We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kure Beach
South Wind Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kure Beach
Reviewed August 8, 2009

The South Wind Motel is a great value for a family looking for a budget beach vacation. The motel is ocean front with fantastic views and very easy access to the life guarded beach. The boardwalk to the beach has just four steps which makes it easy to get your chairs and umbrellas down to the shoreline. Great restaurants, an arcade and the fishing pier are all within a few hundred feet of the motel. Fort Fisher and the Aquarium are about 10 minutes away as well. We saved enough on our trip that on checkout day we went to the local water park in Wilmington (Jungle Rapids) and had a blast there too.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed July 28, 2009

stayed at the south wind with my husband and some in-laws had a wonderful time and our room was very clean and it was right on the beach next to the pier and many good eating places the new owners are very nice and they are trying to get the motel back in shape and I think they have done a very good job we will be going back to the south wind again

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Two years ago, I vowed never to return to Kure Beach and South Wind. Learned the Pilchers had resumed ownership and decided to give it another try. What a difference a few months can make. Since January 2009, they have cleaned up the motel, replaced many appliances, and greatly improved the motel overall. Our experience this visit was great. The staff was friendly and immediately resolved any problems visitors had. It's like the old days when the Pilchers, Willoughbys, and Kures owned the motel. Welcome back to the Pilcher family. We will be back next year. Thanks for a great vacation. Some of our family fished (deep sea and flounder) and we brought home over 200 lbs of fish. Anyone for a fish fry?

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2009

My son and my grandson stayed here on our fishing trip.It was my grandsons first time at the beach,and the clean room and the new owners made us feel right at home.Thanks again for a great experience my grandson had.I will be bringing them down again next year.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2008

This place is an absolute dump!! We selected this motel because of its proximity to the pier to take our kids fishing, but I now know that was a huge mistake. We reserved a non-smoking room. However, the people next door to us had a smoking room and the smoke was so bad filtering through the door in between the two rooms that it literally woke us up and we thought the motel was on fire. The walls are paper thin. We could hear our neighbors beside us moving chairs, laughing, etc. and the people above us walking back and forth. If it had not been pouring down rain, I would have left during the middle of that first night. The sheets had so many stains on them that they were disgusting. The mattresses and box springs also were stained and nasty looking. The floors were disgusting. When we got there, there may have been half a roll of toilet paper left for us. Thank goodness it was October and the kids didn't want to go swimming because the pool looked nasty. The parking is terrible. I know this is a "fisherman's" motel, but it wasn't even equipped for that. There was no place to rinse off your stuff which probably explains why the rooms were so disgusting. And for what they were charging a night, they have some nerve!!! My sister-in-law rented a 3 bedroom house across the street and paid only $15 more a night than we paid for our trashy room with two beds. It was an absolutely horrible experience. I would NEVER EVER stay in this motel again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. The best thing they can do is bulldoze this place and rebuild!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Belk
SouthWindMotelKure, owner/manager at South Wind Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2009

The South Wind Motel has new owners!Actually, the old owners are back and are currently in process of cleaning up not only our property, but our image as well. There are a lot of bad reviews out there and to be honest, they are probably quite accurate. The property was not taken care of over the last several years the same way we maintained it from 1993-2002. Since we re-purchased the South Wind Motel in January of this year, we have deep cleaned and fixed up the motel considerably. As a "mom and pop" motel in a tough economy, we have lowered our rates to re-establish a connection with customers we have lost over the last several years. We have the best location in Kure Beach, oceanfront and right next to the fishing pier and all of the restaurants, as well as a friendly staff and very clean accomodations. Please do not let the negative reviews discourage you from giving us a chance, we assure you that a lot has changed!

Reviewed August 19, 2007

We stayed at the Southwinds for only 1 night and we are so glad that was all. We were charged $158 for one night and it was horrible. The room had a smell, the carpets were filthy, leaking air conditioners, front door barely locked, just a really run down motel. We will never recommend this place to anyone. Total ripoff!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abbagwee
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I paid $162.72 for one night, I heard this was a nice motel. Since I was in the office for the Admiral's Quarters Motel I thought this would be where i would be staying. Wrong! instead I was put in room 400 at South Winds Motor Inn next door. The room did have a smell, but went away after a bit. The lights went from bright to dim the whole time. Carpet was not the cleanest, but at the beach carpet normally has a different feel. Beds were in need of replacement. Bathroom fan sounded like it was about to break as it had a LOUD sound coming from it. The nice part was the outside, it had rocking chairs. I will not stay here again for the price was way too high for that room.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
#4 of 6 in Kure Beach
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
Surfside Lodge Oceanfront
#13 of 19 in Carolina Beach

Been to South Wind Motel? Share your experiences!