joiseygirl55
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I have been coming to Kure Beach for a number of years, but this was my first stay at the Sand Dunes. My room was not fancy with marble counter tops, but it was sufficient. It was clean, it had a bed and a bathroom with running water, and that is really all you need. The linens were clean and ample. The Sand Dunes is ocean front, so it was just a short 2-3 minute walk to the beach. There are also 3 pools to choose from. My room was not ocean front, but I could see the ocean from the porch in front of the door. This is an older motel with some newer additions. My room was in the older section. I have read some posts here that say it is run down....I wouldn't go that far. This place more resembles the old motor courts that some of us older people are familiar with. This place is also just a short walk from the Kure Beach Pier and within walking distance of Jack Mackeral's which in my humble opinion, is one of the best places to eat on the island. I have also read that the staff is friendly but hard to find. I found that yes, they were friendly and helpful....and I could always find someone to help me when I needed them. If you are looking for a place that is luxurious, this is not the place for you....there are plenty of 200 dollar plus a night places where you can get that. If you are looking for a nice, clean, inexpensive place to stay, then The Sand Dunes is your place at the beach. I wil definitely go back again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
#4 of 6 in Kure Beach
Drydock Motel
Drydock Motel
#11 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to Sand Dunes Motel? Share your experiences!