“Freddie's Let Us Down”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I decided to vacation at Kure Beach this year. Being our first night, we were not quite in the mood for seafood. My wife had read about Freddie's, so we decided to try the restaurant. Upon entering the restaurant we were immediately greeted by a hostess who directed us to a tiny table in the corner next to a family with a small child that was screaming and crying. Since we did not care to sit next to the crying child, we asked for a booth. We were curtly informed that a booth would be a 45 minute wait. We agreed and took a walk on the pier. We returned about thirty minutes later.The hostess did not seem to remember us, but several booths had become available. We ordered the spaghetti with marinara sauce with a side order of meatballs. Our waiter was very attentive and professional. We were brought fresh bread and Italian bread dip which was very good. After quite a wait, unusual since the restaurant had emptied out a bit, we received our meal. It was very hot and apparent that everything had been freshly prepared. The pasta was perfectly cooked and the marinara sauce, while a bit sweet, was very good. The meatball order consisted of one meatball. To our surprise, it was very meaty, typical of a all beef meatball. Not what I expected. Freddie's is a bit pricey and while they have the atmosphere of a great Italian restaurant, they fall a bit short. Will probably not visit again.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My husband and I were in Kure Beach for a little weekend getaway and had dinner at Freddie's.
I must say the wait staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was excellent!! The portions are large so plan on getting a to go box! It is just to good to go to waste! Loved the famous candle and are inspired to try it for ourselves! We will certainly be back!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Very good little restaurant. We went in off season because we had been told the line goes around the block in the summer. Wait staff were very professional and extremely friendly. They are known for their pork chops. My friend had one of the specialties with pples and it was spectacular. My husband had "the special pork chop" and it was good but not something he would order again. Needed some sauce. I had the eggplant parm w hich was very good. All the portions are quite large. The bread us excellent, as was the salad. The salad is served family style. My only complaint is that if you gave 6 people you don't want to be in a booth. It was very tight. The restaurant is very small. I would highly recommend you go.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Screw the recent reviews. If you're in the area, don't miss Freddie's. You can make reservations up until Memorial Day. If you don't have reservations, please don't be in a hurry. Afterwards, they have a great process. Since the joint is so small, they give you an estimate as to when you may be served, and then you go to a local bar and await the phone call, telling you our table is ready. Then the experience begins. They pour you a good drink. Since it is Italian, their wine list is foreign, but reasonable. Their service is OK, but their food is wonderful. Forget the pork chops, which most people find very good. Their seafood appetizers are spicy, but fresh and marvelous. Their family style served salad is very good, but the homemade dressing is so good, you will buy some to take home with you. The veal, rack of lamb and steaks are exceptional, served with your choice of several pastas. Trust me on this one. It's a keeper.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We moved to Wilmington, NC a few weeks ago and have found some great restaurants. Several people told us to try Freddy's - a little Italian place that is famous for their pork chops. I thought, well - okay.. a pork chop is not normally something I order when out to dinner but will try it some time. My husband and I went Easter Sunday evening. Cute restaurant... waitress was very nice. We told her we were new in town, she acknowledged that. We decided on the special pork chop of the day at $18 or two for $24. The pork chop was delicious as was the salad prior to the entree being served. The chops are so large that we never touched the 2nd one and took it home with us.
What irritated me and is definitely the reason that we will never return to the restaurant is that there was a $5 split plate charge on the bill and the waitress never told us about it.
She knew we had never been there before, knew we hadn't looked over the menu well (where it is probably noted) as we ordered the special pretty quickly, we ordered the larger plate with 2 chops... I fully understand a split charge but the fact they offer a larger plate with 2 chops, charged $6 more for it and then charged a $5 split charge without mentioning it to us is just dishonest. For a waitress to think she can make a bit more on a tip doing that is ridiculous. We naturally did not tip on the $5 charge... Never to return there as good as the food was.